Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Occasional chirrup from reversing sensor when not in reverse gear  (Read 2740 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

2007 petrol Vectra manual 1.8 estate

I have fitted all my Vauxhalls with £10 reversing sensor kits, powering them from reversing light leads in RH wings. It works fine in my 2008 Vectra saloon, which has CANbuss wiring.
The Vectra estate reversing lights are in the tailgate, so I took the power from the rear fuse box, depicted above; they work well. However, when not in reverse gear they chirrup occasionally and the lights flash. The reversing lights do not flash. I have checked the earthing of the sensor controller, it is to the earth connector on the rear panel.
I blame the CANbuss system, yet all is well on the 2008 saloon. Please advise.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

I'd start with double checking you have wired to the reversing lights correctly.  Obviously you need to be the bulb side of the REC.  Also, if the REC supports offline bulb monitoring on the reversing lights (no idea on Vectra, hateful things that they are), you may need to get your reversing sensor feed from somewhere else.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Oh, and I know its trendy to blame CAN for everything, but that is simply due to people not grasping it. CAN is irrelevant to this.
Grumpy old man

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile

Are you sure it is not just the bulb monitoring sending a pulse to make sure the bulb is functioning correctly?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

Thank you both. I did not appreciate bulb checking imvolved occasional pulses, this seems exactly like that. On the 2008 saloon. sensing before the RH bulb, I would expect 6 volts; sensing before both bulbs I would expect 12 volts. Now I understand my problem.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Thank you both. I did not appreciate bulb checking imvolved occasional pulses, this seems exactly like that. On the 2008 saloon. sensing before the RH bulb, I would expect 6 volts; sensing before both bulbs I would expect 12 volts. Now I understand my problem.
The estate has the facility to automatically switch light sources between the wing and tailgate should a brake light fail. The hatch doesn't aiui due to being a different arrangement  ;)

It's in the manual iirc ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

The estate has the facility to automatically switch light sources between the wing and tailgate should a brake light fail. The hatch doesn't aiui due to being a different arrangement  ;)

It's in the manual iirc ;)
Vx or Haynes?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

VX

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Check for Illegal Imagrant Woman who has locked Herself in the Boot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

Check for Illegal Imagrant Woman who has locked Herself in the Boot.

Or maybe Terry locked Mrs Paget in the boot!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

If you don't want to change how it's wired into the car, you coul add a 12v time delay relay, set it to 1 second, given it's a short pulse of power, this should trigger the relay but not power it for enough time to power up the sensors.

It will obviously give you an extra 1s delay when putting the car in reverse, but I'd guess that's tolerable.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

It will obviously give you an extra 1s delay when putting the car in reverse, but I'd guess that's tolerable.
Oh I don't know - my reversing camera on the Pussy has about a 1-2s delay when selecting reverse if the infotainment is still booting, and I find it really annoying.  "Time waits for no man"
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

Oh I don't know - my reversing camera on the Pussy has about a 1-2s delay when selecting reverse if the infotainment is still booting, and I find it really annoying.  "Time waits for no man"

Likewise my ML

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Likewise my ML
Likewise mine.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Is that only shortly after starting the car, or all the time?  Mine is instant once the Infotainment has booted, but has the delay if it hasn't.  Which is annoying, as the exact length of time it takes the Infotainment to boot is how long it takes me to reverse off the drive - which often needs 2 reversing attempts due to lover boy's parking opposite...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.