Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 186   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Person  (Read 368705 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Person
« Reply #120 on: 02 October 2017, 21:48:51 »

RIP Tom Petty. Many musicians in their 60's or early 70's seem to be passing away. :'(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 02 October 2017, 22:16:05 »

Genuinely sad and shocked to hear this news .

I recorded a programe about a year ago on  BBC4 Friday music night which tracked TP and the Heartbreakers from the begining to circa 2015 . If you're a fan it is incredibly interesting and thoroughly enjoyable .I'd expect it to be broadcast again in light of this news so check the listings.
Walter Becker last month and now Tom Petty , tragic.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 02 October 2017, 22:34:13 »

And theres no-one coming along to replace these people unfortunately.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 02 October 2017, 22:58:21 »

Couldn't agree more Albs . I'd argue all day that the seventies was the best music decade .....ever . I'm buying a lot of cd's off Ebay ( Music Magpie ) replacing all my vinyl and returning to these artists from that era and listening to their lyrics,chord structures and harmonies just highlights the total absence of musical depth most ,if not all, have today.
I watch Jools Holland's shows and despair.
I feel a real loss when they pass.
Don

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 03 October 2017, 02:37:53 »

RIP Tom Petty. Many musicians in their 60's or early 70's seem to be passing away. :'(

Just saw this. When you think that he was playing Hyde Park just a few weeks ago . . . .

Unfortunately for many years he smoked. Oh dear.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 03 October 2017, 09:23:08 »

Couldn't agree more Albs . I'd argue all day that the seventies was the best music decade .....ever . I'm buying a lot of cd's off Ebay ( Music Magpie ) replacing all my vinyl and returning to these artists from that era and listening to their lyrics,chord structures and harmonies just highlights the total absence of musical depth most ,if not all, have today.
I watch Jools Holland's shows and despair.
I feel a real loss when they pass.
Don

il second all this too. mid seventies to mid eighties for me was the best.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 03 October 2017, 09:59:06 »

Mid 60,s to mid 70,s for me. After the mid 70,s very few people of interest came along. SRV, John Mayer, and that's all I can think of.
Before that there were countless artists / bands who were enormously creative, and masters of their craft.
The creativity died and the corporations took over, everything became bland and derivative, and eventually we ended up with an industry, which is run by people like Simon Cowell.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 03 October 2017, 10:11:40 »

Mid 60,s to mid 70,s for me. After the mid 70,s very few people of interest came along. SRV, John Mayer, and that's all I can think of.
Before that there were countless artists / bands who were enormously creative, and masters of their craft.
The creativity died and the corporations took over, everything became bland and derivative, and eventually we ended up with an industry, which is run by people like Simon Cowell.

Don't think all the blame can be set against "corporations" ,,, when I were a "yoof" there were folk clubs, jazz clubs, R&B clubs, even things called "youth clubs" where aspiring musicians could try things out and/or learn their craft, as well as listen to a very wide range of music. All these places have no gone, so just where do the young of today learn to be creative or try things out ?? even if they wished to?? in their place we have youtube/twitter/spotify etc etc etc.... all prepackaged because thats what todays youth WANT

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 03 October 2017, 10:49:59 »

Don't think all the blame can be set against "corporations" ,,, when I were a "yoof" there were folk clubs, jazz clubs, R&B clubs, even things called "youth clubs" where aspiring musicians could try things out and/or learn their craft, as well as listen to a very wide range of music. All these places have no gone, so just where do the young of today learn to be creative or try things out ?? even if they wished to?? in their place we have youtube/twitter/spotify etc etc etc.... all prepackaged because thats what todays youth WANT

Yep, and remember the days when us teenagers where being shoveled what the adults of the time (1950s) wanted, nothing we we could identify with.  Then, bang, it happened from the late 1950's; music for teenagers by teenagers, or at least those in their early twenties.  Before it had been Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Como, etc., then it was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Holly, and THE BEATLES!! :-* :-* :-* :-*

No longer could adults tell us teenagers what to listen to, with our own (pirate) radio stations, Luxembourg, then Radio 1.  Now that trend is still there; the kids like what they like and it is a mistake if anyone too old tries to tell them what to listen too.  Even Simon Cowell must now watch his aging step!  He will soon be a dinosaur as the kids lock on to something else; the next music revolution 8) 8) 8) ;)   

Oh, and RIP Tom Petty :'( :'( :'(
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 10:53:25 by Lizzie Zoom »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 03 October 2017, 11:39:30 »

Yep, and remember the days when us teenagers where being shoveled what the adults of the time (1950s) wanted, nothing we we could identify with.  Then, bang, it happened from the late 1950's; music for teenagers by teenagers, or at least those in their early twenties.  Before it had been Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Como, etc., then it was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Holly, and THE BEATLES!! :-* :-* :-* :-*

No longer could adults tell us teenagers what to listen to, with our own (pirate) radio stations, Luxembourg, then Radio 1.  Now that trend is still there; the kids like what they like and it is a mistake if anyone too old tries to tell them what to listen too.  Even Simon Cowell must now watch his aging step!  He will soon be a dinosaur as the kids lock on to something else; the next music revolution 8) 8) 8) ;)   

Damn right Lizzie ! Break free ! Unshackle the chains ! Scream out your Rebel Yell !  !  ;D

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 03 October 2017, 12:07:05 »

Your kind of proving my point Nige. In the early days of pop / rock music, to be successful you had to start in youth clubs, coffee bars, pubs, etc. cutting your teeth and learning your craft on the job.
Now, you would probably attend a stage school, where any creative talent you may have will be drummed out of you, then do an audition for X factor or similar, bypassing all those stages where craft is learned, and the wheat usually got sorted from the chaff along the way.
I don't think its like this because todays yoof want it. Todays yoof don't know what it was like previously, and if they did, I'm sure they would want that instead.
Even more serious minded musicians don't follow the old routes these days, partially because, as you say, the small venues aren't there in great numbers any more.
Instead they will learn how to produce their own albums via their computer, at home, and then release it on the internet.
Nothing wrong with that in itself I suppose, but I wonder what happens when they become a bit of an internet sensation, and then have to start performing at gigs.
Even the big stars of yesteryear disappoint me now. They usually play the O2, because it has a lot of seats to put bums on at £100+ per seat, and thousands of people sit in this soulless place watching the artist on the screens at the side of the stage, because they are so far away they are too small to see.
The audiences applaud politely at the end of each song, until its time to go home. It aint a rock concert like I remember rock concerts.
Almost every memorable gig Ive been to has been at a small (1500 max.) venue.
The only exception being Roger Waters at the O2, as he seemed to have worked out how to make the place feel small.
I'm in rant mode now, in case no-one had noticed.  ;D
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 12:08:52 by Migv6 »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 03 October 2017, 13:01:55 »

I find it hard to decide who I dislike most.

The shithead Simon Cowell......or the shithead Jeremy Kyle.

Both should be at the top of TB's cull list.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 03 October 2017, 13:15:50 »

Damn right Lizzie ! Break free ! Unshackle the chains ! Scream out your Rebel Yell !  !  ;D

Trouble is shall I dress up in my Hippy gear, or me as a rock chic?  Decided,  Rock On!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 03 October 2017, 13:27:10 »

Your kind of proving my point Nige. In the early days of pop / rock music, to be successful you had to start in youth clubs, coffee bars, pubs, etc. cutting your teeth and learning your craft on the job.
Now, you would probably attend a stage school, where any creative talent you may have will be drummed out of you, then do an audition for X factor or similar, bypassing all those stages where craft is learned, and the wheat usually got sorted from the chaff along the way.
I don't think its like this because todays yoof want it. Todays yoof don't know what it was like previously, and if they did, I'm sure they would want that instead.
Even more serious minded musicians don't follow the old routes these days, partially because, as you say, the small venues aren't there in great numbers any more.
Instead they will learn how to produce their own albums via their computer, at home, and then release it on the internet.
Nothing wrong with that in itself I suppose, but I wonder what happens when they become a bit of an internet sensation, and then have to start performing at gigs.
Even the big stars of yesteryear disappoint me now. They usually play the O2, because it has a lot of seats to put bums on at £100+ per seat, and thousands of people sit in this soulless place watching the artist on the screens at the side of the stage, because they are so far away they are too small to see.
The audiences applaud politely at the end of each song, until its time to go home. It aint a rock concert like I remember rock concerts.
Almost every memorable gig Ive been to has been at a small (1500 max.) venue.
The only exception being Roger Waters at the O2, as he seemed to have worked out how to make the place feel small.
I'm in rant mode now, in case no-one had noticed.  ;D

Sorry, but it's really not as bad as that. Yes, there are the manufactured acts, and the "instant fame" routes like Arsefactor etc, but there are still small venues, there are still bunches of guys with guitars and drums driving around in crap vans. I know this, as I go to see them, and when I go to see them I feel like someones grandad! My son plays 
in a small band in London in his spare time, my daughters partner sings in a band on the South Coast in his spare time. Even where I live and in Swansea there are small venues where a band can get a 40 minute slot for beer money, and to flog their CDs burned on their computer at home.

Seek and ye shall find  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #134 on: 03 October 2017, 14:19:03 »

Talent will always shine through.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 186   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.