Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Job done..  (Read 1653 times)

2boxerdogs

Job done..
« on: 08 March 2018, 10:02:13 »

Well SWMBO'S handed her notice in, after 30 years in the science department of our local high school had enough of budget cuts, and poor standards of some of the new teaching staff.Finishes on the 23rd of April & never seen her look happier. Officially became an OAP yesterday so gets state pension & her occupational pension hardly any change in her total income, so no more hassle & at last not stuck with school holidays .
« Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 10:06:20 by Tilbo »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Job done..
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2018, 10:11:48 »

Good news, mate. Tell her to enjoy her retirement. My wife was the same after she quit Waitrose after 23 years. Gone are the worry, strain, idiots and green behind the ears new staff. Jumped up power conscious young managers. >:(
Yes...she is as your wife, at her happiest. And also, almost financially equal !!
Enjoy :y
« Last Edit: 08 March 2018, 10:13:20 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2018, 10:23:24 »

I felt the same when I retired from college as a lecturer. The students weren't really the problem, but inept management and government interference certainly were! Good luck to you both.
I'm not so lucky with income, though.....

Ron.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2018, 10:36:07 »

Thanks guys, she has always loved her job but over the last two years have noticed a big change in her, came to a head just before Christmas when telling me about the latest cuts to her department & she burst into tears, my answer was simple if anything reduces you to that it's time to call it a day, once she got all the figures in she was pleasantly surprised & needed no more convincing.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2018, 10:41:59 »

YAY! However, it is such a tragedy that dedicated people should be effectively hounded from what they are good at for political reasons.
TB, cull all of the accountants and let real people rule, ok?

Ron.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2018, 10:45:19 »

YAY! However, it is such a tragedy that dedicated people should be effectively hounded from what they are good at for political reasons.
TB, cull all of the accountants and let real people rule, ok?

Ron.

You said it ! Would you believe she is still worrying how bad the results may be later in the year, soon change that once we get some time away.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2018, 10:48:23 »

It is a shame that people are reduced to tears after spending most of their working life in a job they once loved. I can remember going into the wife's branch and being greeted by the branch manager, department managers, and staff. All on a level playing field. Wife did extra hours to help them out, and it was good camaraderie.
Then things started to change...one lad, who started there at 16, made it quite clear, he was going to the top and he did not care who he trod on to get there.
Ironically he arrived back to the branch years later, as branch manager....what a horrible piece of work. The staff hated him, and speaking to staff now, about his successors, its gone downhill all the way.
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2018, 10:57:03 »

She's done the right thing, education is not a good place to be at the moment. My wife really used to enjoy teaching but, now that she is a head, it's all admin and fighting for money and dealing with idiots who are only in it for the cash. It's definitely not a profession that I would advise anyone to go into right now, and I can't see things getting better any time soon.
Wifey's retirement age is 68 now, no doubt 70 by the time she keels over she gets there.
Enjoy your retirement together. :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2018, 19:37:24 »

When/if a job brings you to tears it's definitely the time to bail out!Sounds as though she's made exactly the right decision.Long may she[and you]enjoy a happy and no doubt well deserved retirement :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 March 2018, 20:36:09 »

I echo others when I say good luck to her and now enjoy those days of doing what she wants to do, not what others dictate  8) 8) :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 March 2018, 21:46:15 »

Teaching is a dead easy job; anyone can do it - badly!

Ron.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 March 2018, 22:11:58 »

Good decision. More to life than daily grief. You soon adjust to maybe a lower income.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 March 2018, 22:28:39 »

My big regret is not opting for a life in the public sector. Yes of course there is crap to put up with, but not nearly as much as having to survive in a competitive commercial environment, an insecure competitive commercial environment.

Giving up work, but having around the same overall income ? Sounds good to me, very good.

A neighbour where I used to live only took on the responsibilities of promotion soon before retirement, solely for the final salary pension package. Hmmmmm

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2018, 07:59:14 »

She's done the right thing, education is not a good place to be at the moment.

My son is almost finished with his Teacher training at Birmingham University, and has a job offer at an all girls school in Kings Heath, as a Chemistry/Science teacher.

He took this step because having got an MChem 1st from York, and 3 years experience in drug research, his company was shedding staff, and he took VR, and got out just before they went into administration.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2018, 10:08:34 »

My big regret is not opting for a life in the public sector. Yes of course there is crap to put up with, but not nearly as much as having to survive in a competitive commercial environment, an insecure competitive commercial environment.

Giving up work, but having around the same overall income ? Sounds good to me, very good.

A neighbour where I used to live only took on the responsibilities of promotion soon before retirement, solely for the final salary pension package. Hmmmmm

Yes we realise we are lucky indeed to have these other pensions in addition to the state one, but even these are not as good for anybody entering the public sector now.
A sign of the times , I was able to take partial retirement in 2014 when I reached 60 in the prison service , always said I would retire completely in March 2021 , get my state pension in September 2019, and got to admit the closer that gets the more attractive to finish then seems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.