Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Omega to go for .......  (Read 1928 times)

WillyWonka

• View Profile
Which Omega to go for .......
« on: 04 July 2007, 18:45:57 »

Hi all ....
A little query that you all may be able to help me on. ::)

I am looking for a facelifted Omega and havent seen any comments on which is best .
I think the MV6 , the Elite or CDX models with either the 2.6 , or 3.2 engines.

What is the general advice on these - i guess mainly on the engine side as the spec for each model is pretty obvious and what should i expect to pay ish ?

Also how good is the Sat Nav as fitted to some 3.2's ? :o

Not too concerned about the fuel consumption unless it drinks it !! But the overall ownership and cost of repairs / running would need to be taken into account.

Sorry its a general question but could do with a little advice.
 :y :y
Thanks and regards

Simon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Which Omega to go for .......
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2007, 19:14:21 »

Hi all ....
A little query that you all may be able to help me on. ::)

I am looking for a facelifted Omega and havent seen any comments on which is best .
I think the MV6 , the Elite or CDX models with either the 2.6 , or 3.2 engines.

What is the general advice on these - i guess mainly on the engine side as the spec for each model is pretty obvious and what should i expect to pay ish ?

Also how good is the Sat Nav as fitted to some 3.2's ? :o

Not too concerned about the fuel consumption unless it drinks it !! But the overall ownership and cost of repairs / running would need to be taken into account.

Sorry its a general question but could do with a little advice.
 :y :y
Thanks and regards

Simon
Welcome :)

The model specs are obvious as you said.  The v6 models will have similar running costs, petrol aside. Due to gearing, 2.6 isn't much slower on paper, yet the 3.2 is noticably more powerful if that makes sense.  3.2 is only available in Auto (unless ex-plod), so if you want a manual, it will have to be a 2.6.

MPG wise, my 3.0l MV6 auto returns about 24-25 mpg on average (up to 33 on a good run). I would expect a 3.2 to be slightly less, and a 2.6 in the high 20s. A manual will probably get an extra couple of mpg.
Grumpy old man

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2007, 19:16:33 »

elite has quite a few toys to keep you busy, plus the bose stereo which is pretty good for a factory fit unit. However the suspension is set up for cruising rather than throwing it around ... the MV6 is better in that respect, but doesn't have the bose stereo, sunroof, heated rear seats and a few other toys.

To my knowledge, the sat nav (standard on 3.0/3.2, optional on 2.5/2.6) is the same head unit (NCDC2013 / NCDC2015 with phone), the later 3.2's had a colour display (optional on earlier models and smaller engines) - although you then get a map the software behind it is the same. The version I have does NOT have postcode entry for address, perhaps this has changed with a later software version?

Oh and the 3.2 auto has a big thirst around town ... mine won't even see 20MPG with local driving  :(

... and make sure you carry a spare crank sensor  :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2007, 19:17:24 »

Well the 2.6 is lot more common and also is a pretty good engine.

It is not much slower than the 3.0, but it is very smooth

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2007, 21:14:18 »

and if thirst is an issue, then a manual box helps.  driven carefully you should manage 30mpg around town with a manual
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2007, 22:18:50 »

If its toys - then elite. If its a sporty look then its MV6.

Go as new as you can on a prefacelift v6 ( 3.2 pretty rare)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2007, 22:21:13 »

My 3.2 MV6 auto manages about 26-27 MPG overall but not a great deal of that is real town driving. Mostly "A" roads with a little urban driving either end. Normally fairly sedate driving with the odd blast  [smiley=evil.gif] It certainly does get through a bit in real city driving but I don't do enough of that to really have a feel for it. Short trips seem to put a fair dent in the consumption as well.

On a motorway run, it'll do low 30's if you're not caning it. Have seen 35MPG average on a trip round the M25 where most of the driving was around 60 due to weight of traffic.

Handling is nice on the MV6. It can be chucked around impressively for a car of its' size. Certainly a bit crisper than an Elite I test drove but I'm only drawing a comparison to one other car so that may not be too representative. You do feel a few bumps through the suspension but it's still a comfortable ride compared to most cars at that level of handling IMHO.

I find performance is great. 0-60 in about 8 on paper for the 3.2 but it has power throughout the rev range meaning you don't have to give it any grief to drive quite briskly. Overtaking is a total breeze. In general a very comfortable and fun car to drive.

Overall cost of ownership depends how much maintenance you can do yourself. To be honest, with the help of the information on this site, and if you're willing to have a go, that will probably be most of it. Cam belt and tensioners need replacement every 40,000 miles / 4 years so that is a significant cost if you're getting a garage to do it, but help is always at hand here and it'll cost around 100 odd quid a time for the parts only. Ignore the 20,000 mile service interval and change the oil much more regularly. 3000-5000 miles is our recommendation but this is a 20 minute job once you're used to it. See the technical info. section for more details of servicing recommendations. It's worth changing the coolant reasonably regularly too, to avoid a couple of issues that can be caused by a weak antifreeze mix. On the whole, you'll see most of the regular problems with an Omega cropping up here but most are not expensive to fix and, provided the cam belt situation is kept on top of, there aren't often major problems.

A 3.2 will probably have other expenses over and above the 2.6. Tyres may be a little more expensive, for example. I find good quality tyres from the big names are about 100 quid a corner or thereabouts (235/45/17).

The only thing I didn't have on the MV6 spec. that I particularly wanted was cruise control and fortunately adding that was only a matter of changing the indicator stalk for one with the requisite extra buttons and getting the feature enabled using a Tech2. I find it's easy to let your speed wander (usually upwards ::) ) and cruise control helps keep that in check on motorway runs.

Sorry for the load of waffle but having been in your situation about 6 months ago most if this is fresh in my mind. I haven't once looked back, by the way :)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

WillyWonka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2007, 22:34:26 »

Thanks for all the information that just keeps on coming. :) :)

I have had many sports cars and general cars but this will be the first Vauxhall and look fwd to sharing a few points back to the group.

Will keep you updated on the search........ ;D ;D

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Regards

Simon

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2007, 23:19:42 »

... when are you looking to buy and how much are you looking to spend, I might be selling mine in about a month's time ... 3.2 auto elite estate on a 52-reg plate with just over 90k on the clock - cam belt, tensioners & water pump changed about 4 months ago ... ???

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2007, 23:46:03 »

;) :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2007, 16:11:04 »

My 3.2 MV6 auto manages about 26-27 MPG overall but not a great deal of that is real town driving. Mostly "A" roads with a little urban driving either end. Normally fairly sedate driving with the odd blast  [smiley=evil.gif] It certainly does get through a bit in real city driving but I don't do enough of that to really have a feel for it. Short trips seem to put a fair dent in the consumption as well.

On a motorway run, it'll do low 30's if you're not caning it. Have seen 35MPG average on a trip round the M25 where most of the driving was around 60 due to weight of traffic.

Handling is nice on the MV6. It can be chucked around impressively for a car of its' size. Certainly a bit crisper than an Elite I test drove but I'm only drawing a comparison to one other car so that may not be too representative. You do feel a few bumps through the suspension but it's still a comfortable ride compared to most cars at that level of handling IMHO.

I find performance is great. 0-60 in about 8 on paper for the 3.2 but it has power throughout the rev range meaning you don't have to give it any grief to drive quite briskly. Overtaking is a total breeze. In general a very comfortable and fun car to drive.

Overall cost of ownership depends how much maintenance you can do yourself. To be honest, with the help of the information on this site, and if you're willing to have a go, that will probably be most of it. Cam belt and tensioners need replacement every 40,000 miles / 4 years so that is a significant cost if you're getting a garage to do it, but help is always at hand here and it'll cost around 100 odd quid a time for the parts only. Ignore the 20,000 mile service interval and change the oil much more regularly. 3000-5000 miles is our recommendation but this is a 20 minute job once you're used to it. See the technical info. section for more details of servicing recommendations. It's worth changing the coolant reasonably regularly too, to avoid a couple of issues that can be caused by a weak antifreeze mix. On the whole, you'll see most of the regular problems with an Omega cropping up here but most are not expensive to fix and, provided the cam belt situation is kept on top of, there aren't often major problems.

A 3.2 will probably have other expenses over and above the 2.6. Tyres may be a little more expensive, for example. I find good quality tyres from the big names are about 100 quid a corner or thereabouts (235/45/17).

The only thing I didn't have on the MV6 spec. that I particularly wanted was cruise control and fortunately adding that was only a matter of changing the indicator stalk for one with the requisite extra buttons and getting the feature enabled using a Tech2. I find it's easy to let your speed wander (usually upwards ::) ) and cruise control helps keep that in check on motorway runs.

Sorry for the load of waffle but having been in your situation about 6 months ago most if this is fresh in my mind. I haven't once looked back, by the way :)

Kevin

Excellent advice there and I agree with it.

Just to put my view forward, I have a 1998 2.5 CDX and love the smoothness of the engine.  Power is also very good I find.  Now that I have changed the exhaust and the crank sensor, my economy has improved to around 22 - 25 around town and low 30s on a run.  The one thing I would advise is decide on the spec that you want and then go for this.  I say this as, although I have the CDX with Leather and Electric Pack (which makes it a virtual Elite), I now find myself wanting the Elite.  In fact I am actively looking for a late(ish) Elite oil cooler project.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Paulus

• Wheaton Aston
  • Are you lookin' at me??? Punk???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2007, 09:00:52 »

Common as muck [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
Growing old disgracefully...

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2007, 09:59:07 »

Common as muck but the 2.6 is so much better than the 3.0
[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2007, 10:34:43 »

Once you've had a 3.0l, the 2.5/2.6 seem so much slower...
Grumpy old man

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2007, 10:48:10 »

Once you've had a 3.0l, the 2.5/2.6 seem so much slower...

Haven't had the luxury of the 3.0/3.2.........yet!!!  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.