Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Codes 129 & 132 EGR valve voltage low  (Read 3965 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Codes 129 & 132 EGR valve voltage low
« on: 01 March 2019, 11:59:19 »

1999 2.5 petrol manual estate
EML came on this morning for 5 minutes, then went off again. Reader said codes 129 and 132 EGR voltage low, and EGR wrong. feedback wrong. I know left hand cat rattles, might this be the cause, or could it be something else?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Codes 129 & 132 EGR valve voltage low
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2019, 12:33:37 »

Remove egr, and blank it off.clean egr, replace, Should solve problem.
Hoof'land storeman.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2019, 17:29:37 »

Thanks. I hope this would not be an MOT fail if the tester spots it! I read last year that under new regulations any attempts to neutralise emission devices would be sought by testers and punished accordingly.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2019, 13:15:20 »

I know left hand cat rattles, might this be the cause, or could it be something else?
The rattle from the nearside cat will likely be the heatshield on the downpipe from the manifold to the cat. They all corrode and get loose and move on the pipe. Usually both sides are affected so I guess your offside cat is newer, or maybe the offside shield has fallen off.

Folks clamp them up or otherwise jam them to stop the rattles. Or I've read reports on here that it's OK to cut them off altogether. Or live with it.

Get underneath the car, engine cold, jam the heatshield to stop it rattling, thump the cat with the side of your clenched fist. If you can hear a rattle from inside the cat then the matrix is broken and the cat will have to be replaced. However if that was the case you would have other symptoms such as sudden loss of power or rough running for no apparent reason. Maybe after hitting a bump.

I don't think blanking the EGR would fail the MOT, unless maybe the EML was on during the test.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2019, 20:31:16 »

Thanks. I hope this would not be an MOT fail if the tester spots it! I read last year that under new regulations any attempts to neutralise emission devices would be sought by testers and punished accordingly.

Won't even know, as it's all still there and connected,...  Get a beanz tin, cut fold in half,draw around egr valve, cut out,  smear surfaces with sealer of choice, refit egr with nice new beanz gasket...:y
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2019, 20:45:30 »

Won't even know, as it's all still there and connected,...  Get a beanz tin, cut fold in half,draw around egr valve, cut out,  smear surfaces with sealer of choice, refit egr with nice new beanz gasket...:y
Has to be Heinz beans or you will invalidate your warranty ,your family will disown you and your con rods will punch big holes in the block (so you will spend much more money on oil ) so cheap beanz is a false economy  :y TB will confirm  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 March 2019, 12:25:04 »

Thanks for advice.
On a more serious note, some years ago, on advice from this forum (Chris Gixer?), I removed the SAI kit from my 2.5s. Will this upset my MOT tester?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2019, 12:39:30 »

Thanks for advice.
On a more serious note, some years ago, on advice from this forum (Chris Gixer?), I removed the SAI kit from my 2.5s. Will this upset my MOT tester?

How will he know? He looks at a dozen cars a day, and you're talking about detail system on a car that's at best almost twenty years old. A system that the owner won't notice is missing unless it had failed.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 March 2019, 12:46:08 »

Thanks for advice.

How will he know? He looks at a dozen cars a day, and you're talking about detail system on a car that's at best almost twenty years old. A system that the owner won't notice is missing unless it had failed.
I hope you are right. It's just that right at the top and front of the bonnet there is an air valve with a hose on one side and nothing on the other. Maybe I should remove that too.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 March 2019, 12:49:43 »

I hope you are right. It's just that right at the top and front of the bonnet there is an air valve with a hose on one side and nothing on the other. Maybe I should remove that too.

That solenoid was the only part of the SAI I kept; the ECU didnt like it not being connected. I had removed the vacuum hose at it's other end.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 March 2019, 18:19:03 »

As Nick said, remove the lot, blank egr off, leave the solenoid and egr plugged in.. happy days.

It's very self explanatory when you start.
Hoof'land storeman.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2019, 14:54:29 »

I know left hand cat rattles, might this be the cause, or could it be something else?
The rattle from the nearside cat will likely be the heatshield on the downpipe from the manifold to the cat. They all corrode and get loose and move on the pipe. Usually both sides are affected so I guess your offside cat is newer, or maybe the offside shield has fallen off.

Folks clamp them up or otherwise jam them to stop the rattles. Or I've read reports on here that it's OK to cut them off altogether. Or live with it.

Get underneath the car, engine cold, jam the heatshield to stop it rattling, thump the cat with the side of your clenched fist. If you can hear a rattle from inside the cat then the matrix is broken and the cat will have to be replaced. However if that was the case you would have other symptoms such as sudden loss of power or rough running for no apparent reason. Maybe after hitting a bump.

I don't think blanking the EGR would fail the MOT, unless maybe the EML was on during the test.
That's the case. Last 2 MOTs it has struggled hrough on emissions, after tester has thumped the cat. I hope that might work again this year. Aftermarket cats are about £100 and only last one year. I think Vx cats cost over £1000; car only cost £249 3 years ago.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2019, 16:12:29 »

If the matrix is broken which would seem to be the case here then I don't believe there is any way to fix it. The broken ceramic can move and obstruct the exhaust which causes a sudden power loss.

It's not so much the cost of the car as whether it's worth it to you to fix it. The Vauxhall cats for the 2.5/3.0 V6 are reputed to be much more robust that the 2.6/3.2 version. And better than the aftermarket cats they sell now. If you can find a good used original that might be the way to go. However the youngest is going to be 10 years old at least.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2019, 16:59:00 »

If the matrix is broken which would seem to be the case here then I don't believe there is any way to fix it. The broken ceramic can move and obstruct the exhaust which causes a sudden power loss.

It's not so much the cost of the car as whether it's worth it to you to fix it. The Vauxhall cats for the 2.5/3.0 V6 are reputed to be much more robust that the 2.6/3.2 version. And better than the aftermarket cats they sell now. If you can find a good used original that might be the way to go. However the youngest is going to be 10 years old at least.
I'm sure you're right, though it's been rattling for at least 2 years. I did save one cat off a 2.5 I scrapped, but it's the right hand one, and the rattler is the left. I suppose a good man could weld the good spare cat into the left hand section, carefully keeping the shape right.

When I was running 4 cylinder Omegas with one cat each, they used to fail MOTs on emissions.  I bought an aftermarket cat and it would pass one MOT only to fail the following year. I then bought one aftermarket cat, and kept it just for MOTs, running all the year on the old cat.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2019, 19:07:07 »

If you are going to have to replace the cat ( or both) you don’t have to limit yourself to a good quality ORIGINAL omega cat ,a suitable dimension original factory cat from any other car would do the same job or better.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.