Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My MPG  (Read 3635 times)

TECHNOPUG

• Islington - London & Essex
    • View Profile
Re: My MPG
« Reply #45 on: 17 November 2008, 11:18:45 »

15.8mpg since April in mine. That's mainly due to quite a but of town driving, well, central London crawling to be precise! Will run at mid-20's on the motorway, although I'm running smaller radius wheels (55's on 15 rims) which will lower the gearing - don't know whether this will be refelected in the trip computer calcualtions? I think the speedo is over-reading by around 5%, so not really anything noticeable. Managed about 22mpg on a 270miles trip across Europe in the summer. Stuck 60l in the tank at Adeanau and managed to get all the way to Dunkirk ferry terminal and into the BP at Dover with zero miles range showing.....not too bad considering it was pretty much a 100mph hack all the way. Misfire probably isn't helping matters but I'll address that when I get her back from the MoT station.
     Altogether, not exactly frugal, but then again she only cost £460 to buy and I'm probably doing less than 5k a year - so I don't mind paying out the petrol tokens in return for the nice V6 growl when she gets to stretch her legs.

rastamanblues

• Newbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 November 2008, 11:59:51 »

Over the past 2/3 tank fulls, The averages have been between 28-32mpg, thats with a few runs to MK and back, but also giving it quite alot of right foot action. I also stuck it into instant consumption mode, and managed to get it down to the high 6's low 7's!

It also prolly helps that my trek to work is about 14/15 miles each way, and thats a mix of a/b roads, and a trip down the M4, with very little traffic, so no stop start.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 November 2008, 12:03:45 »

I use my car mostly on combined runs with some town driving, and consistently get 30+ mpg, with my 3.0 V6 Auto Estate.

With unleaded at 91ppl here, and diesel 15p more at 106ppl, it makes no sense whatsoever to get an oil burner.

For me, petrol is just over £4 a gallon, to which I get 30 miles. That's less than 13p per mile, so I'm more than happy with that, given car size, engine size, and autobox.

If fuel economy  over short distances is anything of a concern for you, then I'd probably suggest a V6 Omega probably isn't the best choice of vehicle in that department  ::)

In terms of incresing MPG, my biggest bit of advice is make sure it's getting up to temp quickly  :y
If you are getting a consistent 30mpg from 3.0 auto, you would get mega miles from a chipped tractor manual if you drove it the same Miss Daisy way
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 November 2008, 12:04:26 »

Since filling up tractor on Saturday morning, 24mpg :o.  Hopefully now resolved ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 17 November 2008, 12:05:37 »

If you are getting a consistent 30mpg from 3.0 auto, you would get mega miles from a chipped tractor manual if you drove it the same Miss Daisy way

.. and probably won't miss the power. So, a pair of ear defenders on your Christmas list and you're sorted. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 17 November 2008, 12:06:54 »

.. and probably won't miss the power. So, a pair of ear defenders on your Christmas list and you're sorted. ;)

Kevin
Oi  >:(

I changed the oil on Saturday, now I can here the wheel bearing ;D
Grumpy old man

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 17 November 2008, 16:29:46 »

My speedo tells me I've just done say 37 miles (trip mileage) and my MID also tells me I've covered the same distance. Question can I believe it's telling me I've achieved 37 mpg. The reason I ask is I don't completely know whether if that accurate because I have had the TD chipped recently.
How does the MID take it's mileage covered calculation, and fuel used calculation. OK maybe a bit thick on this one, but can someone explain so's I can understand whether it's giving me the correct info.

Mick

Peter H

• Somerset
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 17 November 2008, 16:40:48 »

My 2 cents.

My 2.5V6 Elite (prefacelift 1999) returns 21mpg pocing about in Somerset, lanes and all, and just managed 29.4 return run to London for a theater trip.

My XJ-S does around 15 mpg on the local circuit, and has done 20.8 mpg on a London run.  

I always run my tyres near the upper end of the range, I think the Omega is 32psi front 30 rear, but I am not sure how much help this actually is.

Given that the Omega is more comfy I think it is a small price to pay for the amount of car you get to drive.

When filling up I always think of the depreciation on say a BMW 535d and feel better about another £60 of unleaded! ;D

Bread and water can so easily be tea and toast!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 17 November 2008, 16:42:36 »

MID needs 2 inputs to work out MPG: Distance covered and fuel used.

Distance comes from the same signal from the ABS ECU that the speedo uses so it should be reasonably accurate.

Fuel used comes from a signal from the ECU which indicates how much fuel it thinks it's injecting. This is not measured, but depends on the (known) flow rate of the injectors and the duration for which they are open. If the flow rate of the injectors is not as it should be or fuel is leaking out, etc. the MPG reading will be inaccurate.

The above applies equally to petrol and diesel engines. I find the MID is within 1 or 2 MPG.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 17 November 2008, 17:08:21 »

Distance comes from the same signal from the ABS ECU that the speedo uses so it should be reasonably accurate.

Fuel used comes from a signal from the ECU which indicates how much fuel it thinks it's injecting. This is not measured, but depends on the (known) flow rate of the injectors and the duration for which they are open. If the flow rate of the injectors is not as it should be or fuel is leaking out, etc. the MPG reading will be inaccurate.

The above applies equally to petrol and diesel engines. I find the MID is within 1 or 2 MPG.

Kevin

So do you think having changed the chip on the TD would have messed the figures up on mine or should it still be reasonably accurate. In other words are the MID readings correct.
I get roughly around 10 mpg more now than I was getting pre chipped. The chip was obtained and fitted by our good friends here on the forum, so others have the same fitment on their TD's.

Mick
« Last Edit: 17 November 2008, 17:10:23 by MickAP »

beemerdevil

« Reply #55 on: 17 November 2008, 17:15:13 »

well........hmmm......quite a variation of mpg figures there peeps.........i did about 250 mile rond trip at weekend, 90% motorway, and according to the obc, i did about 25 mpg - that was cruising at 85-90 (and obviously slowing to 50 mph speed zones on the A1)  i dont think thats bad at all  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 17 November 2008, 17:17:35 »

Kevin

So do you think having changed the chip on the TD would have messed the figures up on mine or should it still be reasonably accurate. In other words are the MID readings correct.
I get roughly around 10 mpg more now than I was getting pre chipped. The chip was obtained and fitted by our good friends here on the forum, so others have the same fitment on their TD's.

Mick
As Kevin Wood says above, should be accurate, as its based on how much ecu thinks its putting in, and (on diesel) feedback from injector 4.

The only true way is brim it, use it (not necessarily the whole tank), brim it again, then calculate by hand.

Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.