Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Both Radiator fan and Ac fan are not working Omega Estate 2.2 dti 2003  (Read 2063 times)

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Neither Radiator fan or Ac fan is coming on (the small fan in the relay box does come on tho) the car is overheating, touching the pins on the plug in the relay compartment shows both fans work on both speeds,  I  Have changed basically all the relays to new ones changed all 3 of the sensors (Bottom Radiator) And two in the engine next to the thermostat, (have removed the thermostat for now to allow it to heat up slower on short journeys) Have cheeked the water pump and coolant flow and levels All Ok!   running out of things to try... wanted to see if anyone Had any answers or solutions?   Many Thanks Guys

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Do the fans spin freely?

Regardless of the relays, the fans are switched by the thermoswitches in the radiator.

Removing the thermostat may well be preventing the coolant from ever getting hot enough to turn the fans on...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile

There used to be a guide to testing the fans/switches .. it came from t'other place .... not sure if its in the guides here .. I'll go searching ...

that was far too simple ...   https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=133825.0

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

There used to be a guide to testing the fans/switches .. it came from t'other place .... not sure if its in the guides here .. I'll go searching ...

that was far too simple ...   https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=133825.0
Been done reading between the lines :-\

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply’s Fellas   some more ideas to work through forgot to add that the water is at boiling point and the overheating light (red) comes on...   I’m sure it’s something electrical Will keep playing around with it      Any more ideas that I can try Fire Away       

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Coolant temp gauge is a separate sensor.

Fans are controlled by actual coolant temp, not the gauge, with an over ride from the engine ecu.

Engine ecu has its own coolant temp sensor.

Live data would confirm that your gauge sender is toast, especially if it's overheating without a thermostat.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

Start with the easy stuff, and make each system work:

Put the bloody thermostat back in! On modern engines it's important for how water flows through the engine.
A diesel runs cold, so much so that many haven't needed the fan for years, and the thing is seized.
Is it actually overheating - that means blowing water out of the expansion tank. Check  the reading from the ECUs sender, it's a different part from the gauge one.
Check the temperature into and out of the radiator, there should be a big difference.
Check the thermo switches for the fans(the AC one not working suggests a wiring fault. But you do need to check) and the associated wiring.
Is the system properly bled?
Have the coolant checked for combustion gasses, this is a big cause of engines pressurising very quickly. That means a head gasket, or worse, fault.

Some of this will require tools: a <£10 multi-meter is essential for the electrical faults; you might manage the ECU reading with a cheap OBD scantool; a cheap laser thermometer will do the temp checks and is also good for playing with the cat; combustion gas test is best farmed out.

Don't just swap parts unless you have proved they are faulty!

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

I have replaced this temp sensor (the one next to the thermostat) with a brand new one and have even tried the old one back in, Although the new one seemed like a cheap aftermarket copy when it turned up basically looked the same tho but Thinking I will aim to order a genuine now  (obviously and put the thermostat back in) and see if I get any change  Thanks Fingers crossed

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Have a multi meter and checked the voltages in and out of the relays and to the fan etc. I haven’t done the temp check tho as haven’t got a temp gun so will have a go at this also

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

There are TWO sensors.

Test BOTH of them.

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

I have changed the coolant sensor in the Bottom of the Rad and the one by the thermostat also the gauge one next to it or is there another one

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

“Check  the reading from the ECUs sender” Also how do you check this?

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Should also add have tried the AC on to see if the AC fan would come on that way but no joy so neither Fans coming on made me think it was electrical Have tried to trace what wiring I can see (hoping for a broken wire) but wiring looks all good... cars only on 80,000 or so and looks in excellent condition 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Ok, let's simplify this as dropping snippets won't help anyone...  ;)

The gauge tells you that the engine overheats. The fans don't spin.

You have changed:

Thermoswitch(es) on rad
Coolant temp ecu (Bosch plug)
Coolant temp gauge (spade terminal)
3 fan relays

You've removed the thermostat

Anything else that you have/haven't done?

Does the aircon work? That has an over ride effect on all fans.

Do the fans actually spin by hand?

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Appreciate the replies:) so Yes changed all three of these,  the fans do spin very freely and smooth by hand and spin of an external power and by touching the relay together (with its housing cover taken off) Have replaced about 4 or 5 relays  ‘any of the ones linked to the fan Have been changed for new ones). Have also got a brand new water pump although haven’t fitted that as the water flow through the system is running flowing well and have topped up with new coolant as water was lost in changing the Rad sensor

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Air-con does work But it’s not ice cold but it’s coolish (A symbol with arrows around it) shows up so definitely is on Just not I’ve cold no doubt needs re gassing What I will get done if can get this resolved

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Replace the thermostat and water pump and confirm that the engine is actually overheating.

Ensure no airlocks, so put the climate control on HI (both sides) with the cabin fan turned down.

Run upto temp cap off until the fans kick in. Check level, refit cap and repeat.

Any airlocks will cause issues.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Air-con does work But it’s not ice cold but it’s coolish (A symbol with arrows around it) shows up so definitely is on Just not I’ve cold no doubt needs re gassing What I will get done if can get this resolved
Read the owners manual to learn how to use the climate control.

That button is for air recirculation mode, not airconditioning :-X

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Okay thanks have ordered a new Genuine coolant temp ecu sensor, going to grab a new thermostat also then try your De-Air lock technique and go from there, changing the water pump is a bit of a job but if no joy I will then try that and re-try the airlock test Thanks Mate

Seanscrap

• Hertfordshire
    • Omega Estate 2.2DTI
    • View Profile

Haha have to bare with me and the controls New to the Omega only had it for a few months now ( Omega Estate 2.2dti manual burgundy)   
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.