Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: There are some clever buggers about  (Read 4419 times)

STEMO

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: There are some clever buggers about
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2020, 21:07:14 »

Yep.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2020, 22:41:57 »

The Omega V8 had an LCD panel dash and heads-up display, shame it never reached production. I was impressed with the LCD panel Car SOS fitted in the Lotus.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2020, 23:32:10 »

Although undoubtedly cleverly done,I'm not so sure that what he's gained was worth the effort/expense of gaining it.However each to their own and all that.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2020, 08:01:43 »

Shockingly easy when you know how, to add it to our cars with Touch Pro, its just one extra cable and changing some config

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2020, 15:41:53 »

The Omega V8 display is probably a bastardised Corvette one ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2020, 18:01:19 »

I still haven't forgiven Vauxhall for not using the Senator digital dash in the Omega. Still miss it after all these years.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2020, 18:31:52 »

I still haven't forgiven Vauxhall for not using the Senator digital dash in the Omega. Still miss it after all these years.
I was never a fan. When I first got my Astra GTE, I thought it was really cool, innit?  But the novelty wore off for me, and I longed for traditional dials.

Full on LCD screens make sense, as the best of both worlds.  I'm surprised they aren't commonplace now.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2020, 19:09:45 »

My Austin 1100 was well good with its horizontal red line gauges  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2020, 19:25:48 »

Was it the Montego or Maestro that was the first talking car?  :-\  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2020, 19:35:02 »

Was it the Montego or Maestro that was the first talking car?  :-\  ;D
They only knew one sentence..."I'm broke.....again" ;D

The driver used to reply....."So am I, with you yer c**t"

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 June 2020, 19:50:41 »

Montenogo and Maestro Sir Tig
Differant english voice in both
The maestro was a bit husky
The Montenogo was quite prim
I had an early MG EFi Montenogo

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 June 2020, 21:35:59 »

I was never a fan. When I first got my Astra GTE, I thought it was really cool, innit?  But the novelty wore off for me, and I longed for traditional dials.

Full on LCD screens make sense, as the best of both worlds.  I'm surprised they aren't commonplace now.

I dont see how the novelty could wear off tbh. A very quick glance tells you your travelling at xxx mph. Traditional layout requires looking down for seconds to try and glean that info. Which means if you were travelling at xxx mph, they will probably be finding bits of you up nearby trees for weeks to come.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 17 June 2020, 21:48:14 »

Most modern cars have a digital speedo if nowt else, I know both our astras have.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2020, 21:51:38 »

Most modern cars have a digital speedo if nowt else, I know both our astras have.
I think there's a setting on mine for it, and it's about the same age as your lad :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 June 2020, 22:37:03 »

I was a fan of the digital dash in the Senator and the little button you could press to switch the display to metric for continental driving and back to imperial once on home soil.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2020, 09:32:58 »

Its all about ASIL init.

The cluster has to meet a certain safety rating (some warning lights and speed is considered a safety item so has to be designed accordingly, hence why certain lamps are still separate on LCD clusters), this today makes it expensive when compared to dials (but road mapped chipsets may well change this).

You will note the Insignia display is actually a centre LCD with dials......makes it much easier from an ASIL perspective.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2020, 10:55:23 »

I dont see how the novelty could wear off tbh. A very quick glance tells you your travelling at xxx mph. Traditional layout requires looking down for seconds to try and glean that info. Which means if you were travelling at xxx mph, they will probably be finding bits of you up nearby trees for weeks to come.  :)
The speedo on the Astra didn't update fast enough and was laggy, so was always a bit crap (as the only time I ever drove at a constant speed was when it was bouncing on the limiter in 5th - even to this day, it remains the only car I have ever owned that could do that).

Other issues were the other gauges like fuel was 6 or 8 segments, which I found wasn't granular enough to judge if I needed fuel before a medium length journey.

For me, the novelty wore off within a week or 2, to the point it started to annoy me.  Even the last Senator I drove, the dash I found frustrating.  A great idea, just not implemented as well as it could have been - though we have to remember this was 1980s tech.

It was one thing that worried me when I decided to go for an XJ, though I'm pleased to say its responsive, clear and doesn't piss me off, although the software needs improving (things like the user option to flick it to KPH leaves the speedo in MPH, but brings up an insert with a digital KPH). That and the fact its been known to reboot whilst driving (JLRs usual low battery glitches), and it takes about 5s for it to bring all the dials back - that was properly annoying before I changed the battery ;D.

The S-Class digital display is pretty good as well, though lacks a bit of clarity due to the scatter gun approach MB used to get as much info as possible across the the drivers half of the screen.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2020, 11:24:31 »

Arguably, if you're driving properly at speed, then you should be driving to the road rather than the speedo. This remains true whether is a fast, twisty B road or and empty autobahn. 99% of your focus should be ahead of you.  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2020, 11:56:29 »

Arguably, if you're driving properly at speed, then you should be driving to the road rather than the speedo. This remains true whether is a fast, twisty B road or and empty autobahn. 99% of your focus should be ahead of you.  ;)
Being a reformed character, I now drive purely by looking at the speedo. As exceeding the speed limit kills, ergo, staring at the speedo to ensure not exceeding a limit means I can't kill.

Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2020, 12:36:37 »

Being a reformed character, I now drive purely by looking at the speedo. As exceeding the speed limit kills, ergo, staring at the speedo to ensure not exceeding a limit means I can't kill.

It's good to hear that you are more concerned about the safety elements of speeding and less concerned about the big fine and points that follow such an indiscretion.  :y
Not everybody can change their attitude to safer driving as quickly as you so well done for that.  :y ::) ;)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2020, 12:42:30 »

I try....I really do. But the pressure release valve in my head keeps blowing. It's a medical condition, you know.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2020, 13:45:08 »

The thing that p's me off with Merc is that they insist you have a digital kph display somewhere. On my R Class, this was where Europe & the States could have a continual outside temp display but I had to scroll through umpteen pages to get to it. You used to be able to get someone with STAR to make it such that you could toggle between outside temp & kph, but then Merc made it so you couldn't. The ML is better.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2020, 13:56:43 »

It's good to hear that you are more concerned about the safety elements of speeding and less concerned about the big fine and points that follow such an indiscretion.  :y
Not everybody can change their attitude to safer driving as quickly as you so well done for that.  :y ::) ;)
Looking up to you, as I do, once I learnt you had applied to go on such a course, it didn't take me long to also get booked on one.  So thank you YZ250, its all down to you  ::)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2020, 14:04:45 »

Looking up to you, as I do, once I learnt you had applied to go on such a course, it didn't take me long to also get booked on one.  So thank you YZ250, its all down to you  ::)
Just the one? I've been invited to attend two of them .....  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2020, 14:11:14 »

Thats just greedy, Mr B
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2020, 14:13:07 »

Anyone who hasn't done one is just a very poor driver.......in my opinion, of course  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 June 2020, 14:13:32 »

I think I have only been invited to one, but have done enough commercial training to drive appropriately.

By appropriately, I mean not getting caught :P

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2020, 15:58:10 »

I wasn't offered a course back in the day when I got done, was more concerned with keeping my license as at the time there was talk of a ban :o, as it was a first offence I got away with 3 points and 60 squid :'(
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2020, 16:09:50 »

I wasn't offered a course back in the day when I got done, was more concerned with keeping my license as at the time there was talk of a ban :o, as it was a first offence I got away with 3 points and 60 squid :'(

Yes, same here.... Fortunately I managed to get the average speed down quite considerably with some very sedate driving on a stretch of road where it would not have been possible / safe to pull me over!

STEMO

« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2020, 16:47:07 »

How many of us got pulled over in the days when a stern talking to was enough? I know I did. On one occasion, after a few bevvies, I was told to go straight home and that the bobby would be checking the car was there as he went about his business.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2020, 17:07:32 »

How many of us got pulled over in the days when a stern talking to was enough? I know I did. On one occasion, after a few bevvies, I was told to go straight home and that the bobby would be checking the car was there as he went about his business.
I used to reckon on at least one tug a week back in the day.  Trouble is, every one of them resulted in having to show docs at the cop shop :(
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2020, 21:18:37 »

I used to reckon on at least one tug a week back in the day.  Trouble is, every one of them resulted in having to show docs at the cop shop :(

I used to make an almost weekly trip from home to Rosyth in my MKIII Cortina ..... I'd get stopped at least once each way  :-X 3 times one way was the record.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2020, 22:11:43 »

I used to make an almost weekly trip from home to Rosyth in my MKIII Cortina ..... I'd get stopped at least once each way  :-X 3 times one way was the record.

I was always getting pulled over in my MKIII Cortina. I blamed it on my spotlights, twangy aerial and wider wheels but my Dad said that it wasn't normal to be stopped so often so it must be my driving habits that caught their attention.
One day he called out " I'm just going down the Chip Shop, I'll take your car as you're blocking me in on the driveway". The Chip Shop is only a quarter of a mile away but he was gone for quite a while. When he returned my Mum asked what had taken him so long, and he replied that he'd been pulled over.  ;D  I said "See, I told you it was the car and not my driving".  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 June 2020, 22:14:22 »

I was always getting pulled over in my MKIII Cortina. I blamed it on my spotlights, twangy aerial and wider wheels but my Dad said that it wasn't normal to be stopped so often so it must be my driving habits that caught their attention.
One day he called out " I'm just going down the Chip Shop, I'll take your car as you're blocking me in on the driveway". The Chip Shop is only a quarter of a mile away but he was gone for quite a while. When he returned my Mum asked what had taken him so long, and he replied that he'd been pulled over.  ;D  I said "See, I told you it was the car and not my driving".  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19 June 2020, 10:08:48 »

Sounds like you had a classy Cortina!  :y

Was the aerial one of those big fiberglass affairs that clipped back to the gutter? or maybe a big magmount CB aerial?  ;D

Furry dice? Sunshade strip with names? Kevin & Sharon?  :P  :D  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19 June 2020, 10:29:14 »

Poor fella was just a victim of mistaken identity. PC Plod thought it was the reprobate son driving, and up to no good. Obviously.
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2020, 11:11:47 »

Sounds like you had a classy Cortina!  :y

Was the aerial one of those big fiberglass affairs that clipped back to the gutter? or maybe a big magmount CB aerial?  ;D

Furry dice? Sunshade strip with names? Kevin & Sharon?  :P  :D  :)

It was chavtastic. Wolfrace alloys, Cibie Super Oscars (2 up, 2 down rally style), twangy DV27 CB aerial, rear window louvre (yeh, that's embarrassing now I think of it) and rear for lights that were switchable for extra brake lights. Oh, and 3 sets of musical airhorns.  ;D  The engine was modified 2.0 with a custom made zorst.  :y It was very tidy but thinking back I was cruel to it the way I drove it.  :)
And yes TB, It may surprise you, being the quiet person that i am, I did drive in a way that drew attention to myself.  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.