Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car buying  (Read 5599 times)

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Car buying
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2020, 20:37:08 »

Last year we needed to swap my wife's low mileage Juke, for something automatic with an electric handbrake.

Found a low mileage Astra 1.6, 11 reg in a Vauxhall dealer. Same price as the Juke was worth as a PX. (Privately probably worth a little more)

We had no money to mess about with. it should have been a straight swap.

Starting offer from the main Vauxhall dealer put us needing £2K.

It wasn't until my wife put her coat on and started leaving that they started taking it seriously.
Ended up paying for the 6 months tax, which was fine because a few weeks later we got 6 months tax back on the Juke.

Plus they then prepped it with 4 new tyres and new front discs and pads and an oil change and full MOT.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2020, 10:41:15 »

To actually answer the question, personally yes, I would. Without any hesitation as a second car and with some serious thought as an only car.
Ah, but would you buy one 3yrs old, 2nd hand that had been fast charged 600 times?

And I can assure you that the Korean manufacturers of the batteries do tell the car manufacturer that regular fast charging is detrimental to the batteries, even with the best battery management systems in place (currently Tesla's).  The car manufacturers chose to to state this in their marketing ;D
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 February 2020, 11:13:18 »

We have four electric car charging points at work, so out of curiosity a had a look at the cheapest available on ebay a while ago.
There was one within budget and it was only 5 miles from me. When I read the listing the reason it was so cheap became clear.
Someone had nicked the batteries from it !
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 February 2020, 23:48:15 »

To actually answer the question, personally yes, I would. Without any hesitation as a second car and with some serious thought as an only car.
Ah, but would you buy one 3yrs old, 2nd hand that had been fast charged 600 times?

Interesting question, and one I've been seriously pondering as the prospect of a new job (and a 3x weekly 240mile commute) beckons).

The question is somewhat moot when it comes to Tesla, mostly because 600 charges is about 120-160,000 miles and I wouldn't buy a 3yr old car with that kind of mileage. In something like my golf, a half day test drive (one rapid charge and 80-100miles driving and a chance to access obd2) would tell me all I needed to know about the state of the battery,

To answer a slightly different question: would I buy one that's 3yo with an unknown charge history, the answer is yes. And that's based on data I've seen submitted on the ev equivalent of fuely/honest John that seems to give a pretty clear picture of what battery degredation looks like in practice.

In my case I modelled out a 4yr usage of a used Tesla S 90D against various other cars and at 35,000 miles p.a. (my usage case), even if the battery and drive unit packed up after 4yrs 1 day, and I had to sell it as salvage, it would cost me no more than running (say) a 4yr old 3L diesel e-class/XF, and it has way more punch, and better technology than either.

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2020, 07:52:43 »

Interesting question, and one I've been seriously pondering as the prospect of a new job (and a 3x weekly 240mile commute) beckons).

Jesus Jimmy, are you trying to off yourself? There are easier ways! ;D If you're still living in the tin tent, I suggest dragging it closer to work :P

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 February 2020, 16:16:19 »

Jesus Jimmy, are you trying to off yourself? There are easier ways! ;D If you're still living in the tin tent, I suggest dragging it closer to work :P

To mis-quote Mr Tebbit - if you want a job, get on your bike and look for it, and keep looking 'til you find it.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 February 2020, 18:37:41 »

To mis-quote Mr Tebbit - if you want a job, get on your bike and look for it, and keep looking 'til you find it.  :y

Never did like 'Nasty Norm' and neither apparently did the IRA. ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 February 2020, 20:33:46 »

A wonderful man. When I was young and stoopit I detested him. Over the last 20 years or so, I have grown to admire him more and more.
He gave up the chance to be PM to retire from public life and care for his wife, which is the mark of a real caring selfless human.
I wish we had his like in front line politics these days.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 February 2020, 22:24:28 »

I can honestly say I know nothing about him other than (the correct version of) the quote above.

I would go and find out, but my brain seems to be operating a one in one out system for information at the moment and I'd hate to lose something really useful.  ::)  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 February 2020, 14:28:03 »

My first taxi job in my own car was to drive him to a speaking appointment in Epping. Thoroughly decent chap.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 February 2020, 18:29:03 »

My first taxi job in my own car was to drive him to a speaking appointment in Epping. Thoroughly decent chap.

Spitting Image had a lot to answer for . . . .  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTaERA9yoA

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04 February 2020, 19:05:33 »

A wonderful man. When I was young and stoopit I detested him. Over the last 20 years or so, I have grown to admire him more and more.
He gave up the chance to be PM to retire from public life and care for his wife, which is the mark of a real caring selfless human.
I wish we had his like in front line politics these days.

Agreed, he also flew Meteors in the RAF, then 707’s with BOAC. Sadly I never flew with him.  :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 February 2020, 07:56:13 »

Wait while 31/12/2034 and they'll be giving them away ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.