Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jag Experts.  (Read 6649 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Jag Experts.
« on: 10 March 2019, 18:54:23 »

If you had the choice, would you get:

2013/14 XF-S Portolio with 3.0d

Or

2015/15 R-Sport with 2.0d?

The later one is the newer shape, is is significantly better? The 3.0 would give effortless power and be silky smooth. But wonder if the newer I4 in the latest shape would be sufficient.

Both are suitable replacements for a Merc.  ::)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Jag Experts.
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2019, 19:09:37 »

The 3 litre engine is sublime, not tried the newer jag 2.0s but i have heard that with the newer gearbox it is pretty good.  Depends if you want better economy and something that will still put a smile on your face.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2019, 19:14:52 »

Later model will be dynamically better as you would expect. Build quality will be 'patchy' though and certainly not as good as the older car.

I had a 17 plate 3.0S derv in Caesium blue as a loaner car for a week. 300 BHP and over 500 lb ft of torque. Didn't like it very much because in common with most 'lorry fuel' cars it had a very narrow power band. 43 MPG according to the trip computer though.

I wouldn't bother with the 2 litre lump.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2019, 19:21:44 »

The 3 litre engine is sublime, not tried the newer jag 2.0s but i have heard that with the newer gearbox it is pretty good.  Depends if you want better economy and something that will still put a smile on your face.

Are you feeling under the weather, Mr Gaffer? :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2019, 19:24:12 »

I bet Sir Lyons is revving quite well in his grave with this talk of tractors. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2019, 19:42:28 »

There you go. I also had  one day in an 2.0D 180 XE. The less said about that the better. Glacially slow with woeful quality control.

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2019, 22:12:29 »

2.0 diesel........sport? Nah.  ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2019, 23:31:13 »

Diesel Jag, no never in my book.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2019, 10:04:14 »

Are you feeling under the weather, Mr Gaffer? :)

Nope, i had the 2.7 XF and found the 3.0 a vast improvement on what was already something pretty good.  If you are comparing it to other jags with their larger petrol engines then sure it is 'orrid guv.  But for a weasel i thought it was very good, especially on long trips.  I took the 2.7 from Hohne to Frankfurt once starting the journey at midnight. Normally a 4+ hour drive we arrived at 0230 much to Mrs G's annoyance.  I never understood why she was peed off because she slept the whole way including the 30 minutes spent at 155mph.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 March 2019, 10:16:29 »

Thanks all  :y

There you go. I also had  one day in an 2.0D 180 XE. The less said about that the better. Glacially slow with woeful quality control.

Love that colour, think FatherT had XE in that colour as loaner, very striking.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 March 2019, 10:54:22 »

Not convinced a 0-60 of circa 8 seconds is slow (which is easily achieved)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2019, 12:28:36 »

It's possible the XE I had was missing a few of it's 180 ponies.

The best I could manage was 60 in 8.82 seconds*.......in 458.31 feet. Most of the time it took longer than 9 seconds.

* Racelogic Performance box.  :)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2019, 12:43:12 »

My 2.0 diesel auto is something like 9.7 secs to 62. I've never felt that it was too slow in normal driving conditions. Granted, if I were a bit of a gap-toothed, Terry Thomas type cad like Opti, I might want a bit more grunt.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 March 2019, 12:50:53 »

My 2.0 diesel auto is something like 9.7 secs to 62. I've never felt that it was too slow in normal driving conditions. Granted, if I were a bit of a gap-toothed, Terry Thomas type cad like Opti, I might want a bit more grunt.

Speaking of Terry Thomas I hope somebody puts a bullet between my eyes before I end up like this. Very sad. :-X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRWiO_J-8ok

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 11 March 2019, 13:01:12 »

Speaking of Terry Thomas I hope somebody puts a bullet between my eyes before I end up like this. Very sad. :-X

Dear me  :(
If you feel yourself slipping, just give me a call and I'll come round and put you out of your misery. No need to thank me.  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2019, 13:08:53 »

Dear me  :(
If you feel yourself slipping, just give me a call and I'll come round and put you out of your misery. No need to thank me.  :)

Out of kindness and compassion I will do the same for you. How about this Thursday 2PM?..... :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2019, 13:21:55 »

I dare say Uncle Stemo will be out on the rob all week with all these fences blown down with the wind  ::)
looks like i'll be busy too ,repairing fences  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2019, 13:31:34 »

That's exactly how I remember my Granddad. He went at 87, but the last decade wasn't one I'd wish on anyone and was immeasurably hard on my mother as his carer.

Fortunately, treatments are much better now - back then (similar time period) they consisted of huge doses of Diazepam, pretty much enough to knock out a horse. Sure, it stopped the tremors but it also robbed you of being able to do anything other than sit and dribble :(

STEMO

« Reply #18 on: 11 March 2019, 15:32:24 »

I dare say Uncle Stemo will be out on the rob all week with all these fences blown down with the wind  ::)
Nah. I've been knocking on old ladies' doors telling them the wind has damaged their ridge tiles. Yon know, the ones you can't see from the street. I'll do the job dead cheap, but I need a small payment up front for materials.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 March 2019, 16:03:46 »

Nah. I've been knocking on old ladies' doors telling them the wind has damaged their ridge tiles. Yon know, the ones you can't see from the street. I'll do the job dead cheap, but I need a small payment up front for materials.
;D
Good luck  :y
Fencing supplies ordered ,think i'll wait till the wind calms down before doing any of it though  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 March 2019, 16:38:26 »

Oh, @rse! That reminds me. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 March 2019, 18:42:30 »

Agreed.

How can a car with an engine taken from a cement mixer or dumper truck be considered 'sporty'

2boxerdogs

« Reply #22 on: 11 March 2019, 18:46:56 »

Agreed.

How can a car with an engine taken from a cement mixer or dumper truck be considered 'sporty'

Just don't think Jaguar & diesel go together , then I remember the getaway cars of the sixties 😀

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 March 2019, 19:07:44 »

Or

The later one is the newer shape, is is significantly better? The 3.0 would give effortless power and be silky smooth. But wonder if the newer I4 in the latest shape would be sufficient.

I've not driven new XF (260), but have driven a small number of 250's, which are a great drivers car. The 260 has a better cabin, and is all ali construction.  But a fair few on the forums say the earlier car drives better.

Presumable by XFS you mean the real 3.0d, not the half arsed one that most XF's get. Its a stonking engine, though the early 8 speed variants have gearbox reliability issues (much like the first of the 6 speed ones Jag used on S type, X types etc). Its smooth, quiet, refined and feels uninspiring...  ...until you look at the speedo.  But you're not one to use the engine much, so maybe the 4 pot tractor is more suited.  Despite its low BHP, its torquey enough to be quite drivable.

The lower spec 3.0d is just pointless, unless you found your otherwise ideal car. Its same tax, insure and economy, and doesn't command much of a premium to buy.  However, when I looked, most XFS Portfolios on autotrader turned out to be lower spec, even as low as Luxury.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 March 2019, 19:13:06 »

Agreed.

Just don't think Jaguar & diesel go together , then I remember the getaway cars of the sixties 😀
I suspect a 9yr old 3.0d Jag would get away an awful lot quicker than a 15yr old V8 E Class ;)
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 March 2019, 19:28:29 »

Agreed.

I suspect a 9yr old 3.0d Jag would get away an awful lot quicker than a 15yr old V8 E Class ;)

Oooh............that's fighting talk. :D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #26 on: 11 March 2019, 21:53:51 »

Agreed.

Don't know never driven either , but I know which one would sound better & have much superior build quality.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 March 2019, 22:45:40 »

Agreed.

Don't know never driven either , but I know which one would sound better & have much superior build quality.

So the Jag then.  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 March 2019, 22:48:46 »

Or

I've not driven new XF (260), but have driven a small number of 250's, which are a great drivers car. The 260 has a better cabin, and is all ali construction.  But a fair few on the forums say the earlier car drives better.

Presumable by XFS you mean the real 3.0d, not the half arsed one that most XF's get. Its a stonking engine, though the early 8 speed variants have gearbox reliability issues (much like the first of the 6 speed ones Jag used on S type, X types etc). Its smooth, quiet, refined and feels uninspiring...  ...until you look at the speedo.  But you're not one to use the engine much, so maybe the 4 pot tractor is more suited.  Despite its low BHP, its torquey enough to be quite drivable.

The lower spec 3.0d is just pointless, unless you found your otherwise ideal car. Its same tax, insure and economy, and doesn't command much of a premium to buy.  However, when I looked, most XFS Portfolios on autotrader turned out to be lower spec, even as low as Luxury.

Yes, true XF-S. Can spot true ones with upgraded seats, sound system bulge etc.

When were the later 8 speed boxes fitted?

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2019, 06:30:26 »

Sound system bulge?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12 March 2019, 08:13:25 »

Sound system bulge?
Must be marketing wank for summat trendy ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 12 March 2019, 08:48:13 »

Sound system bulge?

It's the one you get in your pants from the vibrations.

STEMO, you may have to think back 20 or 30 years. :P

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 12 March 2019, 09:41:41 »

Sound system bulge?

It's the one you get in your pants from the vibrations.

STEMO, you may have to think back 20 or 30 years. :P
I'll get a huge erection if we leave on 29th without a deal.   ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 March 2019, 11:27:32 »

Having actually viewed the above XF-S, comparing to later 260 model, the interior does look better on newer ones:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901143924872?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1501&sort=recommended&make=JAGUAR&model=XF&postcode=tw89de&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=17000&page=1

Helped though by Black leather, which I prefer.  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 March 2019, 11:41:52 »

Meridian surround is the only setup that has a speaker fitted behind the IP grill (or B&W on the early models.....not that there is much real difference), all vehicles have the grill, some have a raised grill (to support a speaker with coaxial tweeter rather than a standard mid range speaker)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 March 2019, 11:59:37 »

Meridian surround is the only setup that has a speaker fitted behind the IP grill (or B&W on the early models.....not that there is much real difference), all vehicles have the grill, some have a raised grill (to support a speaker with coaxial tweeter rather than a standard mid range speaker)

Ahh, thanks  :y

Some lower specs had smooth dash? eg:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902144939823?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&make=JAGUAR&model=XF&aggregatedTrim=Premium%20Luxury&postcode=tw89de&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=recommended&price-to=17000&page=1

No bulge/speaker here? But will have a grill anyway? - Hard to tell (picture 20)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 March 2019, 12:00:57 »

On the newer 260 shape, is it worth seeking out higher spec? Again Portfolio? Any options of note should look out for?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 March 2019, 12:15:38 »

Depends on your budget, touch-pro appeared 2016 (17 MY) onwards and gives larger screen and better options (plus can be upgraded using a box of trick to get Smartphone pack), Meridian audio is good, memory seats can be useful.

All have wifi hotspot, remote start, climate etc

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 March 2019, 12:58:50 »

Depends on your budget, touch-pro appeared 2016 (17 MY) onwards and gives larger screen and better options (plus can be upgraded using a box of trick to get Smartphone pack), Meridian audio is good, memory seats can be useful.

:y :y

Thanks, remote start via an app? Might be useful in the winter!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 March 2019, 14:09:02 »

The new XE has been updated.....especially the interior which was 'low rent' in the original XE.

There may be some bargains around.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 12 March 2019, 15:01:20 »

:y :y

Thanks, remote start via an app? Might be useful in the winter!

Standard on X260 (although it costs 30 quid a year after year three)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 March 2019, 18:52:12 »

Agreed.

Me to.  And it won't be the parts bin (post 1990 "designed" Merc).
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 March 2019, 18:55:29 »

Can spot true ones with...
No you can't ;). Whats why so many sellers get away with mis-describing.

When were the later 8 speed boxes fitted?
From the facelift circa 2012. But avoid the first ones with it.
Grumpy old man

2boxerdogs

« Reply #44 on: 13 March 2019, 20:02:03 »

Agreed.

I never argue when I know I'm right 😀

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13 March 2019, 20:17:38 »

Even when you're wrong :P.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #46 on: 13 March 2019, 20:37:15 »

Agreed.

So...you argue when you know you're wrong?  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.