Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: AC Compressor leak  (Read 8316 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
AC Compressor leak
« on: 18 June 2013, 21:00:29 »

http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/Shackeng1/media/ACcompressor004-1.jpg.html I have a slight weep of 'green' from my compressor on the 3.2. It is very slow, as the AC has worked OK since it was last gassed about a year ago, but now it is kaput. The green appears to be coming from the top rear of the compressor, any suggestions as to possible causes? :-\ :-\ :-\

PS I'm quite proud of myself, its only taken me an hour to get the pic on the site. :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 18 June 2013, 21:04:23 by Shackeng »

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
Re: AC Compressor leak
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2013, 21:07:07 »

if your really lucky it will be from the dowty seal at the rear of the compressor.if its normal it will be from one or both of the body o rings

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2013, 21:31:55 »

on top of pump at rear the 2 pipes are joined to 1 mounting flange-the seals are under flange-easy to get at when you remove passenger side engine mount  :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2013, 22:09:37 »

PS I'm quite proud of myself, its only taken me an hour to get the pic on the site. :y :y :y

Sorted for ya Shack:

;)
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2013, 22:15:00 »

Sorted for ya Shack:

;)

Cheers Byron. I'll give up on pics, the instructions have changed on how to do it, and it has taken me 5 years to not understand photobucket. >:( >:( >:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2013, 22:17:10 »

if your really lucky it will be from the dowty seal at the rear of the compressor.if its normal it will be from one or both of the body o rings

Is that fairly straightforward to change? :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2013, 22:18:31 »

on top of pump at rear the 2 pipes are joined to 1 mounting flange-the seals are under flange-easy to get at when you remove passenger side engine mount  :y

Thanks for that Symes. :y :y :y

sassanach

• Omega Knight
  • trowbridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2013, 22:27:32 »

well i hope you are the exception that proves the rule,i have replaced 4 or 5 of these and i haven't seen a leaking dowty seal yet.the compressor itself is a monument to modern,cheap,n,nasty sh+t engineering.

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2013, 22:29:06 »

if pump is shot-got 1 here mate from one of my 2.5 coffee tables :y
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2013, 09:18:55 »

if pump is shot-got 1 here mate from one of my 2.5 coffee tables :y

As I have no engine hoist, is there a preferred  place to support the engine when the LH mount is removed? And how do I know if it is the pump itself that is shot/leaking? Presumably by a pressure or vacuum test? :-\ :-\ :-\

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2013, 09:43:57 »

I went through this last year on my 2.6. In my case it was a leaking compressor. The evidence was around the centre of the compressor. Yours does look similar but you may have to pull it out of its location to completely check the source of the leak. There was no evidence of dye at the dowty seals on mine.

I did manage to replace mine without removing the engine mount but it is extremely tight and when putting it back you have to get the exact angle. It took a lot of attempts but it did go back in. I needed a second pair of hands to secure the compressor when torqueing the unions and I used new seals. Tricky but doable. Mine is all ok now. Oh and the electrical connector on the new compressor was located slightly offset from the original so a but tight underneath too getting the connector back on. If you end up doing the same, make sure the connection cable is clear of the surrounding frame etc.

Also a good idea to ensure the replacement has compressor oil in it before fitting. I hope it is not your compressor, they cost a few quid new, £260 ish I think I paid.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2013, 12:40:53 »

I went through this last year on my 2.6. In my case it was a leaking compressor. The evidence was around the centre of the compressor. Yours does look similar but you may have to pull it out of its location to completely check the source of the leak. There was no evidence of dye at the dowty seals on mine.

I did manage to replace mine without removing the engine mount but it is extremely tight and when putting it back you have to get the exact angle. It took a lot of attempts but it did go back in. I needed a second pair of hands to secure the compressor when torqueing the unions and I used new seals. Tricky but doable. Mine is all ok now. Oh and the electrical connector on the new compressor was located slightly offset from the original so a but tight underneath too getting the connector back on. If you end up doing the same, make sure the connection cable is clear of the surrounding frame etc.

Also a good idea to ensure the replacement has compressor oil in it before fitting. I hope it is not your compressor, they cost a few quid new, £260 ish I think I paid.

Thanks very much for that Allen. Yes I think the leak may be central, so where is it actually coming from, as I can't see a union at the top centre. It also probably makes sense to fit a new one rather than 2nd hand, given the effort to replace it, not to mention the re-gas charges. :y :y :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2013, 15:08:00 »

Not a bad price from here

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Vauxhall_Omega_2.5_2000/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/air-conditioning1/car-compressor/?232720211&1&ff9efa8cf973c5f4b5a293a0e8b005c03cde6e9b&000077

its actually Europarts but a cheaper listing :y

Thanks for that.
Hmmm, I see they say that the Receiver/drier must also be replaced, I assume that is the condenser radiator. Is that necessary?

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2013, 15:10:45 »

Thanks very much for that Allen. Yes I think the leak may be central, so where is it actually coming from, as I can't see a union at the top centre. It also probably makes sense to fit a new one rather than 2nd hand, given the effort to replace it, not to mention the re-gas charges. :y :y :y

As I understand it, there is a seal around the whole circumference/centre/main casing of the compressor, part of the original assembly/design. If the seal fails as in mine, the gas and dye leaks. I didn't dismantle my old unit to look in any more detail, just replaced it. As the seal runs the whole circumference, if it fails, where it fails may be at any point around the unit. You may be seeing dye emitted from the top of the compressor or anywhere around it and naturally the oil/dye will run to the bottom where it is most easily visible.

I suppose the main point is, you'll have to remove it to find out exactly where the leak is? As you have evident dye, it is unlikely to be other parts of the system causing the leak but don't rule it out, have a good look around the system before re-gassing. Reason for saying, my Schrader valve (lp port needed tightening up as well).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.