Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted steering idler & mounting bracket that holds it.... asap  (Read 3996 times)

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • 99,3.0 MV6 Est Ex Police
    • View Profile

Hi all, ive replaced my steering idler twice now & its knackered again!! killing a tire in the process in under 4000miles!
i was wondering why its been wandering all over the road i thought it was my rear subframe bushes i know are breaked!!

The o/s wheel nice & tight, n/s wheel has a mind of its own!!
approx 1" of left/right movement & i can clearly see the idler lifting up & down, so i recon its the bracket/mounting that is worn out..??
ok car has done 190000miles!! 144000 of hard police use! im guessing also the roads (potholes) dont help & running 8.5j 19s arnt going to help either...

So can anybody help?? pref by sending me the mounting with idler still attached & un disturbed... how much???

Oh also rumbling from my N/S Rear wheel but no play/noise when in air but rumbles when driving/cornering is it easier to replace bearing or complete hub..?? unknown if its a sealed unit like the fronts... cheers all  :y 

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted steering idler & mounting bracket that holds it.... asap
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2013, 20:28:04 »

Rear wheel bearing is a press in/out unit. Can be done for about 3100 plus bearing by a reasonable garage.
Keith B

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2013, 00:49:31 »

Have you been using quality idlers? Lemforder is normally recommended :y

Cheaper (and more expensive!) pattern ones have been known to have too much play out of the box :o
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2013, 01:07:27 »

Have you been using quality idlers? Lemforder is normally recommended :y

Cheaper (and more expensive!) pattern ones have been known to have too much play out of the box :o

They both were O.E quality parts from LMF Vauxhall in leicester the 1st one really was crap even with the bolt maxed up still felt loose so they sent me another one because car was awful to drive for a week!! the second one was ok but now its worse than the original one that was on it since new.. Have you seen the price of the genuine ones!!! i know the mounting bracket is knackered because its got a heavy worn mark scored in it now!!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2013, 03:50:52 »

one of these?
http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Steering-Idler-Arm-110mm-Omega-Carlton.html

Ohh dear.

Cut your losses and get one of these.

http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1220825-Steering-idler-arm-Original-equipment-Lemforder-14927-01-9195731.html
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-CARLTON-OMEGA-110mm-STEERING-IDLER-ARM-GENUINE-LEMFORDER-NEW-/170738496863?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c0ceb55f

Yep!! they are CRAP!!!! i still req the bracket mounting shaft because mine is knackered & have been quoted £90 +vat!!

I hope it was a one off otherwise that's another decent part that's no longer worth it :-\

It has been seen that the shaft wears (like yours is now) but not common.

To return to your question... I'd be looking at new if possible or you night end up in the same position in a few months! Failing that, try a pm to Rob/Albs/Twiggy... But I'll be surprised if any of the breakers have kept this part

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2013, 03:54:43 »

one of these?

Ohh dear.

http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/ourshop/prod_1220825-Steering-idler-arm-Original-equipment-Lemforder-14927-01-9195731.html
or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-CARLTON-OMEGA-110mm-STEERING-IDLER-ARM-GENUINE-LEMFORDER-NEW-/170738496863?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27c0ceb55f

Yep!! they are CRAP!!!! i still req the bracket mounting shaft because mine is knackered & have been quoted £90 +vat!!

I hope it was a one off otherwise that's another decent part that's no longer worth it :-\

It has been seen that the shaft wears (like yours is now) but not common.

To return to your question... I'd be looking at new if possible or you night end up in the same position in a few months! Failing that, try a pm to Rob/Albs/Twiggy... But I'll be surprised if any of the breakers have kept this part

Just realised, the first link was to the known crap idlers... Well documented on here to be as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Get the Lemforder one as suggested by JB :y As for the pivot... I'm sure someone got one cheaper than that :-\ but for used, Steve at Omega Spares should be able to help you :y

adey2

• nuneaton, warwickshire
  • if all else fails hit it with a hammer
    • 2000 3.0 elite estate lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2013, 03:58:08 »

glynn have you tried nigel in nottingham,his ebay id is omegas52 i was there at weekend and he got a few on garage floor he has taken off, if need his number give me a shout
v6 locking kit , code reader available, engine hoist and engine stand

also has 2.6 mv6 estate 2001, hilux surf 3.0, vectra 2.0 lpg 2000

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2013, 20:08:52 »

PM Albs as he may still have his breaker on his drive.
keith B

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2013, 15:19:30 »

glynn have you tried nigel in nottingham,his ebay id is omegas52 i was there at weekend and he got a few on garage floor he has taken off, if need his number give me a shout

unless he changed his number again!!! he is rather useless at replying to messages or he just doesnt speak to me!!! ade i call you later mate!!

Zippy2012

• Intermediate Member
  • Worcester uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2013, 22:30:05 »

one of these?

Ohh dear.

or

I fitted the part from eBay and it lasted 4 months!!!!
I have now ordered the Lem' part... Would be here tomorrow???

about the same amount of time as mine!!
i now need to replace both parts because the original had the idler a rubber bush & steel collar inside, was a idiot to remove! failed mot due to play... the 2xlmf idlers are an idler with a hard rubber bush only.. im unsure if the police upgraded mine for a heavy duty one from standard?? anyway the rubber bush is now like an hour glass internally & the metal of the idler has started to dig into the shaft!! 

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2013, 18:48:45 »

Ive had the same problems with these damn idlers, Ive fitted 4 in the 6 years ive had the car, the latest one I fitted 4 days ago just before my MOT yesterday & still managed to get an advisory on it, VX quoted £88 just for the pin :o so i gave that a miss, Had to go to a scrap yard today to get a quarterlight window for a neighbours car & by sheer luck stumbled over a 2.2DTI F/L saloon (very tidy all round) & just happened to have a rather new pin & idler fitted, So after a struggle getting them off discovered they were genuine VX :y, The best £15 ive spent considering to buy the two from VX would have been close on £200 :o, If anyone wants to know where this car is as it has good door cards,climate panel in fact good everything then give me a shout & i'll give you the info where to find it, oh & its silver if that helps.

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2013, 13:46:02 »

Steering idlers are well known for pattern parts failing. Must be genuine, or lemforder. (Lemforder supply vx for this part)

Allgerman parts supply them

http://www.allgermanparts.co.uk/ourshop/cat_277900-Steering-and-suspension-components.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.