Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering Wheel Wobble  (Read 4983 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel Wobble
« Reply #45 on: 28 March 2007, 10:05:29 »

The fork type splittes are OK, the best type are the wind down type, great when you can't swing a hammer, Halfrauds sell one @ <£20, a good bit of kit....

Some might say horses for courses however!
DC

Cheers for the recommendation I shall do some searching see what i come up with. :y

Still haven't ordered the idler yet, so not sure I will have it for the weekend.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 April 2007, 08:05:37 »

I have now ordered a new steering idler from the Ebay seller mentioned earlier in the thread ordered on Saturday so just waiting on the part.

Can anyone tell me what the Torqueing procedure is?

Is it done with the wheel off and up in the air or is it done with the wheel on and on the ground so its taking the weight of car.

Hope this makes sense
« Last Edit: 03 April 2007, 08:06:22 by nixoro »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03 April 2007, 08:25:51 »

It doesn't matter on the steering idler....

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 April 2007, 08:31:09 »

It doesn't matter on the steering idler....

Cheers Mark :y

Hopefully the part will be delivered today, so if there when I get home I may give it a go.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 April 2007, 09:01:36 »

For Ball Joint Splitters, take a look here: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/ball+joint/page/1

I ordered one yesterday as I have to do this very job myself as a result of an MOT failure.  That, coupled with a track rod end and exhaust.  :(

The ones that work with a hammer are not very good IMO - it takes a lot of hammer action before the joint comes apart.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 03 April 2007, 09:04:13 »

For Ball Joint Splitters, take a look here: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/ball+joint/page/1

I ordered one yesterday as I have to do this very job myself as a result of an MOT failure.  That, coupled with a track rod end and exhaust.  :(

The ones that work with a hammer are not very good IMO - it takes a lot of hammer action before the joint comes apart.
I vaguely recall having to use fork type due to lack of room to get the screw type in...
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 April 2007, 10:28:05 »

I vaguely recall having to use fork type due to lack of room to get the screw type in...

Just had a phone call from the misses saying it has arrived yay ;D pretty quick delivery.

I think I will see about using one of the forked splitters as my dad seems to think he has one, if not its a trip to my local Bennetts as they seem to have them.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 05 April 2007, 07:58:08 »

Just had a phone call from the misses saying it has arrived yay ;D pretty quick delivery.

I think I will see about using one of the forked splitters as my dad seems to think he has one, if not its a trip to my local Bennetts as they seem to have them.

Update

So far the swap is on hold until after work I had a go at swapping the idler last night and it proved to be a right bugger to do.

I started off without a balljoint splitter which was partly my fault and my dads as he said he had one then come to use it couldn't find it.

Anyways i got the car up in the air with the wheel off, nuts came off the idler fine but the balljoint is an absolute bastard to get out.

I ended up getting ferried to my local halfords to get the splitter which was the fork type, these are no use when doing this type of job as the ends are too thick to get under the join to prise the balljoint out and so I am going again to my local halfords to get the smaller jobby which hooks around the balljoint and you wind the bolt in forcing the balljoint out.

Space is also limited under there so in my attempts for the swap i noticed the steering idler mounting bracket when released lower the steering arm giving plenty of room, if  had had the right tool it would have been done.

What I found was the fork type splitter is ideal for removing the tracking arms as it goes in the joint where the tracking arm connects onto the centre steering arm.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2007, 08:17:29 by nixoro »

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 09 April 2007, 23:58:09 »

the trouble with the fork type splitters is that you end up destroying the joint whilst removing it as it wrecks the rubber boot on the joint ... however, one of the scissor type splitters (as in here)

make the job laughably easy - no clumping a fork-type with a hammer to do the job - and you can re-use the track rod ... have yet to find if it fits the steering idler though.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 April 2007, 09:51:55 »

the trouble with the fork type splitters is that you end up destroying the joint whilst removing it as it wrecks the rubber boot on the joint ... however, one of the scissor type splitters (as in here)

make the job laughably easy - no clumping a fork-type with a hammer to do the job - and you can re-use the track rod ... have yet to find if it fits the steering idler though.
I've never found a screw up type one that fits the idler :(
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 April 2007, 11:22:37 »

Well in the end I had to cheat, I had 2 attempts at removing and replacing and bought all 3 types of tool but due to the thickness of them and lack of access I was unable to get the tools in place properly mainly as the plate sections that were supposed to go in between the idler and the steering arm were just 2 thick.

On the other hand i am quite pleased I took it to a garage now as 1 night I used the club hammer with the fork tool and it wouldn't budge the next was using both the wind in bolt jobbies but they like I say were too thick to put in place properly.

Once I found a place that would fit my part they were umming and rrring whether to do it as it was obvious someone had had a go, they put it up in the air and they gave me the biggest shock, when I had the tyres replaced before the company i used never balanced them so no weights were fitted.

Front tyres have some wear on the inside edge but its livable till I can get some new tyres.

Alignment has now been done and with the part I supplied fitted steering is definately more responsive and accurate.

I am now on the look out for some nice wheels before fitting new tyres so shall see what I can find.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2007, 13:01:07 by nixoro »

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 April 2007, 12:17:50 »

Thats one job on my list the Steering Idle.

Ill wait to see what happens after the MOT on SAT

Glad you got it all sorted sounds like you had a battle getting your old steering idle off.

No Balance weights after having new tires put on there are some total idiots about working everywhere these days Bloody Cowboys

Craig
« Last Edit: 11 April 2007, 12:19:20 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.