Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOWERED WITH 18" WHEELS  (Read 906 times)

2tone

• Ashford Kent
    • View Profile
LOWERED WITH 18" WHEELS
« on: 25 July 2009, 12:44:34 »

Just spent a small fortune on Irmscher 40mm lowering Springs and 18" RS wheels with 225 40 18 Khumos, now I have a grinding noise coming from the offsidefront wheel when I go over a bump or small pothole, the car is a 2.0 estate with only 48000 miles,any ideas out there ?, cheers... :'( 2tone :'(

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: LOWERED WITH 18" WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2009, 12:59:32 »

mudflaps fitting the road perhaps?

check the bottom of them to see if there rubbing

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2009, 21:00:23 »

I assume you've had a full geometric set-up. Not that it would cause the grinding sound, but it's vital this is done as your camber will be well out after lowering.
As doog says, worth looking if mudflaps are touching down. May well be them if the sound is just a short scraping sound.
If you've no mudflaps...er...hmm :-/ 
Shouldn't be a problem with 18's rubbing, I've seen one with 19's on a Mig and  no arch mods were needed.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2009, 13:02:52 »

bottom shock bolts also set camber, will need set up unless you measured camber before and after. Check gap between shock body and wheel/tyre...

2tone

• Ashford Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2009, 20:16:10 »

Cheers Chaps,All the work was done at the service centre at my work,they have the very latest 4 wheel laser equipment,and it still cost me a small fortune,even though I work for the same company :-? so it should be set up right,it seems to make more noise when the wheels are turned to the left,we've had a look at bottom wishbones, stuck a jemmy bar in and tried to move 'em all looks ok,bearings have no sign of play, and nothing's rubbing.so I'm stumped , Might put the 15"wheels back on to see if it helps :'( cant make any sense of this ! :(

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2009, 21:55:56 »

Cheers Chaps,All the work was done at the service centre at my work,they have the very latest 4 wheel laser equipment,and it still cost me a small fortune,even though I work for the same company :-? so it should be set up right,it seems to make more noise when the wheels are turned to the left,we've had a look at bottom wishbones, stuck a jemmy bar in and tried to move 'em all looks ok,bearings have no sign of play, and nothing's rubbing.so I'm stumped , Might put the 15"wheels back on to see if it helps :'( cant make any sense of this ! :(

Have they re-set the camber or is it just tracking ? Most service centres would not have Full Geometric capability. The laser equipment most garages have is something like "Laserline" and is just for tracking. 
If you've lowered it then a Full Geometric is vital or you can say goodbye to all four of your nice new tyres in less than 1k miles. 
If you had a Full Geo it would cost somewhere around £70 - £100.
Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2009, 00:19:54 »

if grinding on turning it could be tyres fouling the mudflaps or the mudflap clips/bolts. this happened on my cavalier following lowering 40mm so they have to come off.

if over bumps it could be the tyres fouling the arches. any sign of arch liner wear on edge? if you've gone too low you might need to roll the arches. eek.

of course, without stating the obvious, the wheels need to be more or less the right ET offset?
« Last Edit: 26 August 2009, 00:20:41 by ilovemyelite »
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

i260

• Newport, South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2009, 22:50:28 »

any pics? :y
Saab 9-5 Aero 260ps

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2009, 23:09:14 »

if grinding on turning it could be tyres fouling the mudflaps or the mudflap clips/bolts. this happened on my cavalier following lowering 40mm so they have to come off.

if over bumps it could be the tyres fouling the arches. any sign of arch liner wear on edge? if you've gone too low you might need to roll the arches. eek.

of course, without stating the obvious, the wheels need to be more or less the right ET offset?
there is your problem :y
« Last Edit: 26 August 2009, 23:09:44 by serek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.