Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.6 2002 Auto overheating problem. Possible fan problem help needed  (Read 5777 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile

Before ordering a new fan switch, I'd be checking a bit further. It could also be the fan, a relay or a fuse.

http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1295795115

(assuming the 2.6 has one) Use the fan test connector to make sure that you can manually force the fan to run. I think you just need to short pins 4 and 6 in the fan test connector, and the fan should run.
As instructed here... http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=130327.0 ::)

Ahh, ok - no "one problem one thread" rule here then  :D

05omegav6

This thread was started as an overheating one, tother as a specifically electrical one, but thanks to your fuse/relay suggestion, the two have essentially become duplicates... ::)

If Jimbob or Kevin are kind enough and have a moment or two to spare, then perhaps they might be merged...;)

Not posting in multiple sections is actually in the rules :P

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile

Just tested the fans from the plug that connects to the top rad switch and all fans work OK.  :y

Thanks to all for your help.  :y

Just a decent priced switch to track down now.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2015, 17:03:19 by Andy A »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

iirc about £6 on Ebay
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

I've searched on EBay for part number 90458540 and the cheapest I could find was £18 and will take 1 - 2 weeks for delivery. Are there any other part numbers that is the same part?

Thnaks

« Last Edit: 11 May 2015, 18:54:32 by Andy A »

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

What can I say Al. Obviously I must need new glasses as clearly these are no good.  :-[

Nice find thanks Al.  :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Still got problems.

Thermostat is stuck open. Top hose is getting hot before temp gauge was off zero. Is there anything I should know before changing the stat? What is the correct temp for the stat?

Just put the new fan switch in and all three fans do come on now at low speed but not until 100degC then they shut off at around 90degC on the dash. Is this the cause of the thermostat stuck open or have I just purchased a faulty switch?
I think it is a faulty switch. But I'm new to the 2.6 engine.

I thought the dash should be around 85 - 90degC depending on the cooling fans.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

05omegav6

The idea of the thermostat is to regulate the block temp... Stat needs changing before you can condemn the switch as by switch the fans on the switch clearly works ::)

If the car is off the road as a project, whip the inlet manifold of and look for leaks around the oil cooler and coolant bridge as it's an ideal opportunity to inspect replace everything then in reach... Including the breather bridge, hbv, oil cooler, cam cover seals and both temp sensors if budget allows :y

Be sure to also buy a new transfer pipe, as it will probably break when you try to remove it...

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

The idea of the thermostat is to regulate the block temp... Stat needs changing before you can condemn the switch as by switch the fans on the switch clearly works ::)

If the car is off the road as a project, whip the inlet manifold of and look for leaks around the oil cooler and coolant bridge as it's an ideal opportunity to inspect replace everything then in reach... Including the breather bridge, hbv, oil cooler, cam cover seals and both temp sensors if budget allows :y

Be sure to also buy a new transfer pipe, as it will probably break when you try to remove it...

Al, Where and what is the transfer pipe?

Where is the location of the thermostat?

05omegav6

There's a guide for everything, well nearly everything if you CBA to look... :-X

Sorry, but not in the mood for babysitting...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90647.0 :-X
« Last Edit: 14 May 2015, 16:15:29 by Taxi Al »

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

I read that post earlier.

What confused me was it said ( 3.2 ). Didn't mention 2.6. I automatically assumed the 2.6 was different in some way. Never seen a 3.2 before and only just got my first 2.6. My other car is a 2.2 Omega and totally different.

Thanks for the link. :y

05omegav6

Fundamentally, a V6 Omega is the same as any other V6 Omega. The principal differences being cc, ignition and throttle systems :y

Obviously there are some detail differences, different cambelt kits etc based on engine number but the 2.6 is basically an undersized 3.2...

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

Fundamentally, a V6 Omega is the same as any other V6 Omega. The principal differences being cc, ignition and throttle systems :y

Obviously there are some detail differences, different cambelt kits etc based on engine number but the 2.6 is basically an undersized 3.2...

Thanks Al for the info.  :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile

I understand that but what is confusing me that every car I've had with a stuck open thermostat like this one is has always run under temp.

What is different about the Omega 2.6 that causes it to overheat with the thermostat stuck wide open?

The radiator has no cold spots and is not blocked in any way.

I can't afford to spend a lot of money on the engine if it doesn't fix the problem.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.