Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HS2  (Read 3393 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: HS2
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2020, 21:33:15 »

Regrettably  :(
Laying a rubber road.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2020, 09:20:05 »

The Chinese could build it in five years and cheaper.

Better would be to get the Spanish to build it in six years ( allowing for siesta) . Would be a great tool for Boris to use in EU free trade negotiations.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2020, 10:36:00 »

The Chinese could build it in five years and cheaper.

Better would be to get the Spanish to build it in six years ( allowing for siesta) . Would be a great tool for Boris to use in EU free trade negotiations.

The Chinese probably built Spain's HS railways as well!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2020, 11:05:22 »

So after yet another review Boris has given HS2 the green light....... Until the next review!  ::)

I think that they have spent so much time and money on it so far, that they should stop procrastinating and get on and build the bleddy thing!  :-X

And while they are at it, build it to Glasgow and Edinburgh as well!  :P
It'll never go (as a true high speed link) beyond Brum, they will run out of cash.  Not that it is a high speed link - its only a few mins faster than the other lines were when this idea was being dreamt up.  Network Rail have had to actively slow down the existing routes to make HS2 look viable.

Remember, as well, every full time worker needs to cough up £4k for this to build it and around £1000 per year per full time worker in fare subsidies, assuming that every train running every 3 mins, running 24x7 is absolutely full -  and that's assuming HS2's running costs are accurate, which they have a poor track record for. Its fair to assume that they may be able to get near to filling them at peak, but not at other times, so my estimate would be about £1500 per year per full time worker, or £600pa (£50/month) for every man, woman and child in the country, just to run it.  Assuming their costs are accurate, which lets face it, they are already 5 times over the original build costs.  So I wouldn't be surprised if that monthly running burden on the public goes the same way, and it being £250+ per month for every UK resident.

Anyone still think its a worthwhile plan?
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2020, 11:43:13 »

So after yet another review Boris has given HS2 the green light....... Until the next review!  ::)

I think that they have spent so much time and money on it so far, that they should stop procrastinating and get on and build the bleddy thing!  :-X

And while they are at it, build it to Glasgow and Edinburgh as well!  :P
It'll never go (as a true high speed link) beyond Brum, they will run out of cash.  Not that it is a high speed link - its only a few mins faster than the other lines were when this idea was being dreamt up.  Network Rail have had to actively slow down the existing routes to make HS2 look viable.

Remember, as well, every full time worker needs to cough up £4k for this to build it and around £1000 per year per full time worker in fare subsidies, assuming that every train running every 3 mins, running 24x7 is absolutely full -  and that's assuming HS2's running costs are accurate, which they have a poor track record for. Its fair to assume that they may be able to get near to filling them at peak, but not at other times, so my estimate would be about £1500 per year per full time worker, or £600pa (£50/month) for every man, woman and child in the country, just to run it.  Assuming their costs are accurate, which lets face it, they are already 5 times over the original build costs.  So I wouldn't be surprised if that monthly running burden on the public goes the same way, and it being £250+ per month for every UK resident.

Anyone still think its a worthwhile plan?

I didn't say it's a worthwhile plan and to be honest I've always sat on the fence about it.  I doubt that I'll ever use it....

But... they've spent so much on it so far I think they should stop talking about it and see it through, and do it properly FFS!  Of course it's unlikely that they will, as they will continually tinker to cut costs and we will end up with slower and less trains than planned... and it may even stop at Watford!  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2020, 13:49:11 »

I wonder if Boris reads OOF Genchat ? The media are reporting today that he is considering asking the Chinese to build it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2020, 14:03:45 »

I wonder if Boris reads OOF Genchat ? The media are reporting today that he is considering asking the Chinese to build it.

I jokingly left a comment on John Redwood's blog a few weeks ago suggesting we get the Chinese in when he was talking about HS2.

Didn't think for a second he'd take it seriously!  :o  :D

I hear that there are now vacancies for SpAds in Westminster following the Cummins cull!  Maybe I should apply, as whenever these characters emerge from the shadows, it seems that they are invariably young graduate types.  What experience of life can these young people possibly have to qualify them as advisers to Ministers?  :-\

It might explain a few things as to my mind a 'Special Adviser' to a government minister should at least have a few grey hairs!  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 February 2020, 10:50:23 »

But... they've spent so much on it so far I think they should stop talking about it and see it through, and do it properly FFS!  Of course it's unlikely that they will, as they will continually tinker to cut costs and we will end up with slower and less trains than planned... and it may even stop at Watford!  ;D

throwing good money after bad is always a daft thing to do. Considering the current guess for HS2 stands at £110 billion, and the return for every £ spent gets worse at every review, writing off what has already been spent makes much more sense than continuing.

It's not as if we have £110 billion spare.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 February 2020, 11:29:26 »

throwing good money after bad is always a daft thing to do. Considering the current guess for HS2 stands at £110 billion, and the return for every £ spent gets worse at every review, writing off what has already been spent makes much more sense than continuing.

It's not as if we have £110 billion spare.
Not to mention the £37b a year to run it (which will rise), of which if they fill every train (over 850 a day) with full fare passengers, they guess will give approx. £18b.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 February 2020, 11:37:55 »

It makes no sense whatsoever I agree. ::)

If while you were going through the planning process for an extension your builder trebled the price before he'd even got a spade out of the van, you'd tell him to go forth and multiply!  :)

But never mind it's political, common sense doesn't come near it, so we should just get on with it and do it well and your Great-great-great grandchildren can pay for it!  :-X   

While they're at it they can plan another branch to Belfast over Boris's bridge!  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2020, 11:54:04 »

I jokingly left a comment on John Redwood's blog a few weeks ago suggesting we get the Chinese in when he was talking about HS2.

Didn't think for a second he'd take it seriously!  :o  :D

I hear that there are now vacancies for SpAds in Westminster following the Cummins cull!  Maybe I should apply, as whenever these characters emerge from the shadows, it seems that they are invariably young graduate types.  What experience of life can these young people possibly have to qualify them as advisers to Ministers?  :-\

It might explain a few things as to my mind a 'Special Adviser' to a government minister should at least have a few grey hairs!  ::)

The Chinese have been asked to tender for this little job. Was on the news.

Ooops News just on.. Mr Grant shapos has denyed saying this, but is open to the possibility
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 12:04:17 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.