Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vauxhall Service History. . . or not!  (Read 3978 times)

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
Vauxhall Service History. . . or not!
« on: 20 November 2006, 13:32:26 »

Thought I'd get some opinions.

X-Reg Omega 2.2 CD Auto 53000 miles. So far it's got a full Vauxhall service history (40,000 mile service done). Next service soon.

Question is: Is it really worth having a full Vx service history on this age of car?

I don't personally think that a Vx service is worth the money, but people I know reckon that it'll keep the value up. Anyone had any experience of the science of OEM service history vs complete non-OEM history?
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Vauxhall Service History. . . or not!
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2006, 13:36:54 »

Cars are always going to be worth more and sell better with full stealer history whether it is a good dealer or not. Peace of mind for many folks ;) fools :-?

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2006, 13:42:14 »

There must be a point in the age of a car though, where any extra you can get for having a full dealer service history is far less than the extra you'd be paying for the Vx service.

As Omegas are very cheap anyway, wasn't sure if mine had reached that point yet.

And you're right, anyone who thinks that a Dealer Service History means the car has been maintained correctly is a fool.

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2006, 14:05:18 »

Totally agree, for the first few years of a cars life dealer history is important because of warranty issues, after that it just isn't worth it as far as i'm concerned. As long as a car has a full history and it can be proved then thats good enough. Who would you rather serviced your car, Stealer or one of the proper experts on here ??? but for many it comes back to the peace of mind issue and it will always sell better

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2006, 14:09:33 »

Both my previous meega (owned until 4y / 60k) and my current one (5y / 45k so far) have Vx main dealer FSH.

As the car depreciates, there comes a point where the annual service cost is MORE than the extra that you would get for FSH when selling the car... however there is an oversupply of second-hand Omegas, so having a FSH will make your car easier to sell.

My recommendation:

either
Do only a 'small' service every year at Vx to keep th book stamped, and do the rest DIY
   or
Do the minimal service at MasteFit, it is a little chaper (and some outlets do fixed-cost servicing for older cars), and get the book stamped by MasterFit - it is pratcially as good as having a Vx stamp
   or
Do the minimal service at an independent but make sure you get a stamp in the book - a stamped book will always look better then a blank one.

« Last Edit: 20 November 2006, 14:10:01 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2006, 14:11:20 »

...53000 miles. So far it's got a full Vauxhall service history (40,000 mile service done). Next service soon....

[size=14]What about the cambelt and tensioner.... did Vx do them at 40k service?[/size]

Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 November 2006, 14:33:26 »

...53000 miles. So far it's got a full Vauxhall service history (40,000 mile service done). Next service soon....

[size=14]What about the cambelt and tensioner.... did Vx do them at 40k service?[/size]

Regardless if its on the service sheet or not, i would change it personally.

Mines getting done after i finish uni when it reaches 100k miles, it was done at 84 but i don't trust the garage i bought it from, i rekon they just changed the belt and not the tensioners and water pump.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November 2006, 14:38:42 »

Mines getting done after i finish uni when it reaches 100k miles, it was done at 84 but i don't trust the garage i bought it from, i rekon they just changed the belt and not the tensioners and water pump.

Tunnie if thats the case then can you be sure it wont fail you at any time soon. If it was me I'd be thinking of getting it done asap.

Just my tuppence worth :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2006, 14:49:54 »

Tunnie if thats the case then can you be sure it wont fail you at any time soon. If it was me I'd be thinking of getting it done asap.

Totally agree, since September i have barely done 300 miles... i'll do another 70 before xmas (getting home) then next year much the same....

I know it should be done... but i am saving hard for my travelling after uni so the car will have to wait...

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2006, 14:53:48 »

Totally agree, since September i have barely done 300 miles... i'll do another 70 before xmas (getting home) then next year much the same....

I know it should be done... but i am saving hard for my travelling after uni so the car will have to wait...

They can fail as soon as you start the car.........
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2006, 14:57:16 »

Coming back to service histories....

Mine has a full Vx service history, and is due for another + MOT in Jan/07.

I shall just have the basic service + MOT to keep the book stamped.

I keep a record in the back of the service book of all the work I have carried out myself.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2006, 14:57:49 by Auto_Addict »
I like red cars

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2006, 15:13:23 »

Cambelt etc. was done on advice from some of you chaps on the 40,000 mile service. Didn't let Vx do the Pollen filter and fix the door "crack of doom" as it seems to have become known (although I haven't got round to it yet!).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2006, 15:23:14 »

I obviously do all my own servicing. However, annually, I get Masterfit to do their cheapest 'service' (just oil change, filter if you're lucky) for £59. This keeps my book fully stamped with Vauxhall stamps, and made the paperwork I had to fill out after having the car towed home from France really easy - always serviced by Vauxhall ;)
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2006, 15:29:54 »

tuppence worth.....stamped service history ( obviously essential) from a vx dealer - whilst car is in warranty, under 5 years old.
Afterwards stamped service history from a reputable garage if your considoring re selling it.

Otherwise if your competent and committed and not possibly going to resell - do it yourself, every 6000miles for oil being the most important.

Does really depent on year, mileage and your future plans for car  :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2006, 15:42:37 »

every 6000miles for oil being the most important.
or even more regular, max mileage for diesel is 5k, so do every 2.5k.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.