Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My MPG  (Read 3634 times)

Welung666

My MPG
« on: 08 November 2008, 09:35:15 »

A couple of weeks ago I filled up to the brim with standard U/L. Reset trip counter and average consumption on MID. £62.50 @ 97.9/l makes it 63.8 litres or 14 gallon. I then drove normally (fairly steadily but the occasional chav beating sports mode moment) to and from work (4 miles each way) twice a day as I'm on split shifts plus local shopping and a good fast run up to Telford. Fuel light came on during the week so I drove it to near death (range was into single figures) before filling up again. A whole 221 miles! So by my calculations makes it an average of 15.78 miles per gallon. MID states 16mpg! How cr@p is that!  >:( I've refilled this time with Super, £65.00 @ 99.9 per litre. 65 litres or 14.3 gallons. I'll see what this does this time but I'm seriously unimpressed. Any suggestions on improving my mpg without the need for a flat cap?

Martin_1962

Re: My MPG
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2008, 10:04:00 »

LPG conversion - no more economy, but cheaper fuel

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2008, 10:04:38 »

LPG conversion - no more economy, but cheaper fuel

No boot!  ::)  ::)  ::)

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 November 2008, 10:28:21 »

what's killing your economy is not the odd chav beating moment but the 4 mile commute to and from work.  The warm up phase drinks fuel as does the autobox in town.  I know it is not practical in winter but for a 4 mile trip, use a bike.  Use the Miggy for longer runs outside of town driving.  you should get nearer 30mpg then

Incidentally, just read about someone getting 40mpg from that 'smart' car so I suppose you shouldn't feel too bad.  Miggy= 2 smart cars, so 20 mpg is not too bad?
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2008, 11:09:39 »

the omega is not fuel friendly, its nearly 2 tonnes i beleive and any v6 will be thirsty. Add an auto box and busy town driveing with short journeys and 16 mpg is easy. Saintly driveing might give you 19/20 in town. Try using the auto box tendency to roll with no engine breaking to your advantage, ie gentle acceleration and come off the gas pedal early so you roll up to junctions or what ever with minimal breaking. Hard acceleration with long periods on the gas with hard breaking at the other end can waist fuel for very little time gain. Its a different driveing disciplin, try it, saves your license as well.

More fuel friendly cars exist obviously but youll have to spend alot more money up front to get one. Thus the total saving will take considerably longer to achieve/get your money back, probably not within the life of a smaller car. Personallly i would rather pay the fuel bill and have a cheaper more luxurious car.

The omega will go on, with some maintenance work, to do silly miles. With that in mind, a diy £750 lpg kit conversion can deliver overall savings within a year at about 50 to 55p a litre. The following 5 or so years, dep. on your mileage, of motoring will roughly half your fuel bills once the price of the kit has been recovered.

I would recommend a tech 2 session with one of the guys on here who have them. See "The Boys" rates on the bottom of one of his posts. This can check the multi ram operation on the engine and fuel trim(?)  to make sure the economy is as good as it should be. Dont bother with a dealer tech 2 session, they ve not a clue how to use it. Muppets!
Hth.

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2008, 11:22:47 »

Follow Chris's advice above^ it is good.

Personally I too have a 4 or 5 mile commute to work and I either cycle or drive the PUG 306 D-Turbo to and from work. The Omega is for weekend runs out of town or when I have to go further afield for work reasons.

The Pug is a simpler, and slightly cheaper, compromise than LPG for me and it is great for chucking the bikes in the boot with the seats down too.

As for LPG, personally I like my boot-space (not enough to drive a hearse estate though ;D), but I am quite seriously considering it now having seen Kevin Wood's engine bay on his 3.2 like mine.

I need to see the figures and how they stack up though before I commit to the money for an LPG system. I'd also have to factor in the costs of paying someone to fit it; I would only really trust a fellow OOF member anyway to do the job. I'm trying to work on Kevin to see if he would do mine. ::)

Horses for courses buddy. :y

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 08 November 2008, 11:39:16 »

boot space is an issue, a large tank halfs(ish?) the boot space. So i intend as large as possible upright donut tanks in the spare wheel well as i also like to bung a couple of mt bikes in the back with the seats down. Gives less range but that suites me, all things considered.

keithnic

• Dunbar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 November 2008, 11:40:59 »

I used to have the 3.0 v6 auto estate and only got 16mpg in town.  Now have the 3.2v6 auto and it gets 18-19 so not much better.  The last 4,500 miles I got average 26.5mpg, but that included lots of motorway with trips from London to Switzerland and Aberdeen driving at a steady 80-85ish.  
The trick I've used recently is to leave early when going somewhere and driving more slowly i.e. 70-75 rather than 80-85.  I think that makes a difference

Welung666

« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2008, 11:52:41 »

All excellent advice :y I don't want to go the LPG route really, I'll have a look on the map and see who's my closest Tech2, I need to replace my MID anyway so will probably need programming.

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 November 2008, 17:13:49 »

Midlands meet at the 'Plank & Leggett' tomorrow.
regards
richard a
richard a

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2008, 17:43:40 »

As stated it's the town driving that "nails" the V6 economy careful cruising on a motorway run at 65 to 70 mph has returned over 40 mpg for me :)
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Welung666

« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2008, 19:17:26 »

Well I've been out shopping with the 'Boss' and took it steady on acceleration, let it coast as much as poss and gentle running. Very rarely did the instant drop below 25 and the average is up to 17.3 now :y Although I'm on super now.

jjleonard

• stevenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2008, 20:40:23 »

I'll absolutely agree - in my 2.6 I'll average around 29 mpg for 200 mile motorway journeys. As an experiment today, I left the trip computer in instant consumption mode - 7mpg under heavy acceleration!

I used to own a diseasel mondeo that averaged 54mpg, but I'd take half the fuel consumption any day, when I now have heated leather seats, a Bose stereo, climate control and a car that I'm proud to give work colleagues a lift in!

:y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2008, 20:53:50 »

As stated it's the town driving that "nails" the V6 economy careful cruising on a motorway run at 65 to 70 mph has returned over 40 mpg for me :)

Yes indeed Tony, even in a 2.5 V6 short journeys around town are a killer on mpg, with mine being lucky to average more than 18. :'( :'(

But once the car warms up and I do a long run, especially 70-80 on a motorway the mpg shoots up.  After a 200+ mile jouney it has reached 35 mpg even if I have booted it a few times ::) ::) ::).  

Knowing the Omega's, and their predessors mpg as I do it is just one of those things you accept for the fair swap of comfort and a powerful engine. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Anyone who objects to an Omega's mpg frankly has just one option; get a small car or a push bike! ::) ::) :D :D ;)

vegasgo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2008, 23:05:24 »

The mpg on my 2.2 auto 51 reg was a concern when I bought it, a three mile trip would knock four times that off the 'miles remaining' number on the lcd. Once you hit the mwys, it tends to go the other way.

Have come to appreciate luxury and comfy driving does come at a price, wouldn't change it though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.