Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EMERGENCY - CAR WONT START  (Read 3996 times)

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
EMERGENCY - CAR WONT START
« on: 30 September 2008, 17:55:34 »

Guys,

Not too sure if anyone can help me?  I have a non starter on Colwick Nottingham (not too far from MarkDTM  ;)) and i am hoping someone can help?  I have tools, spare fuel pump and paper money to hand in anyone can help.

I'm a celeb please get me out of here!!!  :'(
[size=18]Project LP6 has landed![/size]
[size=12]DIY LPG now finally complete!! Whoo hoo.[/size]

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: EMERGENCY - CAR WONT START
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2008, 18:00:12 »

Guys,

Not too sure if anyone can help me?  I have a non starter on Colwick Nottingham (not too far from MarkDTM  ;)) and i am hoping someone can help?  I have tools, spare fuel pump and paper money to hand in anyone can help.

I'm a celeb please get me out of here!!!  :'(

A long way off from you I'm afraid, but when you say "non-starter" in what way?

Does the engine turn but not fire?

Does the engine refuse to turn and your main lights are dim?

Does the engine refuse to turn but your main lights and interior ones are all ok?

Need more info please to assist. :y

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2008, 18:02:19 »

Full battery and turns just fine.  I have had a long standing issue with this car and i came very close to fitting a new fuel pump yesterday.  I have a spare pump in the boot ready but i cant get the tank cover to move, it's jammed solid.

I'm pretty sure its the pump but wont know for sure until it's replaced.

There is fuel pressure but i get hte feeling the pressure isn't enough, hence i thought if the fuel pump.  This occured a while back and if i shorted the pump relay out the car started ok, this managed to get the car started 10-15 times.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2008, 18:04:39 by Omega2000w »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2008, 18:07:12 »

Full battery and turns just fine.  I have had a long standing issue with this car and i came very close to fitting a new fuel pump yesterday.  I have a spare pump in the boot ready but i cant get the tank cover to move, it's jammed solid.

I'm pretty sure its the pump but wont know for sure until it's replaced.

There is fuel pressure but i get hte feeling the pressure isn't enough, hence i thought if the fuel pump.  This occured a while back and if i shorted the pump relay out the car started ok, this managed to get the car started 10-15 times.

mmmm!  Seems like the fuel pump is the prime suspect! :'(

You need someone close to get a replacement by the sounds of it.

You sound very sure that fuel, or at least not enough of it is getting through? :(
« Last Edit: 30 September 2008, 18:07:45 by Lizzie_Zoom »

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2008, 18:14:43 »

I think it's the pump but i have never experienced such a problem before.  If teh fuel normally runs at 3bar for example, would 2 or 1 bar be such a problem?  I didn't realise how important fuel pressure was until now...

I have a replacement pump in the boot ready to fit but can't shift the tank cover, no matter how hard i try.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2008, 18:35:49 »

I think it's the pump but i have never experienced such a problem before.  If teh fuel normally runs at 3bar for example, would 2 or 1 bar be such a problem?  I didn't realise how important fuel pressure was until now...

I have a replacement pump in the boot ready to fit but can't shift the tank cover, no matter how hard i try.

In that case I would somehow get that cover off come what may!  ;)

There lies the answer to your problem and brute strength may secure it for you! :y

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2008, 18:50:15 »

Thats it, cover off and o9ld pump was quite clean.  Put new one back in and still wont start.  So that's £47 down the swannie  :'(

Now stuck for ideas.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2008, 18:53:06 »

I can probably pop down for an hour or so....

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2008, 19:01:01 »

So, where are you exactly?

SP_3.2

• Omega Baron
  • Leicester
    • drives A6 allroad 3.0tdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2008, 19:09:40 »

Could it be the crank sensor. I have a spare good one in the boot from a facelift if any help and not to far away.

PM sent :y
Also drive a Savage 25 niro truck...and flys a Bell 47 twister Savage 46 ss and a Tamiya audi TT ..for now.

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2008, 20:24:40 »

Hi everyone,

Just got in from today's escapades.  Unfortunatly i was forced to leave the car at work.

Anyhow my dad turned up in the end and we tried to start it again but with jump leads connected to his car and still it would not start.  I swapped out the fuel pump (in a record 10 mins) and still no go.

SP_32 (Steve) dropped me a line and we chatted about what else it could be and the best thing we could think of was a faulty crank sensor, so maybe this is the best (only) next step.

I'm pretty sure the LPG ECU wiring is ok as once the car is running it runs very well and has not caused any issues.  If the LPG wiring to the injectors were to be below standard i would have thought it would affect the car during normal driving.

One thing that really confuses the hell out of me is that for 10 or so failed start i managed to get her started my shorting out the fuel pump relay, but maybe this is a red herring?

Thanks so much for your supoprt Steve  :y

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2008, 20:30:13 »

Mark - I was on private road No.4 just off the loop road.  The car is all locked up now in a car port so will be ok for now.  I need to put her on charge first thing in the morning.

Cheers
Marc

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2008, 21:53:07 »

Is there a way to start it on LPG? It will be grumpy until the vapouriser warms up but that will eliminate a petrol supply problem.

If that doesn't work - crank sensor?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

The Cambelt Kid

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2008, 22:10:01 »

Kevin,

Tried that... my last install on my 2ltr had an easyjet install and LPG starts were very easy and yes it was a bit grumpy for the first ten mins or so, but was on on tickover until warm.  I usually switch the V6 onto LPG after about 1 minute and it runs very well.

I tried to start her tonight on LPG by holding down the gas button for 10 secs while starting and it seemed to switch on as the red 'G' LED was lit and the solenoids were open, so maybe i can eliminate the petrol now?

Maybe i am starting to beat around the bush a bit and need to bite the crank sensor bullet!  after all my problems seem to only be at engine start and never during running (LPG or Petrol).  Once the engine is started both LPG and petrol are as smooth as silk.

The car is at work now so i will put the car on charge in the morning and try to repair after work...

Oh the joys of owning an Omega, can't live with it, can't live without it!

Cheers
Marc

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2008, 22:29:41 »

Kevin,

Tried that... my last install on my 2ltr had an easyjet install and LPG starts were very easy and yes it was a bit grumpy for the first ten mins or so, but was on on tickover until warm.  I usually switch the V6 onto LPG after about 1 minute and it runs very well.

I tried to start her tonight on LPG by holding down the gas button for 10 secs while starting and it seemed to switch on as the red 'G' LED was lit and the solenoids were open, so maybe i can eliminate the petrol now?

Maybe i am starting to beat around the bush a bit and need to bite the crank sensor bullet!  after all my problems seem to only be at engine start and never during running (LPG or Petrol).  Once the engine is started both LPG and petrol are as smooth as silk.

The car is at work now so i will put the car on charge in the morning and try to repair after work...

Oh the joys of owning an Omega, can't live with it, can't live without it!

Cheers
Marc

Might be worth plugging T2 into it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.