Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler ?????  (Read 4651 times)

OmegaGav

• Intermediate Member
  • Hemel Hempstead
  • For god sake doooo something !!!!!
    • 08' Vectra 3.0 V6 Cdti
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Cooler ?????
« Reply #45 on: 22 September 2012, 12:23:38 »

just been to stealers and got seals for banjo bolts and coolant bridge, still no sure the oil is coming from cam cover gaskets as plugells are bone dry and no oil running down sides of engine,no smoke in engine bay, all oil is in the v as the boy says looks like rear banjo bolt is leaking oil at bottom and just below head of the bolt, going to replace seals and check pipe on coolant bridge then put bak together and see what happens  ???

Yes it's my M&S goulash cannon. Ready Aim Fire...!!!

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 September 2012, 14:29:53 »

I hope you've found both of your leaks, fingers crossed. Good to hear you found the parts today, its always next day around here!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #47 on: 22 September 2012, 15:58:07 »

just been to stealers and got seals for banjo bolts and coolant bridge, still no sure the oil is coming from cam cover gaskets as plugells are bone dry and no oil running down sides of engine,no smoke in engine bay, all oil is in the v as the boy says looks like rear banjo bolt is leaking oil at bottom and just below head of the bolt, going to replace seals and check pipe on coolant bridge then put bak together and see what happens  ???

Get two new banjo bolts for oil cooler as well as seals ;)

Still wouldn't rule out cam cover gaskets due to amount of oil evident above the "V" - these gaskets can leak without filling spark plug wells with oil ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

OmegaGav

• Intermediate Member
  • Hemel Hempstead
    • 08' Vectra 3.0 V6 Cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 September 2012, 17:07:02 »

whos nearest me who does camcover gaskets ?

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 September 2012, 18:54:44 »

If there is no member local, having gone into the V like you have, you will no doubt have all the skills to do a decent job on the cam cover seals (if you think its them)! Personally I used genuine parts, use plenty of the sealant and do make sure the seal tabs at the rear (both sides) are located correctly. Details on the site.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 22 September 2012, 20:52:07 »

Having looked at those pictures the rear oil cooler banjo bolt does seem to have a fair amount of oil around it and puddled in the recess.

Given the amount of oil around that V it does look more likely to be cam cover seals as front oil cooler banjo seems to be much drier.

If you have all 4 cooler banjo seals then thats as good a place to start as any as the plate does seem to be sealed up properly.As advised banjo bolts must be treated with care as the threads are very fine and on refitting ensure they are fully bitting finger tight before putting any socket on it as you don,t want the threads to cross as only light ali.

Coolant bridge dowty washers could be causing slight coolant lose or spary so again if you have them to hand better of fitting new but again go carefull on the hollow bolts .

Lastly those cam seals shouldn,t present any problems given your ability to strip the top end down that far..only genuine VX seals/ 0 rings and black goo.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 September 2012, 21:08:03 »

If you intend removing the coolant bridge ,make sure you have drained the coolant as when bridge is removed you will end up flooding the V and probably get coolant down the inlets.Not worth all the extra mess just to drop coolant.

I found it easier when fitting the dowty washers to smear them in vaseline as they then stick to the bottom of the bridge bolt hole and make fitting easier than having to align washers /bolts and bridge with 1 hand whilst trying to do banjo bolt up with the other  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #52 on: 22 September 2012, 23:35:34 »

If you intend removing the coolant bridge ,make sure you have drained the coolant as when bridge is removed you will end up flooding the V and probably get coolant down the inlets.Not worth all the extra mess just to drop coolant.

I found it easier when fitting the dowty washers to smear them in vaseline as they then stick to the bottom of the bridge bolt hole and make fitting easier than having to align washers /bolts and bridge with 1 hand whilst trying to do banjo bolt up with the other  :y

I do the same  :y

Whilst you are down in the V check out the two hoses running from the coolant bridge - look for wetness or softness of hoses and pinholes by clamps. ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

OmegaGav

• Intermediate Member
  • Hemel Hempstead
    • 08' Vectra 3.0 V6 Cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23 September 2012, 15:29:59 »

Thanks for the tips guys  :y Cars now back together and running  :) but still leaking oil  :-[ fitted new seals to banjo bolts and coolant bridge bolts noticed lefthand side pipe to the coolant bridge seemed wet so cut 3/4 inch off and refitted water leak appears to have stopped  :y Building a picture now of how this came about..... Coolant bridge pipe must have been leaking slowly and I had not noticed water level dropping especially after wales trip, resulting in a over heating incident where it red lined a couple of tiimes in stationary traffic. The heat from this I think has warped the cam covers causing them to leak and mix with the water already leaking  :-\ So new camcovers and gaskets required  :-X Unfortunately i'm working 6 days of 12hr shifts followed by 1 day off followed by another 5 days of 12hr shifts before 2 days off  so may need to buy a couple of tankers of oil  ::) before I can do the Job !

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #54 on: 23 September 2012, 15:37:06 »

Result - well sort of.  Least you know where to go next :y

OmegaGav

• Intermediate Member
  • Hemel Hempstead
    • 08' Vectra 3.0 V6 Cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 September 2012, 15:44:54 »

Yeah......First drop the car of at the scrap yard then proceed to a dealers where Ive seen a top spec Vectra diesel estate for sale  :D :D :D :D :D ;D ;D

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 23 September 2012, 17:04:13 »

You know you don,t really mean that ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.