Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery  (Read 2501 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Battery
« Reply #15 on: 06 July 2007, 10:58:45 »

Diluting it in the process.

Only thing that can bet out of a battery is water vapour, so it actually dilutes it back to the strength it should be!

Kevin
Unless things have changed since I did an A Level project on rechargable battery technologies, the acid can as well....

But, either way, tbh, on a sealed battery, you are only delaying the day it will fail, possibly more inconveniently...
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 July 2007, 11:09:55 »

Unless things have changed since I did an A Level project on rechargable battery technologies, the acid can as well....

OK. I suspect the main issue with the vehicle I have to top up regularly is underbonnet temperatures and I think that will only drive off water through evaporation? I may be wrong though.

It certainly doesn't take that long (9 months maybe) before the electrolyte level uncovers the plates and, soon after that, it has trouble cranking the engine.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 July 2007, 11:21:57 »

OK. I suspect the main issue with the vehicle I have to top up regularly is underbonnet temperatures and I think that will only drive off water through evaporation? I may be wrong though.

It certainly doesn't take that long (9 months maybe) before the electrolyte level uncovers the plates and, soon after that, it has trouble cranking the engine.

Kevin

Don't know about that - my project involved abusing it from a charging/discharging (the real motive was because I was into radio controlled car racing at time, and we charged from 12v batteries. But I got a good mark for the project ;))
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #18 on: 06 July 2007, 11:22:49 »

PartCo

£52.76

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 July 2007, 11:39:23 »

Don't know about that - my project involved abusing it from a charging/discharging (the real motive was because I was into radio controlled car racing at time, and we charged from 12v batteries. But I got a good mark for the project)

Sounds fun! My project was investigating how transistors performed at elevated temperatures. Elevated in this case meant burying them in sand in an old baked bean tin and training all the bunson burners in the lab at it  ;)

A mate of mine did penetration of air pistol pellets into plasticine, although that got knocked on the head early after a clueless supply teacher picked up the loaded air pistol and inadvertently took a pot shot at the class!

Happy days! I bet schools are a bit dumbed down these days...

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 July 2007, 12:12:53 »

Don't know about that - my project involved abusing it from a charging/discharging (the real motive was because I was into radio controlled car racing at time, and we charged from 12v batteries. But I got a good mark for the project)

Sounds fun! My project was investigating how transistors performed at elevated temperatures. Elevated in this case meant burying them in sand in an old baked bean tin and training all the bunson burners in the lab at it  ;)

A mate of mine did penetration of air pistol pellets into plasticine, although that got knocked on the head early after a clueless supply teacher picked up the loaded air pistol and inadvertently took a pot shot at the class!

Kevin
I heard that bunsen burners are not allowed to be used by pupils in some schools :(
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 July 2007, 12:24:35 »

6 years from a battery on a car with the electrical goodies of an Omega is pretty good going...

Martin_1962

« Reply #22 on: 06 July 2007, 12:27:47 »

6 years from a battery on a car with the electrical goodies of an Omega is pretty good going...

a) Just paid for a years road tax
b) Just bought a crank sensor
c) Got to pay caravan storage
d) Going outs are greater than coming ins!

Martin_1962

« Reply #23 on: 06 July 2007, 13:36:45 »

Sureparts Redditch £38 + VAT

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 July 2007, 13:40:30 »

Still can't beat TC price yet - and we know genuine parts are good quality...
Grumpy old man

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 July 2007, 15:00:01 »

Still can't beat TC price yet - and we know genuine parts are good quality...
would not be tempted to by cheaper battery,i agree genuine gm battery can last a lot longer than cheaper alternative,my first battery cheap one only lasted two years and packed up,gone for gm one this time two years down the line still spot on :y :y :y

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 July 2007, 15:21:19 »

No, cannot top up seal for life batteries.

;)

Done this in the past, lever off lid, top up, get another year or so!
Any risk it letting you down? Been there, learned my lesson (and for those who know me, thats why there is always a set of jumpleads in boot)

Agreed.  At the first sign of a battery failing, I change it without delay.  I find the Vaux GO range to be reasonably priced even without a TC.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2007, 15:23:31 »

I'll see how it goes - cheap due to trade prices

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2007, 15:24:54 »

Kevin

Yep, schools certainly are dumbed down owing to the fear of an accident and being sued.  I think that the science section of the curriculum needs sorting.  For example, the method described above would not even be considered these days which I think is a very great pity.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2007, 18:50:52 »

I'll see how it goes - cheap due to trade prices
Yeah, I have a UniFart one on the MV6, got it at trade, around £40.  All I can say is its replacement will be GM...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.