Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: cd auto changer  (Read 7122 times)

robbiesarge

• View Profile
cd auto changer
« on: 06 January 2007, 21:30:32 »

hi all
i have recently purchased a 1999 omega gls and it has a standard phillips car 400 radio cassette in it, can i add a auto changer to this head unit and if so will the wiring be in the car somewhere,

cheers for any help
robbie

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: cd auto changer
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2007, 21:54:54 »

Hi,

Does the head unit have "cd changer control" or something similar written on it?  I think that only the next model up, the CCR600, had the control.

I have such a model and the CD changer.  I found the changer to be rubbish TBH and soon got rid of it for a replacement (a pioneer) that worked!

As to whether the loom for the changer will be in the car already, I am not sure.  However, you may be lucky as Vauxhall seem to include various connectors etc. on the loom.  For example, only the Elite was fitted with the electronic rear blind as standard.  If you get the switch and the blind, you can just plug them in as the loom connections are there.  If they did this with the blind, I cannot see why they would not with the CD loom.

Hope this helps.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

robbiesarge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2007, 22:05:23 »

yes it does have a cd chager control on the panel.

do you know where the looms ill be in the car as i dont havea clue or do you know f there is a plug that these changers just plug into as i know my mate had one in his vectra

robbie

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2007, 22:08:24 »

OK

If there is Changer Control on the head unit this is a large bonus!!

To see if you have a loom, open the boot and undo the first aid compartment which on the right hand side.  Look in the gap that will be reveled and see if there is a smallish black plug there.  If so, this is the plug that goes to the CD changer.

I will try and get a photo of mine tomorrow so that you know what you are looking for!

robbiesarge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2007, 22:15:49 »

cheers for that,
i have had a quick look in the dark but dont seem to see anything but will have a better look tomorrow
but a pic would be a great help

cheers robbie

stuart30

« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2007, 22:24:11 »

OK

If there is Changer Control on the head unit this is a large bonus!!

To see if you have a loom, open the boot and undo the first aid compartment which on the right hand side.  Look in the gap that will be reveled and see if there is a smallish black plug there.  If so, this is the plug that goes to the CD changer.

I will try and get a photo of mine tomorrow so that you know what you are looking for!

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here robbie.......

x25xe do you know if this would be the same for the estate....first aid flap is on left and larger flap (tool holder i guess) is on right side.

Car is a 2.5 GLS...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2007, 17:32:38 »

The CAR400 cannot handle a CD Changer!

CCR600 can, and would be easiest...   ...CCR800 also, better sound, but hassle to fit due to amps. CCRT7000 would, but again a bit fiddly due to display swap...
Grumpy old man

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2007, 17:49:23 »

OK, as promised, here are the pictures of my OE CD Changer.  The car is a 1998 Omega CDX which had the changer as standard.....

Firstly, here it is installed (I have not taken the original changer out of the car after upgrading to Pioneer Kit):

Next up is the connection at the CD changer - this is the plug that you are looking for in the car:

This is the routing of the loom for the CD changer over the rear offside wheel arch:

You will also need a mounting bracket - this is how mine is fitted:

Finally, for completeness I have pictured the wiring diagram on the back of my changer:

I hope that these pictures help.

However, judging on the post from The Boy, it would seem, as I suspected, that a CCR400 will not control a changer so I doubt if the loom will be present............  In any case, from my experience, you would be better off spending £200 or so and upgrading as I did.  Car Audio Security do bundles of Head Units and CD Changers.  This is how I got mine and it works a treat.  Much better than the standard kit.

Stuart30 - I am afraid that I have never seen an install in an estate.  However, as easy access to the changer would be required, I would suspect that it would be much the same as you have described i.e. behind the First Aid Flap.

I hope that this helps.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2007, 17:53:40 »

For single DIN units...

CAR range (eg CAR300/400) - CAssette/Radio
CCR range (ie CCR600/800) - cd Changer/Cassette/Radio
CDR range (ie CDR500) - CD/Radio
CCRT range (ie CCRT7000) - cd Changer/Cassette/Radio/Telephone
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2007, 22:09:57 »

I am with x25xe on this.

The standard headunits are really not that good, and I would look at upgrading to a decent aftermarket one. The difference in sound quality is very very noticable.

You don't have to go down the road of new headunit and changer. A cd/mp3 headunit is an option. You can find some real bargains on ebay.
As a general rule, go for Pioneer or Alpine and you will be fine.

If unsure, jst ask. :)
The Administrator.

stuart30

« Reply #10 on: 07 January 2007, 22:57:33 »

[quote author=x25xe
Stuart30 - I am afraid that I have never seen an install in an estate.  However, as easy access to the changer would be required, I would suspect that it would be much the same as you have described i.e. behind the First Aid Flap.[/quote]

Just had a poke about in the Estate couldnt find any signs of leads inside either flap......was hoping to basicly take the head unit and changer from the Elite and stick it straight into the estate,sound quality for me is fine so no point urgrading to decent stuff,ive lost all hearing in right ear so its all mono anyway. ;D
« Last Edit: 07 January 2007, 22:58:14 by stuart30 »

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2007, 11:17:39 »

I am with x25xe on this.

The standard headunits are really not that good, and I would look at upgrading to a decent aftermarket one. The difference in sound quality is very very noticable.

You don't have to go down the road of new headunit and changer. A cd/mp3 headunit is an option. You can find some real bargains on ebay.
As a general rule, go for Pioneer or Alpine and you will be fine.

If unsure, jst ask. :)

And I am enjoying better sound quality because of your earlier, spot on, advice!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2007, 11:56:23 »

On the estate the cd changer is mounted just behind the drivers side rear wheel and has an extra cover to go over it.....wiring is in the same place as the saloon.

stuart30

« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2007, 18:19:08 »

On the estate the cd changer is mounted just behind the drivers side rear wheel and has an extra cover to go over it.....wiring is in the same place as the saloon.

I take it theres only one cubby hole on the drivers side...had a good feel about in there and couldnt find any wires,would there be much work involved transfering the headunit and cables into the estate so the auto changer was in the rear as it is in the saloon.

The current Kenwood auto changer is in the glove box and jumps and skips beyond belief. :(

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 January 2007, 08:13:41 »

It's a lot of work for very little return.  Why not get a nice, new MP3 headunit?

Is the Kenwood changer mounted securely in the glovebox?  
Has it got suspension adjustment for angle of mounting?  

Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

stuart30

« Reply #15 on: 09 January 2007, 18:23:51 »

It's a lot of work for very little return.  Why not get a nice, new MP3 headunit?

If its a lot of work then that puts me off straight away.. :-[

No the kenwood auto changer looks like its just been slid in then foam inserts slid in above and below as an after thought....and its been fitted by a garage  ::)

Do any of the omega"s (slighty newer maybe) use a standard single disk cd player.....really cant justify a shiny new cd player as its not used that much and the twins are keeping me skint,and there not even born yet lol.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 January 2007, 21:04:59 »

No the kenwood auto changer looks like its just been slid in then foam inserts slid in above and below as an after thought....and its been fitted by a garage  ::)

Do any of the omega"s (slighty newer maybe) use a standard single disk cd player.....really cant justify a shiny new cd player as its not used that much and the twins are keeping me skint,and there not even born yet lol.

I think there is a headunit for the pre-facelifts that has a single CD input, it was fitted in the Reflection special edition. Not sure on its model number though  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2007, 22:06:36 »

I think there is a headunit for the pre-facelifts that has a single CD input, it was fitted in the Reflection special edition. Not sure on its model number though  :-/
CDR500. Flippin expensive on ebay - they go for silly money...
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 January 2007, 22:22:42 »

Indeed, the CDR500 is ridiculously overpriced for what it is!

You can buy a normal CD player cheaply enough on ebay (£30ish) or a reasonable MP3 player for as little as £60.

A CDR500 is around £60-£70... ::)

The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 January 2007, 22:57:44 »

Indeed, the CDR500 is ridiculously overpriced for what it is!

You can buy a normal CD player cheaply enough on ebay (£30ish) or a reasonable MP3 player for as little as £60.

A CDR500 is around £60-£70... ::)

Guessing because people want the MID to work, agreed cheapo CD player is the way to go. MP3 ones are dirt cheap now, my Alpine reads mp3's, you can have around 250 tracks on 1 cd (depending on file sizes)

I generally get at least 10 cd's worth on 1 mp3 cd, who needs cd changers!?  :y

stuart30

« Reply #20 on: 10 January 2007, 08:27:22 »

Oh in that case i"ll go the route of a cheap mp3 head unit.....i assume some sort of adapter will be needed.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2007, 08:27:43 by stuart30 »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 January 2007, 10:02:26 »

Stuart. Here is the sort of thing you can get cheaply enough.

Finishes soon but worth a bid of up to £45 I would say.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pioneer-car-stereo_W0QQitemZ270076928346QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39762QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: Sold for £30...  :o for a Pioneer MP3 headunit, you couldn't go wrong at that price!
« Last Edit: 10 January 2007, 20:01:41 by admin »
The Administrator.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 January 2007, 16:44:37 »

Oh in that case i"ll go the route of a cheap mp3 head unit.....i assume some sort of adapter will be needed.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread.

Loom adaptor is usually around a tenner, however some units don't need one. My alpine did'nt... only needed an extra adaptor for the steering wheel controls
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.