Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Senator A2.  (Read 29785 times)

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
Re: Senator A2.
« Reply #120 on: 04 May 2017, 19:25:28 »

Passed MOT today!!! :)

Advisories on track rod end and slightly corroded rear brake pipe.

Friend who took it had a problem on the way-a petrol pipe split-luckily though the car didn't go up. ;D

Got a lazy starter motor or battery when hot-will investigate earthings on the weekend.

Drives lovely!!

Steve
Previous
Omega 2.5 GLS Auto Estate         S115 JVV
Omega 3.0 Elite  Auto Estate        T639 TFA

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 04 May 2017, 19:55:17 »

Passed MOT today!!! :)

Advisories on track rod end and slightly corroded rear brake pipe.

Friend who took it had a problem on the way-a petrol pipe split-luckily though the car didn't go up. ;D

Got a lazy starter motor or battery when hot-will investigate earthings on the weekend.

Drives lovely!!

Steve

How did he get it through with burst fuel pipe? I'm assuming a quick repair was done on it?

I had that hot starting on my old Senator A 3.0. Usually it's just a starter needing rebuilt as when it gets hot it gets "sticky" also check the engine is not actually over heating a bit. Mine was running hot, due to kapoot viscous fan so I locked the fan up with a bracket, and I reckoned rad was prob needing a flush too.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 04 May 2017, 20:02:54 »

Friends the garage boss-so phoned a colleague who brought out a new pipe and clips.

Will look to get the starter rebuilt.

Regards

Steve
Previous

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 05 May 2017, 07:45:26 »

Good result on the mot :y and yes I'd agree the Senators are a lovely car to drive I'd really love another one,but prices taking them out of my budget :'(

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 05 May 2017, 08:56:38 »

hi steve.worth checking the battery and starter motor and for any connections that may be getting hot but also ..........if the engine spins normally when you disconnect the coil but struggles with it connected then it sounds as thou the ign timing is a little too advanced.the crankshaft v and pointer are to set up the basic timing when using leaded fuel.so you will more than likely need to retard it slightly anyway fot unleaded.to be honest there isnt an actual setting as cars and fuel vary so either check it with a timing light and make sure its either up to the timing mark or back by approx 5mm on pulley or if you dont have a light just undo distributor clamp and turn it clockwise sligtly

aaronjb

« Reply #125 on: 05 May 2017, 09:00:15 »

I must get my good one done; it was acquired at an advantageous rate so is worth spending a few quid on.

You have to be careful they don't go out of calibration when they fall off the back of the truck  :y ;D

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 05 May 2017, 11:58:14 »

Thanks all,
Didn't think about timing Chris! I do remember now that you mentioned it that I changed the oil pump drive shaft on my Granada years ago and had the same problem. I'll give it a try tonight with the king lead off. It does seem to be holding the revs a little when backing off the throttle (around 1500rpm) before dying down-may also be due to the timing being too advanced.

Thanks again for all the help!

Will report back!

Regards

Steve
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 05 May 2017, 12:48:03 »

hi steve yes its all a bit trial and error. vauxhall reccomend up to 5 deg retard when using unleaded but different cars and fuel need setting up by ear.there is no actual definate setting.same realy applies to lots of settings on cars.(timing,toe,tyre pressures etc)the manufacturers setting is a guide and fairly true when the car is brand new but as they age things often need tweaking for the best.

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 05 May 2017, 18:08:42 »

Thanks Chris,
Retarded it a bit clockwise and it seems better (may be due to my bigger Royale battery I put on). Will have a bit more of a fiddle with the timing tomorrow. Goes well-not as quick as the Royale-but much more refined. Exhaust is blowing from the manifold join so will drop them again and put a bit of paste on.

Thanks

STEVE
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 13 May 2017, 08:45:27 »

Have been using the Senator back and forth to work for most of the week. Its about 12 miles each way-half of it on dual carriageways. The car is excellent-very quiet and supremely smooth. It is higher revving as has been said about the 3 speed -but again not intrusive at 70mph. It is a more sluggish box than the 4 speed on my Royale and the Senator is nowhere near as quick as the Royale (maybe because it is much more refined).

Only problem is the exhaust blowing (cannot hear it from inside!) I think from the manifold / front pipe join. I've got a new set of front pipes and will get a garage to fit them-it's a bit tight under my ramps!

Steve
Previous

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 21 May 2017, 19:44:46 »

Hello all,
Been using the Senator everyday back and forth to work. Started having a problem the other day with the alternator overcharging-voltmeter went right up. Lasted a few seconds and then went back down. Okay for a few days until coming home on Thursday. Started to do it more frequently. Got it home and when it did it whilst idling-checked the voltage - about 16 volts. So suspect regulator. Wanted to use the car Friday so used man logic and pinched the alternator off the Royale (not mot'd at the mo). Bit of a faff as had to change an earth wire as Royale alternator slightly different-but all well!

Will try and get a regulator and swap back again (or knowing me-leave as is and put refurbed one onto the Royale).

Steve
Previous

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 21 May 2017, 20:06:18 »

I managed to refurbish one off one of my Omega's for around £50 - that was both bearings and the regulator as per Kevin's information in the Alternator repair guide.

I'm sure most alternators are similar.  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 22 May 2017, 09:35:13 »

Yep, I find "Mid Ulster Rotating Electrics" good for regulators. Google them and you'll find their web site. The also sell lots on Ebay.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Steve Brookman

• Blackwood, Gwent
    • Royale/Senator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 22 May 2017, 11:09:50 »

Thanks all,
I've actually ordered a regulator from Germany-about £15 delivered. Will post on outcome of fitting!

Steve
Previous

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 22 May 2017, 19:57:39 »

hi steve.glad its running well. great cars.. is yours a bosch alternator with the external regulator on the back? .if so easy peasy no dismantling req.or is it a delco ? .still easy enough but req dismantle. watch out for flying brush springs !.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.