Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi to everyone and a couple of quick questions  (Read 3702 times)

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
Hi to everyone and a couple of quick questions
« on: 16 October 2006, 15:42:23 »

Hi All,

Just being given the link to this forum and it looks great.

Been a Vauxhall fan for many years, in the past had a few fords of which I did'nt think too much of.

My first Vauxhall was a Belmont SRI with a Cavalier 2 litre engine. I looked rough bodywork wise but it drove great. I then had a Cavalier 1.8 which was a great runner, just a little bit under powered. But I was driving aroun 500 miles a week so it was great for what I needed.

Now I have a job nearer to home I decided to treat myself to a W reg Vauxhall Omega 2.5 CD V6. It looks and drives gorgeous.

But, being honest I am having some problems with it right from the start, this has got me in two minds as to whether I have done the right thing.

The first problem, which I have read quite a bit about already is the temperature reading being very high! From what I have read V6 engines run hot as a rule. However can you confirm if the following is nornal: If I am driving the car it can go as high as the warning light coming on (over a hundred degress), then the fans kick in and the temperature comes down to aroung 75/80. Most of the time it does not go to the warning light level but on occassion it will. The trader who sold it me is quite insistent that this is OK and there is nothing to worry about.  I have read other articles of Omega's hitting 95/100 degrees but mine on the odd occassion is hitting the red light.

The other issue is I had to get the car towed back to the trader at weekend as it would not start, The starter was turning over OK but the engine would go start up. Apparently it is a common issue that the crank shaft sensor fails and causes this. Anyway, I have the trader's assurance that this is being fitted this week.

I know that buying a car such as this was never going to be ecomical. However I am getting worried that I may have bought a money pit.

Anybodies opinions or reassurances are always welcome.

Cheers, Red.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2006, 15:42:44 by red »
All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Hi to everyone and a couple of quick questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2006, 15:46:00 »

Welcome Red :)

The techie Qs are best posted over in the Omega Help section for better replies ;)

However, over 100 degrees is way to high. Some go up to high 90s, then fans bring back down to low/mid 90s

Crank sensor is feasible. You can try 'paperclip test' (check FAQ) to see what engine management is complaining about.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2006, 15:46:48 »

Flushing the coolant a few times may help with temp ;)
Grumpy old man

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2006, 15:49:47 »

Welcome to the forum Red.   :y

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2006, 16:33:42 »

Well there is some good news. The car does have full service history and it only has 29,000 miles on the clock. The cambelt was replaced at 24,000 miles. It was the low mileage and new cambelt that attracted me to this particlur car.

Just hope that I can sort out these problems and enjoy what is a terrific drive.

Regarding the temperature issue, I know a good Vauxhall mechanic who said he will give the car a quick check over when I get it back. He was saying that if there is high pressure that the hosing on the radiator will be tight and you won't be able to squeeze it etc. I'm just worried that the low mileage is because of some hidden issue and if I am not careful I could blow the head gasket. I'll admit I do tend to over react when things like this happen. Anyway I'll let him give it a look over when I get it back.

Thanks for the many replies I got to this post so soon, if I get any more questions I'll be sure to post them , maybe in the technical forum next time.

It is reasiring hearing your replies.

Thanks, Red.
All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2006, 16:48:05 »

Hi Red and welcome to the club  I can understand your concerns as I was in a similar situation when I bought mine just over a year ago, and I didn't know about the forum then. Having got most things done like cambelt/tensioners etc. they are generally pretty reliable but they can be quite costly to maintain unless you do a lot of jobs yourself. Unfortunately I'm one of those that have to use a garage to sort out most things but there is a wealth of useful advice and information on here.
Hope the Omega gives you as much enjoyment as they do for most of us on here ;) :)  

**edited**
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2006, 16:59:08 »

Hello & welcome  :)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2006, 18:45:52 »

Hi Red and welcome to the forum :y
Retired

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2006, 19:31:34 »

Hi m8 and welcome to the forum :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2006, 20:46:48 »

Welcome to the site red :y

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2006, 11:25:23 »

Welcome to OOF Red  :y

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2006, 12:54:14 »

Hi Red, welcome to the forum.  Good luck with those faults mate.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2006, 23:09:43 »

Hello red, and welcome  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2006, 21:14:41 »

Hello Red welcome to the forum :y you said the cambelt has been changed make sure that the tensioners were also replaced as its these that fail resulting in the pistons joining the valve in the combustion chamber club for a party!!! result one fooked lump.
As for the cost of maintenance if your handy with a spanner the wise ones on  this forum can save you a packet :)
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2006, 08:14:52 »

Welcome Rod.

Temperature problem. Check the gauge first. Remove the whole speedo pod and substitute it for another known working one. We had this exact same fault on one recently and spent days changing radiators etc only to find out it was the gauge all the time. Exact same symptoms you have.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2006, 08:15:26 by RonaldMcBurger »

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2006, 09:16:33 »

Hi and welcome :y...hope u get your probs sorted

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 October 2006, 16:19:44 »

Hi,

Thanks for the many replies to this post!

There seems to be an electrical fault but I just can't pin point it, there a few problems and maybe they relate to each other. Now that I have had the car a little longer I will give you what investigative knowledge I have, it aint much!

Firstly the Traction Control light seems to come on quite often when I am driving, which is worry in itself as this means traction control is not working. When this happens the temperature gauge goes right up to the top. Also the idle tick over seems erratic when this happens. This can be a litlle dangerous a junctions as the car tries to send you forward as the revs jump up. But if you stop the car and start it up again chances are everything is back to normal. It is strange indeed!

I noticed the other night that the temperature gauge went right up the top I experimented parked in my drive. I turned off various electrical gadgets such as lights & air conditioning, when these were turned off the gauge came down and when I turned them on the gauge went straight back up.

The temperature gauge does get high without the traction control light coming on but I can't help but think there is some connection between these symptoms.

Can anyone help?

Cheers, Red.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.