Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5TD Overheating or overpressurising?  (Read 4053 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5TD Overheating or overpressurising?
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2007, 13:27:13 »

Its the middle section thats important....on end is likely to warm up jut via conduction....
Is it possible to get it checked somewhere before I blow £200 on new rad?

Take it out for a really good reverse flush?
From what I've heard, the tractors are prone to rad silting, and no amount of normal flushing affects it.

I would have though that the silt would have silted up the bottom of the rad, yet that seems (heat wise) normal...

Bleh... flush it with petrol ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2007, 15:41:31 »

Quick update.  On a gentle 60/70mph trip up A43 to Silverstone and back (about 15m round trip), it was flawless.  No coolant seeping from cap.  Temp never really went 94/95.

Went on a shorter trip, giving it a good thrashing, temp went up to just over 95.  It then seeped coolant from cap.

:-/
Grumpy old man

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2007, 16:18:48 »

have you checked to see if the TD has a differently rated expansion tank cap to the V6 and 4 pot???    not sure about today, but back in the good old days, (Sennie A & B and earlier....)  you could get a range of Cap ratings to deal with different temperature and pressure conditions.

it's just a thought....

also, last time i looked, Serck would do a re-core for a a LOT less than a new Rad.  they're based here in oxford as well./...

Max

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2007, 16:40:18 »

have you checked to see if the TD has a differently rated expansion tank cap to the V6 and 4 pot???    not sure about today, but back in the good old days, (Sennie A & B and earlier....)  you could get a range of Cap ratings to deal with different temperature and pressure conditions.

it's just a thought....

also, last time i looked, Serck would do a re-core for a a LOT less than a new Rad.  they're based here in oxford as well./...

Max

EPC shows the diesel caps to be different. Q&H catalogue shows them to be the same.  Either way, would I be right in thinking petrol and diesel cooling systems would be under similar pressure for same temperature?

It would appear the cap begins to go at 95ish...
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2007, 16:43:22 »

Yes, the coolant pressures should be about the same.....

The cap should not be leaking at 95deg if the system is not over pressurised somewhere.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 April 2007, 16:44:36 »

Yes, the coolant pressures should be about the same.....

The cap should not be leaking at 95deg if the system is not over pressurised somewhere.....
I am making a huge assumption that the dash gauge is accurate of course.....
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 April 2007, 20:15:01 »

Swap caps with the MV6?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 April 2007, 20:17:23 »

Swap caps with the MV6?
I have tried the original cap, a new Q&H cap, and a cap from a TD at scrappy. The Q&H is the best.  I will try the MV6 one if you thing worthwhile...
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2007, 20:21:31 »

Quick update.  On a gentle 60/70mph trip up A43 to Silverstone and back (about 15m round trip), it was flawless.  No coolant seeping from cap.  Temp never really went 94/95.

Went on a shorter trip, giving it a good thrashing, temp went up to just over 95.  It then seeped coolant from cap.

That just aboput confirms it then , if its fine cruising and only overheats when boosting hard hence producing lots more heat, it has to be a silted up radiator as i first suspected!!!
IT HAS TO BE!!!!

Or just cruise everywhere and enjoy the economy!!! ;D
« Last Edit: 04 April 2007, 20:22:16 by Omegatoy »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 April 2007, 20:22:50 »

That just aboput confirms it then , if its fine cruising and only overheats when boosting hard hence producing lots more heat, it has to be a silted up radiator as i first suspected!!!
IT HAS TO BE!!!!
But why is cap letting go at only 95 degrees? As far as dash gauge is concerned, its not overheating....
« Last Edit: 04 April 2007, 20:23:50 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 April 2007, 20:35:36 »

IT HAS TO BE!!!!
But why is cap letting go at only 95 degrees? As far as dash gauge is concerned, its not overheating....

you keep saying *Assuming the gauge is reading correctly* till you change the cts and confirm it with the tech2 I would guess the gauge is a bit lazy mate!!!
but the fact remains when boosting hard it produces a hell of a lot more heat for the cooling system to cope with and if the rad is slightly suspect there is nowhere for the extra heat to disapait disapate dissiapate  drat cant spell that  :-[ the heat to be gotten rid of!!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 April 2007, 20:44:45 »

IT HAS TO BE!!!!

you keep saying *Assuming the gauge is reading correctly* till you change the cts and confirm it with the tech2 I would guess the gauge is a bit lazy mate!!!
but the fact remains when boosting hard it produces a hell of a lot more heat for the cooling system to cope with and if the rad is slightly suspect there is nowhere for the extra heat to disapait disapate dissiapate  drat cant spell that  :-[ the heat to be gotten rid of!!!
I'm picking up a new CTS tomorrow, about £15 from Motorserv, and they have one. Considered getting one from scrappy, but can't get there for a few days...

Best price on rad so far is £185 + VAT from Vx  :'(
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 April 2007, 21:02:16 »

IT HAS TO BE!!!!

I'm picking up a new CTS tomorrow, about £15 from Motorserv, and they have one. Considered getting one from scrappy, but can't get there for a few days...

HEY thats great mate, have you enquired about having your rad rebuilt?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 April 2007, 21:04:03 »

IT HAS TO BE!!!!

HEY thats great mate, have you enquired about having your rad rebuilt?
Not yet.  How long does it take for rad to be refurbished?
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 April 2007, 22:19:41 »

Another angle on this is that if coolant flow is poor due to (for example) a blocked radiator, under heavy load you may get coolant boiling in the engine itself and overpressurising the system before there is any indication on the gauge, if accurate.

This is why a pressurised system will generally boil over if you take the pressure cap off, even below boiling point on the gauge. There are local hot spots in the engine that will boil the coolant if it's not under pressure and / or being circulated quickly.

Alternatively, there's not an air lock in the system, i suppose?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.