Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: £230 for cambelt tensioners and crank seal ??  (Read 1285 times)

bestie26

• bradford , west yorkshire
    • View Profile
£230 for cambelt tensioners and crank seal ??
« on: 26 October 2010, 20:17:04 »

hi there new to site and recently purchased a 2001 omega 2.2 16v facelift ive had it to garage today for a drip of oil sitting on the plastic engine guard tray , diagnosis was the crank seal and that it would need a full cambelt kit as well as theres no history of when this was done  the car is on 125k with fsh ive been quoted £230 all in just wondering if this is a reasonable price or is there anyone in the leeds bradford airport area that can do it any cheaper cheers

Welung666

Re: £230 for cambelt tensioners and crank seal ??
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2010, 20:19:29 »

Not a bad price for a garage :y

I'd not be far behind that if I did it but then for you to come down you'd spend the difference on fuel.

bestie26

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2010, 20:24:24 »

cheers for that just wasnt sure if it was over priced or not . is the crank seal a common problem on the omega or am i just unlucky?

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2010, 20:24:42 »

hi there new to site and recently purchased a 2001 omega 2.2 16v facelift ive had it to garage today for a drip of oil sitting on the plastic engine guard tray , diagnosis was the crank seal and that it would need a full cambelt kit as well as theres no history of when this was done  the car is on 125k with fsh ive been quoted £230 all in just wondering if this is a reasonable price or is there anyone in the leeds bradford airport area that can do it any cheaper cheers

If you have FSH, isn't there any mention of when the belt & tensioners was last changed? If you are changing the cambelt kit it is well worth renewing the waterpump at the same time (unless you know when this was last done?) :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Hannah Judes Dad

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes North East Lincs
    • the misses round the bend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2010, 20:27:55 »

If you have FSH, isn't there any mention of when the belt & tensioners was last changed? If you are changing the cambelt kit it is well worth renewing the waterpump at the same time (unless you know when this was last done?) :y

Must type quicker  :( but as he said  :y
Don't wee on the electric fence

bestie26

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2010, 20:30:37 »

i was thinking about water pump aswell theres nothing in the service book about the cambelt but garage also said it would have to be changed either way as it would be contaminated with oil from crank seal leaking anyway

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2010, 20:32:10 »

i'd change the water pump too, if that lets go you can say bye bye to the engine

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2010, 20:34:11 »

cheers for that just wasnt sure if it was over priced or not . is the crank seal a common problem on the omega or am i just unlucky?

Don't take their word for it that the crank seal is leaking! Have a bloody good scout round the cam cover & feel for any oil leakage there from the cam gasket, it's amazing the path an oil leak will take before it drops somewhere else a mile from where it started ;D

Welung666

« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2010, 20:34:19 »

I agree, make sure it's either a Gates or ContiTech complete cam belt kit and waterpump.

Crank seals only tend to go when the engine breathers get so blocked up that the pressure goes to the next weakest point, the crank seal. You could do with checking the breather system and cleaning it at the same time. Surprised your cam cover seal hasn't failed if that is the case.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2010, 20:38:30 »

i was thinking about water pump aswell theres nothing in the service book about the cambelt but garage also said it would have to be changed either way as it would be contaminated with oil from crank seal leaking anyway
[/highlight]

A leaking crank seal wont contaminate the water pump :-? or have I read it wrong & you mean the belt will be contaminated which makes more sense? :D ;)

bestie26

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2010, 20:46:26 »

yeah, sorry i meant contaminate the belt not pump :) the breather system you mention is this the pipes that run to the top of engine case ? i did a bit of a service last week hoping that the oil drip was a badly sealed oil filter as its around that area when i changed the plugs the pots had oil in them is this pointing towards the cam cover gasket leaking

Omega_Dan

« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2010, 20:46:58 »

Elite pete was telling me there are some cheap kits avaliable which are not much good so at that price it could be a basic kit. :y

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2010, 20:48:58 »

YES :y Now have a bloody good look for traces of oil running down the engine block, it could very well be the source of your leak as I said earlier  ;):y!

Welung666

« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2010, 20:59:22 »

Ideally you need to remove the Aux belt (15mm on the tensioner but note the run of the belt), the cable tray (10mm nut and washer) and 2 x E10 bolts to get the cam belt cover off and look for signs of oil running down and the condition of the belt etc.. A photo would help us all decide the best option :y

bestie26

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2010, 21:01:16 »

right cheers a job for morning when i get home from work then.  as the engine slopes towards the bulkhead would the leak not exit at the rear of the engine block rather than the front? its totally dry underneath sump gaskets ect and cant physically feel any fresh oil from anywhere its just collecting on the plastic tray under the front pulley at the bottom of engine, also if id read right the cause of the pots having oil in is the breather system being blocked so is the 1st port of call? cheers or your help
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.