Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: performance parts  (Read 6398 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: performance parts
« Reply #15 on: 27 September 2012, 11:16:18 »

Fit a 4.22 ratio dif. Effectively lowering the gearing. It takes an eternity to reach top speed anyway...

Chris being a bit thick when it comes to this stuff how does this effect top and bottom end speed :o

think of a gear set on the back wheel of a push bike. The higher ration/big cog allows you to set off quickly at the expence of top speed, the lower ratio/small cog makes it an eternity to get going but when you do, you can go fast. A 4.22 diff will allow your car to set of quick - reduced top speed ..... 3.9 diff = higher top speed, but is like the small cog on the back of the push bike.  :y

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2012, 11:31:44 »

understand now thank you :y

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2012, 11:37:13 »

Lower geared diff will adversely affect your fuel consumption,although some other tuning options would also have a similar effect. ;)

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2012, 19:48:46 »

I repeat engine mods filters and exhaust upgrades not just noise, and deffinately NOT a Chav. seems some people just can't face others modifying. ::)
No chav just wanted to know if there are any companies that do products for omega's

Funny, but those items you list are just what a 'chav' would want to add to an already superb car with more 'extras' comfort and performance than most of its competitors! Personally I prefer then to be as original and 'understated' so that when some wally who thinks he has a power machine gets left in the wind scratching his head in wonder!
The only way you will get any help or advice that you are seeking on the forums is to be honest and upfront so the members know what is required. Not to state your needs in full I think it is a waste of our time.
Now please tell us all in detail what you hope to acheive and no doubt you will get many replies and correct advice. At the end of the day though it is up to you whether you listen to those who have had miggys for donkeys years and know them well enough to know what works and what doesn't or ignore it. Can't say fairer than that can I? Hope you will be happy at the end result though and its cost effectiveness for the likely very tiny gains.

You are being very general again, what exactly are you hoping to achieve?

Lowering the car?
Stiffer suspension?
Engine (bear in mind there is little you can do to a 3.2 to increase power)
upgrade speakers?

Give us a clue  ::)
Just wondering if there are engine mods / filters / exhuast manifolds / systems, that sort of thing

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2012, 20:19:59 »

Lowering the gearing reduces the road speed relative to engine speed, so you accelerate more quickly :y downside is that top end road speed is slower because in any gear the engine reaches the rev limiter at a lower road speed :y

That's why WRC rally cars can do 0-60 in 3 or 4 seconds, but struggle to do much over 120. It also uses more fuel because the engine is always revving higher than normal :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2012, 21:47:20 »

As far as performance on the omega goes, it's all good IMO.

Quicker acceleration. Top speed comes rounded quicker, not that I've seen top speed of course ;) , performance is better across the USABLE speed range.

Downsides, iirc it's 3-400 rpm higher at 80. Which some might find tedious on a long journey. Possibly higher fuel consumption as mentioned. There may be a slight reduction in top speed, as the rev limiter might kick in. Possibly.

I believe plod use a 4.2 LSD. But not sure. :-\

Anyway, it's a cheap increase in performance and the engine remains sock. So no worries affecting reliability.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2012, 21:49:46 »

There may be a slight reduction in top speed, as the rev limiter might kick in. Possibly.
I'd be surprised if a standard 3.0/3.2 auto can redline in top with standard diff...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2012, 21:59:48 »

There may be a slight reduction in top speed, as the rev limiter might kick in. Possibly.
I'd be surprised if a standard 3.0/3.2 auto can redline in top with standard diff...
Yes, IMO they are over geared as standard. But with a reasonable amount of power, they could afford to sacrifice an amount of performance to achieve better comfort and presumably economy. I have no economy figures btw.

All depends what one wants out of life, I suppose. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2012, 22:02:09 »

Yes, IMO they are over geared as standard. But with a reasonable amount of power, they could afford to sacrifice an amount of performance to achieve better comfort and presumably economy. I have no economy figures btw.

For some, the lower revs may be more beneficial, as it makes for a more relaxing cruise.  So not a one-size-fits-all option
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2012, 22:06:00 »

For some, the lower revs may be more beneficial, as it makes for a more relaxing cruise.  So not a one-size-fits-all option
As said, depends what the owner wants out of life. (;D)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 September 2012, 22:19:43 »

So reading the above fitting a 4.22.1 diff and 3ltr cams to a 2.6 would help low down and mid rage preformance (who is worried about top end these days) this would be at the expense of higher fuel costs and at motorway speed running a bit higher revs so a bit louder.

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 27 September 2012, 22:32:12 »

No, the op has a 3.2. Which come with a 3.9 dif.

The 4.22 dif comes with the 2.6.. So for you, as it's not your thread you cheaky hijacker ;) , you would need a lower geared dif than the your 2.6 4.22. So you'd need to look at the next higher ratio as on the one of the less powerfull engines in the omega range.

There is info in one of the guide sections as to what dif comes with what engine. You'll need to do some Maths and see which one suits best. Although options are limited. But 2woody may be able to fettle one for you.

The obvious upgrade for you as fit a 3.2 lump. But that's another thing altogether. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 September 2012, 22:34:55 »

I though 4.22 was the lowest geared one?
Grumpy old man

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 September 2012, 22:36:35 »

The 4.22 dif comes with the 2.6.. So for you, as it's not your thread you cheaky hijacker

Sorry :'(

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 27 September 2012, 22:37:20 »

Or to put it another way, fit a lower geared dif. Usually from the next less powerfull engine in the range.

(although the 2.2 might be going a hit far)

I though 4.22 was the lowest geared one?
er, dunno, might be. 2woody territory then...?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.