Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Installed new headunit today...  (Read 8824 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Installed new headunit today...
« on: 08 August 2006, 17:27:52 »

I still did't like the Kenwood double din unit, so i have now replaced it with this Alpin CDA-9854R, and it looks sooooo much better:

It instantly looking much better and more in-keeping with the dash.

The display is very nice and looks smooth.. also discovered it has a display output as well so might buy the adaptor for that.

Its described as being steering wheel remote ready.... i bought the adaptor interface which extends from the Alpine interface to the vaux adaptors. But it has this white connector which won't connect to anything  :-/

Messing around with the settings to try and activate the steering wheel buttons to the headunit don't seam to work either.

Anyone else had experiance with the above headunit or similar Alpine setup?

Taxi_Driver

Re: Installed new headunit today...
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2006, 18:34:23 »

Looks good Tunnie  :)

You got the reverse prob to mine tho.....your surround is light grey compared to the din insert.
Mines dark grey surround with light grey stereo....after vx changed the stereo a while back  :(

I can see another mod for you to have a go at  ;)

Whip out the bottom left blank.....think you might find wiring there already (there is on mine, but no good to me) for an electric rear blind  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2006, 18:43:32 »

Think i popped it off a while ago... did't notice any wires my take a look in a min.

Still trying to get these Steering Wheel controls working, had a read though all the blurb... it seams it should work with factor fit steering wheel controls straight away no adaptors needed with this new range of headunits  :-/

The colours stand out in a bit in the photo, but it looks nice when in the car. It seams the display interfaces could be as much as £47 for the alpine interface boxes  :o

Just going back out to look for blind wiring & maybe get these steering wheel controls working....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2006, 18:55:18 »

Think i popped it off a while ago... did't notice any wires my take a look in a min.

Still trying to get these Steering Wheel controls working, had a read though all the blurb... it seams it should work with factor fit steering wheel controls straight away no adaptors needed with this new range of headunits  :-/

The colours stand out in a bit in the photo, but it looks nice when in the car. It seams the display interfaces could be as much as £47 for the alpine interface boxes  :o

Just going back out to look for blind wiring & maybe get these steering wheel controls working....

Carnt help with hifi prob soz.....

You may need to look carefully for the blind wiring....as the switch is just a push in one straight on the connector behind the blank....behind the connector you may see the wiring already connected to the socket.....mines also got the wiring for the remote boot release.....which is also as much use as a chocolate fire guard  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2006, 19:39:36 »

Being a estate you can use it to wack chavs that walk behind your car... beef up the gas struts. Someone walking up to nosey in your boot... WHAM boot flys up knocking them out cold!  ;D

Anywho check for blind wiring... i think i have it!  :D

Taking off the blank plate i can see the plastic holes same shade as the wood, beind that if i look closely i can see metal connectors!!!

Does that mean all i need is the blind? wack it in and connect it to the spare connection in the boot?? - If so i wonder if that scrappy still has that blind, i might be right in thinking the parcel shelf for it was same colour as mine  :D

Also managed to access the steering wheel controls, in theory it should be very good because the headunit has millions of controls you can just set a steering wheel button to do a specifc command.

But alas does not seam to work  >:( - I can select the Steering wheel controls and then source. You are then suposed to hold down the button on the steering wheel you want to use and watch the display change from FF to DE, but it does not change no matter what buttons i use  >:(

I bought the ALPINE-KWE-871E adaptor cable which is supposed to be for all Alpine Steering wheel ready units but the white connector (8 pin) is female, and the Vx loom is also a female connector.  >:( >:(

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2006, 21:26:02 »

I had an Alpine fitted to my Veccy.

The adaptor plugged straight in no probs. Are you sure you have the correct one?

The reason i'm asking is cos mines was specifically for a Vectra, not all Vauxhalls, i also had to state the year of the car too. Maybe you need the same for the Omega.

Unless Alpine have changed things and now only do a universal adapter.  :o
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2006, 22:21:37 »

i strongly suspect it maybe the wrong adaptor... but it says Omega compatible  >:(

having trouble finding the right adaptor

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2006, 22:51:19 »

It took me an eternity to get mine when i ordered it.

Had to come from Japan, apparently. Try speaking to Alpine UK and see what they have to say for themselves.
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2006, 07:16:21 »

Does that mean all i need is the blind? wack it in and connect it to the spare connection in the boot?? - If so i wonder if that scrappy still has that blind, i might be right in thinking the parcel shelf for it was same colour as mine  :D

Im not sure how much of the wiring is there, boot end....as mines an estate....but its a good sign the switch end is there  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2006, 09:04:33 »

If you have wiring for the blind, you will have a 3 pin connector just under parcel shelf on left. Most prefacelifts seem to have it, not sure about facelifts.
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2006, 09:15:19 »

The steering whel controls present them self as one wire to position 1 I think (black with a red stripe) on the ISO connector.... (bottom left when you look at it through the stereo cage)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2006, 10:42:57 »

The steering whel controls present them self as one wire to position 1 I think (black with a red stripe) on the ISO connector.... (bottom left when you look at it through the stereo cage)

I will pop out now and take another look, the interface adaptor (not sure if i need it) the spare connector has 3 wires blue organge and black.

As for the blind, yup i have the connector in the boot!  :)

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2006, 12:08:43 »

Good luck with that adaptor Tunnie!  

I have the blind socket too.  I like the idea of fiiting the blind, then writing rude things on it with a marker pen, such as "I think you may have given a false indication" or "I regret to inform you that you appear to be a moron".  It could be unfurled to reveal the message as appropriate.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2006, 13:39:53 »

Good to se that Alpine are maintaining there usual naff installation guides.

The remote connection, it looks to me like a 2 pin jack?

If so then its the outer screen to 0V and centre connection to pin 1.....what alpine adaptor interface do you have?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2006, 23:53:28 »

i have the Alpine KWE-871E

After contacting Alpine UK it appears I also need a KCE-870B - Main Interface which is £47 !  :o

It seams the spare white connector on the 817E goes to this box, then the box connects to the H/U.

This is what i have at the moment, but i think i need the £47 adaptor  :-/

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.