Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rattling Cat  (Read 8703 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Rattling Cat
« Reply #45 on: 30 June 2019, 13:52:41 »

for MOT euro emission standards (as per VTS device/ in service exhaust emission standards for road vehicles 19th edition)
x25xe and x30xe are Max CO Limit %Vol 0.3 Fast Idle, 0.5 Normal Idle, 200 ppm HC
z26se and z32se  are Max CO Limit %Vol 0.3 Fast Idle, 0.5 Normal Idle  200 ppm HC
0.97 to 1.03 lambda obviously
x prefix being euro 2 1996 on
z prefix being euro 3 2000 on

so that was well thought out  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 June 2019, 13:54:06 »

Exactly the same then
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 June 2019, 14:01:44 »

And the H/C requirements are largely unaffected by the cat and O2 sensors unless there is something badly wrong upstream; it's a better view of how good the bores/pistons/rings/valve stems are.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 June 2019, 14:05:04 »

Putting 3.0L cats on a 3.2L doesn't affect the emissions for mot.
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 30 June 2019, 14:08:13 »

Putting 3.0L cats on a 3.2L doesn't affect the emissions for mot.

for those who wanted a plain English summary of the tech talk  :y  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 30 June 2019, 14:30:16 »

Fair enough everyone; I am out voted!   ::) ::) ;D ;)

I just wanted to make amba clear of the facts with the cats being advertised when he has the same model as me of the same year ;)

Better to be safe than sorry as my mum always said 8) 8) :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 30 June 2019, 14:58:08 »

I just wanted to make amba clear of the facts with the cats being advertised when he has the same model as me of the same year ;)

not so
you make valid points Lizzie  :)
also, we all pay £305 to spew Co into the air , because we drive polluting tanks
My emissions at MOT where zero C0 ,HC was very low (can't remember exact number)

yet I follow new cars spewing out visible smoke , they pay £30 RFL  :-\ :(

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 30 June 2019, 15:01:03 »

not so
you make valid points Lizzie  :)
also, we all pay £305 to spew Co into the air , because we drive polluting tanks
My emissions at MOT where zero C0 ,HC was very low (can't remember exact number)

yet I follow new cars spewing out visible smoke , they pay £30 RFL  :-\ :(

Thanks Dave! :y

I was beginning to think differently given some of the reactions! ::) ::) ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 30 June 2019, 17:00:28 »

I didn't realise I had opened up "Pandoras Box".

Logic on a cost basis is to fit the cats from a 3.0/2.5 with the single catalytic converter,although as only 1 of mine is rattling the decision has been clouded slightly tbh.

Do I buy 2 at a cost of around £150 and then pay the extra for bosses which accept is negligible but as I don't have the skill set or equipment to weld then that is an extra cost.I am therefore in effect needing to replace 2 ...of which 1 original seems to be working correctly to avoid an MOT tester noticing 1 cat has 2 catalytic boxes and the other only 1 which I assume would be a no go 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 30 June 2019, 17:47:01 »

A bit of light reading...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/catalytic-convertors/catalytic-converters-advice-on-type-approval-and-legal-requirements-for-suppliers-and-manufacturers :y

Yep, very interesting and in particular the following paragraphs should be food for thought for those intending to use a non sapproved type on a car that requires the approved cat:

"Breaching the requirements of the 2009 Regulations can amount to a criminal offence, punishable by a fine of up to £5,000.

It is also an offence under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3)) to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to £1,000 for a car or £2,500 for a light goods vehicle."

But I suppose everyone has the right to make their own decision, take the risks and then take the consequences if they arise, like with everything else we do with our cars ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 30 June 2019, 17:48:41 »

Logic on a cost basis is to fit the cats from a 3.0/2.5 with the single catalytic converter,although as only 1 of mine is rattling the decision has been clouded slightly tbh.

Do I buy 2 at a cost of around £150 and then pay the extra for bosses which accept is negligible but as I don't have the skill set or equipment to weld then that is an extra cost.I am therefore in effect needing to replace 2 ...of which 1 original seems to be working correctly to avoid an MOT tester noticing 1 cat has 2 catalytic boxes and the other only 1 which I assume would be a no go

I know what I would do, but it is your decision amba after considering all the above; best of luck with that! :D ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 30 June 2019, 17:55:46 »

I know what I would do, but it is your decision amba after considering all the above; best of luck with that! :D ;)
Team up with someone who's cat is rattling on the other side Lizzie to reduce the cost  :-\  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 30 June 2019, 17:57:01 »

Team up with someone who's cat is rattling on the other side Lizzie to reduce the cost  :-\  ;D

;D ;D ;D :P

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 30 June 2019, 18:04:52 »

.....that famous scene in the great film Dirty Harry with Clint Eastwood comes to mind:

"Well, punk, are you feeling lucky?  Well are you?  I know what you are thinking, has my Magnum, the worlds's most powerful hand gun fired six shots, or just 5?"  :D :D ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.