Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Retro-fitting a carb and distributor to an Omega!  (Read 3197 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Retro-fitting a carb and distributor to an Ome
« Reply #15 on: 25 November 2006, 19:05:52 »

Your faults are?
Runniung badly could be cam crank AFM or quite a few other things

Not starting, crank is favourite,

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 November 2006, 19:34:19 »

basically martin, since the engine was put in this car, I've only had it running once,

the engine just occasionally "spits" when trying to start, there is a strong smell of petrol, but it won't run, although it's almost at the stage where it will burst into life.

I know it's not plug lead order, etc, because it DID run on all 4, for a few minutes, AFTER the transplant!!

I think I've ruled out the crank sensor, but I don't know what else to try! I've also tried another cam sensor off the old omega.. no luck...

Martin_1962

« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2006, 22:31:51 »

Petrol - injectors are squirting then, petrol smell usually means not sparking.

Ignition needs both cam and crank, crank I think can stop it starting.

Have you tried a timing gun to see if it is still sparking?

Does the rev counter try moving on cranking?

I think we may be looking at loom issues, you need to see if you can get hold of loom wiring diagram and locations off you know what software. And continuity check cam, crank, ect.

Could something have melted through causing a short?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 November 2006, 07:11:32 »

I like your approach there, Martin. I'll hook up the timing gun and let you know what result I get on all the leads.But I can tell you before I do it, that leads 2 and 3 will fire, and 1 and 4 will not.

I had a really close look last night, to make sure that I had no connectors transposed, and that everything was home, which it was.

It is definately not plug lead order causing the non starting, I'm 100% confident that is spot on, and I'm also 100% confident that it's not the cam timing. On the basis that it HAS ran, since the rebuild.

I did fit a different head onto the car during the rebuild, however I know that this is fine, and it can't be a major mechanical fault, because the engine turns, and remember it DID run (after the rebuilt, once it ran perfectly for up to 60 seconds on all 4 pots - I only turned it off due to needing more coolant. It then fired straight up again, and I was able to drive the car around on my drive)

I totally agree that it's not likely to be a petrol problem, that is pretty clear, because plugs 1 and 4 are wet and CLEAN (eg not firing) and plugs 2 and 3 are black and dry. Indicating that there's fuel in all injectors.

This indicates that it's firing only on plugs 2 and 3. I've changed the DIS pack to rule that out, but saw no change in symptoms at all. I've also tried another crank sensor.

I noticed that someone has fudged the wires on the bit of the loom that goes to the cam sensor a bit, however I've checked them out and the connections are all good.

I have noticed that, upon disconnecting the CAM sensor, the engine turns much more freely and does not try to fire. If I unplug the CRANK sensor the engine still almost catches and trys to run.

At the end of the day, I think if I had a spark on plugs 1 and 4 then it would start - so I need to work out why I've got no spark to those plugs. I've replaced so far - plugs - leads - crank sensor and DIS pack. No joy! I've attached a multimeter to the DIS connector, confirming that there is 12v there.

The only fault code stored is 19. Note that code 19 was stored as a fresh code as soon as I fitted the battery - eg before trying to turn the engine over.

Conclusion? I'm pretty sure it's electrical/engine management/sensor related, rather than a mechanical problem. I've been trying to eliminate the problem by changing all the usual culprits, but I believe I've exhausted all of these now, and I'm stuck for new ideas. I'm also aware that by buying DIS packs etc I'm throwing money at it good after bad, which I can't keep up if I'm only guessing.

I appreciate that I must be going on a bit, I'm just so gutted to have such a tidy Omega sat there that won't run! I'm confident between everyone, someone here will come up with something close :)

GaryB

• Stanmore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 November 2006, 11:58:35 »

This must be very frustrating for you.  From my understanding of the wasted spark system on the 2.0, the connector on the DIS has four pins which (I think) are: ground; +12v; signal from ECU for plugs 1&4; ECU signal for plugs 2&3.  However, I don't know which is which!.  You have found the +12v, and can easily find the ground pin, now it is a matter of unravelling the wiring diagram to sort out the other two and check for continuity back to ECU (or, indeed, for a short to ground on one of them).  Good Luck ;)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 November 2006, 12:20:11 »

That makes sense gary, thanks ever so much! My friend is an electrician, so I'm going to get him on the case!

How is it possible to test for continuity back to the ECU?

GaryB

• Stanmore
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 November 2006, 13:42:38 »

Unfortunately I no longer have my Haynes for the 2.0 (went with the car), but my Haynes for my Corsa (as a comparison) does show the wire colours and ECU pins for the corresponding connections on that motor- I don't know how easy it is to get at the connector at the ECU end (but must be feasible), so a simple check with your multimeter should hopefully give a clue!  The check is easy, in my experience, unravelling the wiring diagram and identifying the right cores is the tricky bit ;)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 November 2006, 14:08:38 »

The ECU connector is easy to get off..

I will need to get a wiring diagram then!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2006, 15:31:28 »

There are only three wires to the DIS pack on a 4 pot.....

Pin 1 - Black/yellow to ECU pin 39
Pin 2 - Black/red to ECU pin38
Pin 3 - Black - Main 12V feed

I to suspect a wiring fault, the clue is in the running following the plug lead 'fiddle'.....

Do check that the inserts in the plug are not pushed back into the connector body before buzzing anything through.....wouldn't be the first tim I have seen that happen....

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2006, 16:47:15 »

I know what you're saying mark, that once I fiddled with the leads, and it just fired into life!!

I'll have a good examination of the connector.

If wiring is suspected, don't forget I have a complete spare engine loom, how much of a headache would that be to change?

Martin_1962

« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2006, 19:56:27 »

DIS to ECU does sound very likely - wether it is a break or a short I do not know

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2006, 19:59:39 »

DIS to ECU does sound very likely - wether it is a break or a short I do not know
I would have thought a short would be picked up by ECU, and flag it. But I don't know enough about 2.0l really.
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 27 November 2006, 11:47:23 »

All are similar really, my last car had a short on a spark circuit, no fault flagged, but it killed the DIS in minutes
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.