Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Liver function tests  (Read 2948 times)

cem_devecioglu

Re: Liver function tests
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2014, 19:43:56 »

and one more point : a general habit of using many drugs antibiotics and some other kind of pills harm your liver more than you can guess..

I also must add genetical factors are also very effective..  some babies even born with liver cirrhosis..

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2014, 19:45:12 »

LFTs measure the markers in the blood which indicate the level of damage to the liver.  A popular misconception is that alcohol alone damages the liver.  In fact it is also the sugars in the alcohol which do as much as the alcolhol itself.  Consuming too much sugar causes, through the metabolic process, their conversion to triglycerides (not simply stgored as fat) and it is this plus other things which affect the liver.

Like all things your genes will indicate how well yuo metabolise the fats, sugars, etc.  So if the markers are good take heart int he fact that no damage has been done.  But keep an eye on it.  I was drinking a lot o beer and my LFTs were awful.  It turned out I my starting to get a fatty liver.  6 months in the stan without boze, keeping off the crap food and training hard in the gym and when I came back my liver was back to normal with a complete reversal of the damage (phew)

Hope this helps :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2014, 19:52:26 »

your liver wont show any sign of damage until the last stage.. and when it shows it will be too late for anything..

and as for liver tests based on some specific values measured from blood.. they are bloody useless.. my mother was under hospital care for the last 10 years and her values were perfectly!!! normal..

anyone who wants to bet how much drink will damage your liver will bet on his life so be aware.. :-\

Sorry that is absolute 'dangle berries' (and dangerous imho)

In nearly every single case of damage to the liver there are elevated levels of AST and ALTs in the blood.  They will not be present for every type of liver cancer, and any absence of elevated levels of these markers where cirrhosis is present suggests incompetent laboratory technicians rather than a false negative being common.

Until you are in the final stages of cirrhosis most liver damage is very reversible, the liver is one of the best orans for regenerating itself.  When yuo donate some of your liver to someone they take a quarter, because an entire liver will regenerate from it and the quarter taken will grow back.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2014, 20:12:01 »

your liver wont show any sign of damage until the last stage.. and when it shows it will be too late for anything..

and as for liver tests based on some specific values measured from blood.. they are bloody useless.. my mother was under hospital care for the last 10 years and her values were perfectly!!! normal..

anyone who wants to bet how much drink will damage your liver will bet on his life so be aware.. :-\

1. In nearly every single case of damage to the liver there are elevated levels of AST and ALTs in the blood.  They will not be present for every type of liver cancer, and any absence of elevated levels of these markers where cirrhosis is present suggests incompetent laboratory technicians rather than a false negative being common.

Until you are in the final stages of cirrhosis most liver damage is very reversible, the liver is one of the best orans for regenerating itself.  When yuo donate some of your liver to someone they take a quarter, because an entire liver will regenerate from it and the quarter taken will grow back.

your alt and ast can jump up from so many things so docs generally ignore it..  but at last stages of cirrhosis those values drop considerably..

although its claimed that liver damage is reversible, I have never seen one cirrhose patient coming back from "other side".. sorry..

and as for liver transplant.. they give you lots of immune system supressants .. so even a simple infection can send you to the "other side"..   so success rates are not that nice..   as a result keep healthy what you have.. now.. not later..

and the last thing which I forgot , keep your meals low in saturated fat  which means dont eat big portions of steaks.. ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2014, 20:15:56 »

and other critical factors :

smokers , continue to smoke (ME!!) so that your single artery feeding the liver will be narrowed or blocked so journey to the other side will be asap and inevitable..

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2014, 20:22:20 »

1. In nearly every single case of damage to the liver there are elevated levels of AST and ALTs in the blood.  They will not be present for every type of liver cancer, and any absence of elevated levels of these markers where cirrhosis is present suggests incompetent laboratory technicians rather than a false negative being common.

your alt and ast can jump up from so many things so docs generally ignore it..  but at last stages of cirrhosis those values drop considerably..

although its claimed that liver damage is reversible, I have never seen one cirrhose patient coming back from "other side".. sorry..

and as for liver transplant.. they give you lots of immune system supressants .. so even a simple infection can send you to the "other side"..   so success rates are not that nice..   as a result keep healthy what you have.. now.. not later..

and the last thing which I forgot , keep your meals low in saturated fat  which means dont eat big portions of steaks.. ;)

It is not only your liver that this affects, but also your heart and the risk of bowel cancer, especially if the meat is flame cooked as it will form ACE (Advanced glycation end) molecules, which research suggests can cause bowel cancer, type 2 diabetes and dementia. Plenty of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and some meat were humans natural diet when we were cavemen, so have stood the test of time in being good for us. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2014, 20:24:38 »

I have, plenty :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2014, 20:25:22 »

It is not only your liver that this affects, but also your heart and the risk of bowel cancer, especially if the meat is flame cooked as it will form ACE (Advanced glycation end) molecules, which research suggests can cause bowel cancer, type 2 diabetes and dementia. Plenty of vegetables, fruit, whole grains and some meat were humans natural diet when we were cavemen, so have stood the test of time in being good for us. :y :y :y

all agreed Rods :y :y :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #23 on: 22 April 2014, 20:33:58 »

for those who do believe humans are carnivores:

carnivor intestines are normally short/shorter than ours , because meat breaks up and infected very quickly in hot environment.. so it must be discarded quickly

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2014, 20:51:07 »

Well thats put me right off my supper of 2 fags , steak sarnie an a couple of bevvies !

I once saw a Gamma GT level of 18000, still didn't kill the person, tis a remarkable organ the liver :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 April 2014, 20:53:11 »

carnivor intestines are normally short/shorter than ours , because meat breaks up and infected very quickly in hot environment.. so it must be discarded quickly

Chimpanzees one of our closest relatives are meat eaters and eat up to 1 tonne a year. So this suggests that we, like them, are natural meat eaters, but with a main diet of fruit, vegetables and seeds. They hunt the most when fruit and vegetables are at their most scarce.

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2014, 21:17:12 »

Chimpanzees one of our closest relatives are meat eaters and eat up to 1 tonne a year. So this suggests that we, like them, are natural meat eaters, but with a main diet of fruit, vegetables and seeds. They hunt the most when fruit and vegetables are at their most scarce.

compulsory meat eaters when other food is not available .. for survival..  however, our anchestors eat meat only when they have the hunt.. I dont think its everyday.. every meal..

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 April 2014, 22:48:23 »

compulsory meat eaters when other food is not available .. for survival..  however, our anchestors eat meat only when they have the hunt.. I dont think its everyday.. every meal..

Nor do I where I eat a lot of fish and also dishes like cauliflower cheese, poached egg on toast, home made tomato and mushroom pizza, cream of tomato or cream of mushroom soup, although I do use a homemade chicken stock with this and normally just accompany it with plain wholemeal bread or a fish based or cheese sandwich.

A varied balanced diet to me is what is important. :y

My weakness with high fat foods is mature Cheddar cheese and I tend to eat more fish than is recommended due to pollution.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #28 on: 22 April 2014, 22:55:04 »

Nor do I where I eat a lot of fish and also dishes like cauliflower cheese, poached egg on toast, home made tomato and mushroom pizza, cream of tomato or cream of mushroom soup, although I do use a homemade chicken stock with this and normally just accompany it with plain wholemeal bread or a fish based or cheese sandwich.

A varied balanced diet to me is what is important. :y

My weakness with high fat foods is mature Cheddar cheese and I tend to eat more fish than is recommended due to pollution.

most oily cheese I'm afraid..  :-\

and high amounts of phosphor will be a burden on your kidneys to say the least.. (from the fish)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 April 2014, 22:56:14 »

Why am I not dead then?  6ft 10 stone 56 year old, who drinks far too much Whisky and has already survived Lung Cancer, ignored every health warning in relation to food all my life, and still here.............. :y :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.