Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre question  (Read 6892 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre question
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2017, 09:28:18 »

So it looks like its between the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.

DrAndyB, nice Omega.  ;)  I always did like the smoothness from the 2.5 V6 over the 2.6. Wish I would have kept mine. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2017, 11:28:00 »

So it looks like its between the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.

DrAndyB, nice Omega.  ;)  I always did like the smoothness from the 2.5 V6 over the 2.6. Wish I would have kept mine. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Personally I'd avoid these  :y

I found them quite poor.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2017, 12:07:50 »

You will probably struggle to find these now, I certainly did and ended up with Michelin PS3, so far no problems with them at all.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2017, 13:09:21 »

I had a set of these Goodyears Eagle F1's and I found they cracked around the tread grooves after they were about half worn like Dunlops were renown for. But as the are part of the same family, then I guess they probably have similar compounds.
I too have a set of Michelin PS3's on one Omega and now a set of PS4's (which were cheaper to buy at approx £88 each fitted) on another. Can't fault either set; probably the best tyres I have had, but then I am a Michelin fan.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2017, 13:16:30 »

I had a set of these Goodyears Eagle F1's and I found they cracked around the tread grooves after they were about half worn like Dunlops were renown for. But as the are part of the same family, then I guess they probably have similar compounds.
I too have a set of Michelin PS3's on one Omega and now a set of PS4's (which were cheaper to buy at approx £88 each fitted) on another. Can't fault either set; probably the best tyres I have had, but then I am a Michelin fan.

EACH!!!!!, I would want at least two tyres at that price, with change.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2017, 13:25:33 »

I found them quite poor.
You had only worn ones, so thats probably unfair on them ;).  You wait til your RT's get to about 4mm ;)

Though I can't recommend GY F1's either on an Omega. Mediocre tyre (with reliability concerns) at premium prices
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2017, 13:25:53 »

Some people prefer some grip ;)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 March 2017, 13:27:10 »

I found them quite poor.
You had only worn ones, so thats probably unfair on them ;).  You wait til your RT's get to about 4mm ;)

Though I can't recommend GY F1's either on an Omega. Mediocre tyre (with reliability concerns) at premium prices

True. But my opinion on Kuhmo's remains unchanged, from new down to barely legal. (Good tyre with low noise and good grip for my style)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 March 2017, 13:31:51 »

I found them quite poor.

True. But my opinion on Kuhmo's remains unchanged, from new down to barely legal. (Good tyre with low noise and good grip for my style)
Some tyres do maintain grip. The SportMaxx TT (probably the best tyre ever for the Omega) for example, from 9mm to about 0.5mm, they hung on...  ...hence not noticing the state they were in  :-[.

GY F1 do NOT fit into that camp. Nor do RTs. Not used RT2s yet, as something happened partway through RT production to make them worse - my first set were good, next set were not as good :(. Plus wear rate is high - too high for the performance levels out of the later RTs.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 March 2017, 13:42:45 »

I've had a few pairs of these over the years on the 9-5 aeros I've owned and always found them to be excellent VFM for the performance they give in wet and dry conditions. Would definitely recommend.

peter the butcher

• knaresborough, north yorkshire
  • omega driver as a hobby and now retired :-(
    • 2.6CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 March 2017, 13:46:20 »

As  a fellow member has often said on a non motoring website,,,,,, buy the most expensive item, a set of tyres in this case, and you have bragging rites lol, regardless of what us poor "lesser mortals" can afford. Just drive sensibly, allowing for the road conditions, and a "budget tyre, will be just as good nearly, as a "super duper, VERY expensive" brand  ;D

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2017, 17:24:47 »

As  a fellow member has often said on a non motoring website,,,,,, buy the most expensive item, a set of tyres in this case, and you have bragging rites lol, regardless of what us poor "lesser mortals" can afford. Just drive sensibly, allowing for the road conditions, and a "budget tyre, will be just as good nearly, as a "super duper, VERY expensive" brand  ;D

yep iirc wet grip rated C is only about 7% more total stopping distance in the wet than top rated A.

in the dry an old bald tyre will stop you quickest.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2017, 18:16:23 »

Woosungs or Nankangs are good value if you like skitting all over the road, turning up the radio above the tyre noise, and reading who made the number plate on the car in front if you do manage to come to a stop. The change you get when you bought two would go a little way to repairing the damage, I guess....!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2017, 19:37:21 »

yep iirc wet grip rated C is only about 7% more total stopping distance in the wet than top rated A.

in the dry an old bald tyre will stop you quickest.
I can tell you that 2 different wet grip A rated tyres have a huge variance in stopping distance from speed. Take the GY Eagle F1 Assym 2 for example, an A rated wet tyre, takes about 75m more than what the previous Dunlop SportMaxx RT, another A rated wet, does in the wet, from high speed.

The euro type labelling is a joke I'm afraid.  As is CLEARLY demonstrated by the Autogrip F105 - a C rated wet grip tyre.  As *anyone* who has driven an Autogrip F105 in mildly damp conditions will confirm, they are completely lethal.

Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2017, 19:57:26 »

Well they would if they weren't dead... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.