Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Jobs for the weekend  (Read 2421 times)

Stargazer57N

Jobs for the weekend
« on: 25 April 2016, 23:40:33 »

Oh well a few jobbies for the weekend, replace rear wiper motor, fit window/mirror switch, replace all the vacuum pipe/hoses as the EML came on again today due to vac leak. Replace the rear pads as the offside went down to the metal tonight. So much for the service the salesman said he gave it 800 miles ago. Moral of the story - never trust a car salesman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs for the weekend
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2016, 13:22:30 »

Aye. Im one of them people who only trust work I do myself. But it's all coming together, that's the main thing. Keep it up  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2016, 17:43:33 »

I should really contemplate changing the duff door lock motor...   ...but CBA ;D
Grumpy old man

Stargazer57N

« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2016, 22:49:32 »

The mirror/ window switch arrived today so before tea I thought to myself, I might as well change that first it'll only take two minutes. Ha yea right, 2 hours later final sat down for tea/supper. Thinking that the switch will just pop out of the door card was my first mistake. it came up so far but then got stuck and started to pull the bottom half of the switch apart. The switch I wanted to keep incase the replacment was duff.
Door card off it is then. What a James Hunt that is to get off the upper clip not wanting to tug a pull at it to hard as experience has taught me that that will leave to nasty plastic snapping sounds. got there in the end though managed to un clip it with the aid of a Snap-on pry bar. 
All that was stopping the switch was one of the retaining clips had bent locking it fast into the door card. All done now though,tomorrow night the rear brake pads and fuel filter.
Pleeeeaaaseeee don't snow again

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2016, 23:48:39 »

carrreful with the fuel filter. The little clips are prone to breaking. Ideally you' d practice on another spare one, cock it up, learn by your mistakes, then do it for real on your own car. You need to squeeze the tabs inward, wih pliers/similar, then pull the male fitting out of the female.

Even when you do it by the book, it often doesnt come. Patience is key, unless you have a spare one kicking around, to fit if it all goes Pete Tong. Easy once you've done it.  :)

Possibly be teaching you to suck eggs, but make sure that brake reservoir cap is off before you touch the brakes... or you'll invert seals in the master cylinder, and be in a very much worse mood than you are tonight. Applies same to all cars, of course, as I say, apologies if i'm telling you something you already know  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2016, 23:52:53 »

Possibly be teaching you to suck eggs, but make sure that brake reservoir cap is off before you touch the brakes... or you'll invert seals in the master cylinder, and ....

Not sure of your thinking on that one  :-\

Stargazer57N

« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2016, 05:40:43 »

Cheers for the heads up on those filter clips, I go one step further than just taking the cap off the BF reservoir, I clamp the brake hose and open the bleed nipple before pushing the pistons back. Those eggs taste very sour when you flip seals within the ABS pump as a work mate of mine found out a while back.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2016, 09:12:41 »

Thanks Stargazer57N. Yeah, as I understood it you risk inverting seals in the master cylinder (or at least the brake system elsewhere, as above, the ABS pump) It's a closed system, ie: hydraulic. When you push the pistons back, in order to fit new (thicker) pads, you force the fluid back in the system which causes the aforementioned 'egg' and swearywords, too  :).

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2016, 09:23:22 »

Thanks Stargazer57N. Yeah, as I understood it you risk inverting seals in the master cylinder (or at least the brake system elsewhere, as above, the ABS pump) It's a closed system, ie: hydraulic. When you push the pistons back, in order to fit new (thicker) pads, you force the fluid back in the system which causes the aforementioned 'egg' and swearywords, too  :).

but having the cap on or off will make no difference ..... the cap isn't air/fluid tight otherwise you'd be trying to draw a vacuum in the reservoir as the pads wear. I managed quite well to spew fluid everywhere on my daughter's car the other week when I replaced the pads & in rushing didn't give the recently topped up reservoir a thought.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=135282.msg1735375#msg1735375

I'e never reversed seals anywear on anything  :-\

Stargazer57N

« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2016, 09:25:54 »

It doesn't always happen but it believe me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2016, 09:51:06 »

but having the cap on or off will make no difference ..... the cap isn't air/fluid tight otherwise you'd be trying to draw a vacuum in the reservoir as the pads wear. I managed quite well to spew fluid everywhere on my daughter's car the other week when I replaced the pads & in rushing didn't give the recently topped up reservoir a thought.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=135282.msg1735375#msg1735375

I'e never reversed seals anywear on anything  :-\

Nor have I, although I accept it's possible. Much of my work has been on old stuff, where there is much more chance of rounding or breaking the bleed nipple. I do try to remember to syringe some of the fluid out of the reservoir, because you are guaranteed to make a mess if you don't.

Leaving the cap on does slow down the fluid loss if you have to split any of the fittings.

Stargazer57N

« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2016, 12:12:26 »

The other good thing about letting the fluid escape via the bleed nipple is you then top up with fresh brake fluid plus it keeps the nipple free for the time when you need to bleed the brakes.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2016, 14:23:57 »

Agreed, releasing bleed nipple definitely good practice  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2016, 14:38:16 »

I should really contemplate changing the duff door lock motor...   ...but CBA ;D

That was on my list, about 18 months ago. Still the same  ::)  ;D

Stargazer57N

« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2016, 16:58:00 »

The other thing I have known happen when forcing fluid back though the system is air being pushed into the hydraulic  clutch pipes causing a problem with the clutch master and slave cylinders. Clutch would not bleed up so it was gear box off to fit new slave. A rounded or broken bleed nipple is a lot less hassle you know.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.