Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: It's only a small hole........  (Read 4886 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: It's only a small hole........
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2020, 12:46:48 »

The Omega does fair quite well, but with hindsight there was alot of work needed whilst it was new to minimise the work that's becoming apparent now... GM obviously felt that recycling the Omega A structure was sufficient to meet the industry standard rather than make it better.

And aside from the expense of servicing the suspension and being a bit on the thirsty side, they do still hold their own. To a point.  :y

It's much better for rot than its contemporaries. Think mk2 Granada, E28, SD1, Renault 30, whatever the late 70s mid-size Merc was, etc.

30 years ago, breakers were full of 10 year old versions of all  the above that were rotten everywhere. That we starting to have to patch up 20 year old Omegas is actually quite impressive.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2020, 13:20:29 »

Agreed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2020, 13:56:26 »

Well I,m very grateful to Nick for the  2 days work with the grinder and welder  :y ,and me then with the underseal pot my Omega might live a few more years....really dont see an good replacement given my usage . 

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2020, 15:05:19 »

You're not wrong. If VAG could work out how to build their 'superccar' ranges on a Golf platform, they would :D
VAG still haven't learnt the difference in wire quality as 20 years later their looms are still a joke with the insulation hardening causing wires to snap..... I can't recall any other cars i've had to repair the door looms etc on other than VAG's.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2020, 17:36:34 »

You're not wrong. If VAG could work out how to build their 'superccar' ranges on a Golf platform, they would :D
VAG still haven't learnt the difference in wire quality as 20 years later their looms are still a joke with the insulation hardening causing wires to snap..... I can't recall any other cars i've had to repair the door looms etc on other than VAG's.

i had to change the door loom on the Omega. BMW can't seem to make long lasting boot/tailgate looms. None of the German manufacturers believe in adding enough slack to actually remove the components it's attached to.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2020, 17:46:07 »

You've got an Astra H
so don't get too confident  :-X
there are repair kits available though  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 September 2020, 18:39:43 »

I found a small area of rust behind the header tank on mine a few days ago. I will cut it out and weld a small patch in there.
Im reasonably confident I dont have any serious issues anywhere else, but after seeing this thread Im going to check everything over again, just to be sure.

Sorted the rot under the header tank today. Underneath inspection can wait. Im too old for rolling about on the ground in the rain. ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 September 2020, 18:44:45 »

You've got an Astra H
so don't get too confident  :-X
there are repair kits available though  ;D

Incorrect, Mrs VXL V6 has an Astra.  ;D

I'm more worried about the CIM module! But then, 'it's not my car'

[Andy ducks before heavy object flies across the room]

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 September 2020, 19:25:06 »

Albs,Hope you dont find the horror story we did on prodding and poking ,but it needed doing .Maybe it could of been stopped 15 years ago with better maintenance...but thats another story

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 September 2020, 22:50:41 »

Im reasonably confident I wont as Ive had a pretty good poke around a year or so ago. Your pics were a tad shocking though, so I want to go over it again, carefully, just to make sure.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 24 September 2020, 07:56:01 »

Seems as Nick explained the most serious area is around the 4 bolts for the steering box mounting as several sections of metal all converge and once moisture gets under the original coating it cannot escape and just rots from inside .This means you cannot see the problem until a hole or worse appears.

Hope you catch yours earlier than mine ,if anything is lurking under there :y

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 24 September 2020, 19:06:55 »

Snap. Doing pretty much the same to mine.  I noticed a small area next to the reinforcing plate, started prodding away and ended up with taking the plate off the steering box out and 3 layers of steel removed.
Just have to put it all back in now.
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 September 2020, 19:08:45 »

Nice hammer set there nick 😎😎😎😎😎😎
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2020, 19:10:34 »

Snap. Doing pretty much the same to mine.  I noticed a small area next to the reinforcing plate, started prodding away and ended up with taking the plate off the steering box out and 3 layers of steel removed.

That was not going to happen.

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 September 2020, 19:31:10 »

That was not going to happen.

I did think about just smearing some seam sealer over it and putting it in for a test but it's been off the road for 2 1/2  years now and I can do it myself so a bit longer isn't going to matter. I know there is also a bit on the osf inner sill lip that needs doing (and the rear wheel arches) but other than that it doesn't seem too bad..
I'm sure it will be worth it eventually.
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.