Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam sprockets, front oil seal, and the rest....  (Read 1766 times)

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
Cam sprockets, front oil seal, and the rest....
« on: 07 June 2020, 19:58:27 »

So well into my strip down to get to the stricken O/S head gasket.

Couple of things / observations / problems that I’m sure someone has been there before me....

1. Bit worried No2 sprocket has turned one “flip” as I used my torx socket to see how loose the sprocket bolts might be (no cam belt on) without holding the 24mm spanner to the cam shaft  :-[😬. I “think” I’ve sorted it by turning it one flip the other way and the Red cam lock fits in between 1 & 2 now. Do these cam locks only fit in one position relative to sprockets 1 & 2 ?

2. Seemingly reasonable oil leak at front - perhaps front oil seal I’m thinking - easy to fix I assume whilst engine stripped down to get to head gasket  🤔

3. Taken water pump off - lots of crap in the block as it drained what was left  - can you flush it with a hose pipe up the water pump orifice?

4. Took me all my strength to turn the crank clockwise - had to use a length of scaffold pole for leverage. I took out the o/s head spark plugs to lower the compression which worked then. Seems fairly free now. Car has been sat neatly 2 years without turning over, waiting attention,  so worried it was seized - I think it must be freed off.

Hey ho - Onwards and upwards - many thanks in advance if anyone has comments on above
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Cam sprockets, front oil seal, and the rest....
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2020, 22:13:03 »

couple of answers for you. front oil seal easy enough to change whilst front crank pulley is off.the sleeve usually has a groove worn in it so the sleeve can be turned around ( unless its already been done before ? )
i would be a bit concerned about the stiff turning ,especially if the engine has been left unused for a long period with water in the bore ? but all will be revealed once the head is off .

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2020, 13:21:54 »

1. Bit worried No2 sprocket has turned one “flip” as I used my torx socket to see how loose the sprocket bolts might be (no cam belt on) without holding the 24mm spanner to the cam shaft  :-[😬. I “think” I’ve sorted it by turning it one flip the other way and the Red cam lock fits in between 1 & 2 now. Do these cam locks only fit in one position relative to sprockets 1 & 2 ?
The locking keys can fit in in multiple positions. Put another way just because the keys fit doesn't mean that the cams are correctly aligned. You need to have the timing marks on the sprockets correctly aligned with the timing marks on the rear cover.

Another issue to be aware of is the one size fits all design of the sprocket markings used on later engines. So the sprockets have marks for both exhaust and intake and two positioning slots. It's very easy to get confused when reassembling the cams and have the cam lobes incorrect, as the sprockets can be fitted in two differing positions. Make very good notes if you are removing the sprockets from the cams.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2020, 16:26:28 »

Worth the £3 for the dvd just for that ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2020, 11:20:36 »

The locking keys can fit in in multiple positions. Put another way just because the keys fit doesn't mean that the cams are correctly aligned. You need to have the timing marks on the sprockets correctly aligned with the timing marks on the rear cover.

it's better to imagine the marks on the timing cover don't exist, and only ever use the timing gauge that is the most important part of the toolkit. The pulley locks only lock the cams together in any number of positions; YOU decide which set of pulley teeth they engage.

Once you've got the new belt on and tensioned properly(with the eccentrics in a useful position), it's time to keep adjusting the cam timing until it is correct every time you turn the engine through all four strokes.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2020, 15:00:35 »

it's better to imagine the marks on the timing cover don't exist, and only ever use the timing gauge that is the most important part of the toolkit. The pulley locks only lock the cams together in any number of positions; YOU decide which set of pulley teeth they engage.

Once you've got the new belt on and tensioned properly(with the eccentrics in a useful position), it's time to keep adjusting the cam timing until it is correct every time you turn the engine through all four strokes.
That's fine assuming the sprockets are correctly mounted on the cams. If the sprockets are disassembled from the cams then it's easy to get the sprocket locating keys incorrectly positioned. The OP is trying to remove the heads and presumably overhaul to deal with the head gaskets.
« Last Edit: 09 June 2020, 15:15:54 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2020, 15:18:15 »

Only possible if you are a) removing/refitting the cam pullies with the cam cover in place, and b) are blind.

Establish TDC before dismantling and also note the cam pulley alignment with regard to the identity marks on the pullies/cam shaft/lobe positions.

If you still manage to screw it up, then you probably need to lease a Toyota with a maintenance plan :-X

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2020, 15:28:32 »

There's been plenty of queries on this forum concerning getting the sprockets wrong on the cams when they've been removed and disassembled. It's come about because the sprockets for later engines are a one design fits all. The original sprockets were a lot better in that respect.

The OP mentioned that one of the cams moved out of position.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2020, 15:30:23 »

It's still not rocket science and both Haynes and the cambelt dvd have it pretty clearly covered ;)

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2020, 07:21:48 »

Watched the DVD a couple of times and feel happier now. Seems it’s certainly not doom & gloom and well done to the chap in DVD as he explains it “simples”

Regarding lease on a Toyota - godda be joking right ? 😄

Hopefully can get some time on it again this week end

Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 June 2020, 10:57:45 »

Only possible if you are a) removing/refitting the cam pullies with the cam cover in place, and b) are blind.

Establish TDC before dismantling and also note the cam pulley alignment with regard to the identity marks on the pullies/cam shaft/lobe positions.

If you still manage to screw it up, then you probably need to lease a Toyota with a maintenance plan :-X

that.

If the pulley moved on the cam, then at least one of them is oppsed. Fitting them incorrectly is possible, but obvious
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.