Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Wobble  (Read 4980 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel Wobble
« Reply #30 on: 26 March 2007, 13:27:34 »

Just been on WIM forum looks like STS Tyre Pro's are part of the Franchise but all the same once the Steering Idler Is done I may give it a run to Watford. :-/

If the job is more than £100 to get done would it be worth me doing it myself. :question
IIRC, The idler is around £30.  

Is that what it is new from VX only i have been looking on Ebay and can get one for about £35 inc delivery.

This one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Steering-Arm-110mm-Omega-Carlton_W0QQitemZ200091634353QQcategoryZ10404QQcmdZViewItem

So if I was to do it myself I could save myself about £30 - £40 inc getting the alignment done although tempted to go to watford for geometry check :-/

Are the drivers side and passenger side steering arms the same as I know the Drivers side one goes into a mounted box of some sort

Shall see what price they come up with first though.
There is only one idler, and its passenger side.

I'm sure I paid about £30...  (well £60, as I had 2 sent so I who have a spare for any future projects)

I'm glad I asked now as I was going to buy two only if I'm going to do the passenger one myself the other would have been for the drivers side, so what do they use for the drivers side or is it a case of a new box with the arm incorporated or something.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 March 2007, 13:37:28 »

drivers side is the steering box.
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 March 2007, 13:44:03 »

drivers side is the steering box.

Makes sense ;D

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 March 2007, 09:53:09 »

BTW How much are we looking at for a full geometry check at WIM?

Cheers
Ian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 March 2007, 10:58:57 »

BTW How much are we looking at for a full geometry check at WIM?

Cheers
Ian
Depends on number of adjustments to be made.  Give him a call - you will find him very helpful and friendly, or see his website - http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 March 2007, 11:28:51 »

I contacted the STS Tyre pro's yesterday and apparently they are struggling to get a price for the part, I was told VX dont stock these anymore which to me sounds a load of Bullshit.

I know I can get the part off ebay so am tempted to go this route and fit it myself.

Does anyone know if this part is in short supply.

I'm going to call them again at lunch time for an update.

If I was to buy and fit the part can anyone confirm what the torque setting will need to be.

« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 11:29:33 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27 March 2007, 11:31:39 »

I contacted the STS Tyre pro's yesterday and apparently they are struggling to get a price for the part, I was told VX dont stock these anymore which to me sounds a load of Bullshit.

I know I can get the part off ebay so am tempted to go this route and fit it myself.

If I was to buy and fit the part can anyone confirm what the torque setting will need to be.

Not aware of supply issues.

Do a search for torque -it has been covered before recently. 60Nm rings a bell, but you'd need to double check...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27 March 2007, 11:36:51 »

Do a search for torque -it has been covered before recently. 60Nm rings a bell, but you'd need to double check...

Cheers TheBoy I shall have a look, just checked the Haynes finally found the page and it gives a similar setting for all the connecting bolts.

Found the guide by RonaldMcBurger http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158598664
Looks pretty straight forward
« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 11:46:42 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27 March 2007, 12:12:12 »

Cheers TheBoy I shall have a look, just checked the Haynes finally found the page and it gives a similar setting for all the connecting bolts.

Found the guide by RonaldMcBurger http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1158598664
Easy enough job, easier still with right balljoint splitters...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27 March 2007, 12:24:57 »

Easy enough job, easier still with right balljoint splitters...

Looks Like the tyre place were struggling to get the part needed from the supplier they use.

So i'm going to give it ago myself I think, just got to order the part through Ebay then fit, the garage have said they are willing to do the 4 wheel alignment and they said if I wanted they would do the Geometry :-/ on that one at the moment.

Im assuming this can be done without balljoint splitters but would be made easier if I had one.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 12:26:03 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 March 2007, 13:32:39 »

It will be easier with splitter. Depending how seized on, one may be required anyway.  They are cheap.
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27 March 2007, 16:44:04 »

It will be easier with splitter. Depending how seized on, one may be required anyway.  They are cheap.

Silly question but is the balljoint where the centre tie rod and tracking arm join to the Idler if so this is where it has the movement

« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 16:57:34 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 27 March 2007, 16:47:38 »

Silly question but is the balljoint where the centre tie rod and tracking arm join to the Idler if so this is where it has the movement
The movement is generally the idler to chassis.

The ball joints (it has 2) are where track rod joins, and where centre tie rod joins
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2007, 16:58:37 »

The movement is generally the idler to chassis.

The ball joints (it has 2) are where track rod joins, and where centre tie rod joins

Ah Ok got that bit wrong  :-[ ;D

I shall see about getting a splitter then

Would this do the job:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-Inch-Ball-Joint-Splitter-Drop-Forged_W0QQitemZ150104143042QQcategoryZ30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
« Last Edit: 27 March 2007, 16:59:45 by nixoro »

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 27 March 2007, 18:16:07 »

The fork type splittes are OK, the best type are the wind down type, great when you can't swing a hammer, Halfrauds sell one @ <£20, a good bit of kit....

Some might say horses for courses however!
DC
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.