Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrickery musings...  (Read 3836 times)

aaronjb

Re: Electrickery musings...
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2019, 14:58:16 »

I think you really also need to slow the drive down a little - either a VFD or gear the bands down..

I love that description, though:

"Suitable for cutting carbon steel, Metalon, non-ferrous metals, Celeron, plastics, plywood, MDF and cardboard."

Cardboard?!  ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 October 2019, 15:54:39 »

;D ;D I am the same ..

I saw Aldi/Lidl (I can't remember which one..) had a band saw for sale and I thought "I wonder if that could be converted into a metal saw".. must stay away :-X

I've considered that, but the mods required for extra rigidity and gearing the speed down aren't worth it. The motor is a bit underpowered too.

The little bench grinder is good for sharpening lathe tools and TIG tungstens.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 October 2019, 18:55:43 »

Having wasted no end of time and money on the shite like Ctek and Halfords Smart chargers (made by Ring, ironically), I now use a Ring charger that has been brilliant.  My only gripe is its not waterproof (but I suspect lack of airflow was what was killing all the previous chargers).

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/ring-12a-smart-charger-charge-and-diagnose

Significantly cheaper elsewhere, mind. Even with trade and topcashback.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2019, 01:02:54 »

:y

I've been looking at the 'good old fashioned' dumb chargers, but the new smart chargers are a tempting proposition as above. I'm actually looking at something I can take apart and re-shell in another housing, for no other reason than as a project/bit of fun. On the lookout for a known good used one I can hack about, however decent enough ones seem to be had for the £30-40 mark, so might be as well to just buy a new one.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2019, 04:29:54 »

Said it before and I'll say it again: Last time I got charged for battery was in the 1980's.

FTFY ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2019, 04:50:08 »

I checked - Aldi..

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ferrex-10-inch-bandsaw/p/019596291909000

https://www.aldi.co.uk/portable-bandsaw-240v/p/019344288136100

Online only I think .. and I am so tempted  ;D

Getting a band saw is one I've been resisting for several years now even though I know I would find it useful.

When I got my air compressor at £20 off £££s later for all the air tools & impact sockets I've bought, where I just can't resist a 'tool bargain'. I've been collecting & building my tool set since I was 10 so it is a lifetime excellent bad habit & there are still lots of tempting tools I'm sure I really must have & I will find indispensable, even if I never use them! ::) :o :-[ :-X
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 October 2019, 10:09:13 »

Thankfully I came up with the perfect justification on the way home last night.

SWMBO wants fancy skirting boards in the house (something like this). I reckon that if I use the table saw to make these out of 18mm MDF sheet, I can declare it to be 'a saving'. And, by applying some careful man maths to the situation, it means I've freed up that same amount of money to spend on the 18v circular saw I've been wanting.   8)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 October 2019, 10:29:10 »

Tell her it's on offer in a sale - no woman can resist a sale item, whether she needs it or not!  ;)

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 15 October 2019, 10:49:15 »

Thankfully I came up with the perfect justification on the way home last night.

SWMBO wants fancy skirting boards in the house (something like this). I reckon that if I use the table saw to make these out of 18mm MDF sheet, I can declare it to be 'a saving'. And, by applying some careful man maths to the situation, it means I've freed up that same amount of money to spend on the 18v circular saw I've been wanting.   8)
Hmmmm........good job she didn't pick the Albany or something like. Let's see you knock that up.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 October 2019, 13:28:28 »

Hmmmm........good job she didn't pick the Albany or something like. Let's see you knock that up.  ;D

Yeah, but just think of the tools I could buy with that as an excuse!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 October 2019, 17:28:50 »

Trouble I've personally found with Aldi/Lidl shite tools is that when they go wrong, you have little comeback.  They normally give you a full refund on the faulty item, but not the accessories you've bought.

The Clarke/Machinemart shite is clearly out of the same factory, but you do get good support.

For a pack of screwdrivers, this is a non issue - not that any sane person would buy such shite from there - but for electrical/air tools this is more of an issue.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 October 2019, 18:41:46 »

Agreed, I have found the same with Toolstation/Screwfix own brand stuff. It's why I was careful to check that the saw has standard sized blades etc. And I will keep the receipt as well as my best shouty voice for if(when) it doesn't last the 3yrs it's supposed to.

In this case, it's 2/3 the price of a no namer from Clarke or Toolstation and 1/5 of the price of a brand. If I was relying on it to make a living - I wouldn't touch it. As it is, I'm going in eyes open and we'll see what's what.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.