Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Malaysian Airlines Crash...  (Read 25822 times)

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
Re: Malaysian Airlines Crash...
« Reply #75 on: 12 March 2014, 20:52:32 »

the image they are saying is a plane under water looks more like a ship, poss ww2 or a ship sunk to create an artifical reef.
As for phones still ringing the batterys would have died by now.
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 12 March 2014, 23:54:43 »

What was that surreal film based on a Stephen King book about a missing plane in a delayed timezone being eaten by mechanical thingies?
Grumpy old man

paul_41

• Newport S Wales
    • Vauxhall Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 13 March 2014, 00:01:39 »

What was that surreal film based on a Stephen King book about a missing plane in a delayed timezone being eaten by mechanical thingies?

The Langoliers  ;) Loved the book  :y

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 13 March 2014, 00:53:21 »

Looks like they found it via Chinese Satellite more or less where it was expected to have been originally and consistent with the sighting by oil rig worker
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

05omegav6

« Reply #79 on: 13 March 2014, 01:18:45 »

Looks like they found it via Chinese Satellite more or less where it was expected to have been originally and consistent with the sighting by oil rig worker
Here's hoping :-\ The sooner they find it then the sooner they can explain what happened and the victims can be laid to rest...

cd 2.2

« Reply #80 on: 13 March 2014, 03:31:16 »

Not to sound like the doomsday profit or anything .... but ... It's looking more and more like they are only ever going to find sunken wreckage of this plane!
There is apparently an oil rig worker claiming he "may" have seen a plane go down (I forget the link), and I have no idea how I even came across this either because that isn't what I searched for ...  http://patdollard.com/2014/03/missing-mh370-fishermen-found-life-raft-marked-boarding-near-port-dixon-malaysia/

You have to feel sorry for the poor families of these people  :( Will anyone ever know what happened? And when will they release the movie?

05omegav6

« Reply #81 on: 13 March 2014, 03:56:02 »

Liferafts typically have one entrance, with a rope ladder for ease of access. They are marked all round with the word 'Boarding' and an arrow to indicate the shortest distance to the ladder/entrance... that liferaft has most likely been washed off a ship, they're designed to inflate in contact with salt water/when a rip cord is pulled.

Aircraft liferafts have to be inflated manually, and for the most part are grey or yellow :y they also tend to be rectangular as they double up as escape slides. Extra liferafts are carried on some aircraft on certain ETOPS routes. These are about 8'x3'x10", and require 4+ blokes to move (they weigh nearly 300kgs). They are usually kept in ceiling stowages or in overhead lockers. The reality is that no incident would ever see them used, as times when they would be suitable never happen :-\

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 13 March 2014, 15:23:30 »

Oh dear  :(

Yes I know its the Mail  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2579758/U-S-air-travel-watchdog-warned-six-months-ago-Boeing-jets-similar-missing-flight-MH370-vulnerable-mid-air-break-up.html

Oh, that well-known authority on all things aviation, the Daily Fail.. I mustn't read it. No.. Oh, go on, then. ::)

American aviation chiefs warned six months ago that a kind of Boeing jet similar to the Malaysian Airlines plane that has gone missing was vulnerable to a mid-air break up.

"Similar?" ???, and if it had broken up at cruising altitude I doubt there would be any doubt about its' location by now. There would be bits of it littered all over the South China sea.

The  AD applied to other B777 models and not the B777-200ER, which is the model of the missing jet.

Move along, nothing to see here. ::)

.. and show me an aircraft type that doesn't have a list of ADs as long as your arm.

Analysts suggested that if the plane had lost pressure the pilots may have become disorientated and possible fly off course, leading to the confusion over its whereabouts.

.. or would they simply have noted the loss of cabin pressure, donned oxygen masks, declared an emergency, descended to a safe altitude and diverted to the nearest suitable airport?

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 13 March 2014, 15:28:32 »

Oh dear  :(

Yes I know its the Mail  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2579758/U-S-air-travel-watchdog-warned-six-months-ago-Boeing-jets-similar-missing-flight-MH370-vulnerable-mid-air-break-up.html

Oh, that well-known authority on all things aviation, the Daily Fail.. I mustn't read it. No.. Oh, go on, then. ::)

American aviation chiefs warned six months ago that a kind of Boeing jet similar to the Malaysian Airlines plane that has gone missing was vulnerable to a mid-air break up.

"Similar?" ???, and if it had broken up at cruising altitude I doubt there would be any doubt about its' location by now. There would be bits of it littered all over the South China sea.

The  AD applied to other B777 models and not the B777-200ER, which is the model of the missing jet.

Move along, nothing to see here. ::)

.. and show me an aircraft type that doesn't have a list of ADs as long as your arm.

Analysts suggested that if the plane had lost pressure the pilots may have become disorientated and possible fly off course, leading to the confusion over its whereabouts.

.. or would they simply have noted the loss of cabin pressure, donned oxygen masks, declared an emergency, descended to a safe altitude and diverted to the nearest suitable airport?
[/highlight]

Remember that 737 series 800 (Helios Airways  :-\) that had iirc a gradual failure of cabin pressurisation about 10 years back  :-\

Iirc, the last person alive on that one was a member of the cabin staff with a portable oxygen bottle.

« Last Edit: 13 March 2014, 15:30:18 by tigers_gonads »

05omegav6

« Reply #85 on: 13 March 2014, 15:29:50 »

That Airworthiness Directive doesn't apply to the aircraft in question, as confirmed by Boing (Boeing) ::)

But the mail won't bother with details that ruin a good conspiracy ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #86 on: 13 March 2014, 15:34:11 »

The Helios crash was caused by an engineer leaving the pressurisation system in Manual following a function test of the system.

Flight crew didn't check/notice and climbed to altitude without setting it to automatic, basically meaning that they climbed to 18000' with the cabin pressure relief valve locked open ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 13 March 2014, 15:35:03 »

Remember that 737 series 800 (Helios Airways  :-\) that had iirc a gradual failure of cabin pressurisation about 10 years back  :-\

Iirc, the last person alive on that one was a member of the cabin staff with a portable oxygen bottle.

The one where they ignored the alarms and just carried on as if everything was dandy until they passed out. I suppose that proved it can happen, but...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 13 March 2014, 15:37:47 »

The Helios crash was caused by an engineer leaving the pressurisation system in Manual following a function test of the system.

Flight crew didn't check/notice and climbed to altitude without setting it to automatic, basically meaning that they climbed to 18000' with the cabin pressure relief valve locked open ::)

Indeed... and in terms of noticing these things, I would imagine that there's a big difference between climbing to 18000 feet with no cabin pressurisation and slipping into a deep sleep to the backdrop of the alarm sounding, and climbing to 37000 feet with proper cabin pressurisation and then losing it rapidly. :o

05omegav6

« Reply #89 on: 13 March 2014, 15:53:58 »

Indeed Kevin...

I refer to my earlier link
Sudden decompression = explosive decompression which means debris, plus an immediate Mayday call :y

Doesn't have to be catastrophic, but usually is...

A case in point :y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_811
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.