Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Pad Change  (Read 3998 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pad Change
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2006, 20:08:10 »

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2006, 20:11:40 »

The brake Fluid is DOT 4, and the capacity is 0.5L from empty, though if you are changing the fluid and not just bleeding you will need more than this as you will be bleeding some good fluid before stopping.

Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2006, 20:47:48 »

Ok great, thanks for the picture... i thought it was that, but again a picture helps a great deal!

I do intend bleeding the system... i did a search on the 'other' place... after reading that i get the impression i need to bleed each caliper?

So I need to jack up each wheel and un-do the 'bleed nipple' on each caliper and bleed it all out, also pressing the brake pedal to get all of it out.... or is there a better way?

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2006, 21:41:06 »

Best thing to buy is an eezi-bleed brake bleeding kit. It makes it easier for one person to bleed the brakes.
Retired

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2006, 21:45:05 »

Best thing to buy is an eezi-bleed brake bleeding kit. It makes it easier for one person to bleed the brakes.

That's one option:

http://www.gunson.co.uk/item.aspx?item=1818

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 August 2006, 21:46:03 »

I think tunnie's got something similar. He affectionately calls it Mother  ;D
Grumpy old man

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 August 2006, 21:47:53 »

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 August 2006, 22:39:40 »

[smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

Funnily enough my bleeding kit... (Mother) has a thousand uses!!!

You can say 'hold this' and 'move that' and as by magic its done.

The 'Mother' kit also makes a good dinner  ;D

Seriously though, I don't mind bleeding each caliper manually ... not sure how much that kit is markjay? there is no price listed.

How much oil is expect to come out? I don't mind getting underneath each wheel un-doing the bleed and leaving a small tray to catch all the oil.....
« Last Edit: 04 August 2006, 22:43:19 by tunnie »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 August 2006, 23:08:44 »

Thanks, the halfords one looks interesting & simple

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 August 2006, 23:33:28 »

micky mouse  ;D

Got a full set of sockets, found them in the garage look pritty proffesional....

Although i think i might have just buggered something. I managed to un-do the very tight nut with the main wire connected to. At least i thought it was a wire... not seams to be a tube of brake fluid.

I have un-done the main nut and it seams to be draining oil or brake fluid!  :o

So i got scared and put the nut back in to double check what i am doing, have un-done the wrong nut?? :-[
Tunnie
Please don't take this the wrong way but even after asking the question ....  what bolts do I remove to remove the brake pads & still get it wrong - bleed nipple or banjo fitting at the end of the brake flexi pipe. And then ask where is the brake fluid reservoir  :o Do you trust yourself that the car will actually stop again when you press the brake pedal?
Remember to press the brake pedal before you set off down the road to test them to ensure that the new pads are up agaist the discs.
Sequence for post 98 with 4 channel ABS (according to Mr Haynes) is:-
Nearside rear
Offside front
Offside rear
Nearside front
« Last Edit: 04 August 2006, 23:39:19 by Andy_B »

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 August 2006, 23:35:20 »

How much oil is expect to come out? I don't mind getting underneath each wheel un-doing the bleed and leaving a small tray to catch all the oil.....

What you do is put a plastic tube on the bleed nipple and drain into a glass jar or similar, or just wrap a rag around the nipple and absurd the expelled fluid.

But the problem is not with the oil spillage, the thing is that you need to release the bleed nipple while the system is pressurised, let some of the old fluid come out, then quickly lock it back BEFORE the pressure goes down otherwise you will have air drawn back in.

The good old two-man method works like this:

1. One guy in the car, the other guy (usually you – the car guy is the ‘helper') is ready with the spanner around the bleed nipple under the car.

2. Guy with spanner shouts 'press!'. Guy in car presses down the brake pedal in full and shouts back 'pressed!'

3. Guy with spanner opens the bleed screw and watched the squirt of brake fluid come out. As the squirt dies down, spanner guy quickly locks back the nipple. It is important that at this stage the brake pedal is NOT depressed (i.e. NOT released) before the bleed nipple is locked back otherwise air will be sucked back in..

4. When the bleed nipple is safely locked again, spanner guy shouts 'once more!'. Car guy releases the brake pedal, and presses it again in full. Shouts 'Pressed!'

5. This is repeated - if just bleeding, until thick stream with no bubble is coming out - if changing the fluid, until the new (clear) fluid starts coming out from the nipple. At which point you move to the next wheel...

Tips:

1. As you bleed, check the brake fluid reservoir, and top-up as necessary. Don't let the fluid level in the reservoir go down too much or you’ll get air into the system from the top end!

2. If you place a tube on the nipple and submerge it in a jar with some new brake fluid in it, if the nipple does suck-back-in it will collect only brake fluid from the jar and not air.

3. It is advised to push back the callipers to expel the old fluid from them, but very gently and with a flat wooden/plastic tool. You need to
(a) make sure you apply pressure on all of the mating surface of the calliper simultaneously otherwise you may damage the rubber seal.
(b) not use any metal tools as you may scratch the surfaces on the piston or bore.
(c) open the filler cap at the top as well as the bleed nipple while pushing the calliper back, and then push it very gently in order not to create back-pressure and reverse the rubber seals in the master cylinder.

4. take care when opening and closing the bleed nipple. It is a very delicate nut. If it does not open easily, soak it in penetrating oil but do NOT apply brute force with the spanner - the nut will become round or even the whole thing could shear off. When closing, do NOT over-tighten.

5. There is no need to shout, if you roll-down the window the car guy can here you even if you whisper…

If you understand the two man method, you will see that the alternative solutions essentially eliminate one of the two guys - either a fixed air pressure is applied to the reservoir from the top (some use a hand air-pump and container, others like Gunson use the air pressure from the spare tyre) so there is no need to press and de-press the brake pedal as the system is kept constantly under pressure thus eliminating the ‘car guy’, or a one-way valve is placed on the tube at the bleed nipple so there is no need to open and close the nipple with the spanner eliminating the ‘spanner guy’.

« Last Edit: 04 August 2006, 23:45:56 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 August 2006, 02:23:02 »

Another tip dont get brake fluid anywhere near your paint work. Its better than paint stripper
Retired

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 August 2006, 09:53:26 »

Please don't take this the wrong way but even after asking the question ....  what bolts do I remove to remove the brake pads & still get it wrong - bleed nipple or banjo fitting at the end of the brake flexi pipe. And then ask where is the brake fluid reservoir  :o Do you trust yourself that the car will actually stop again when you press the brake pedal?
Remember to press the brake pedal before you set off down the road to test them to ensure that the new pads are up agaist the discs.
Sequence for post 98 with 4 channel ABS (according to Mr Haynes) is:-
Nearside rear
Offside front
Offside rear
Nearside front

The car i am doing this work on is not my main car, I bought project A not only as a way to make money but to practice my maintaince on. Yesterday was the first time i put a car on axel stands by myself.

Unfortunetly I did screw up and un-do the wrong nut.... my mistake but this is a test car and i am learning from it. I can now replace the pads on my main car no problems now, without accidently bleeding brake fluid!  ;D

Thanks markjay for the really detailed guide on brake bleeding... as i  do mine i might take some pictures and you can add it to that for a maintaince guide.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 August 2006, 10:02:36 »

The car i am doing this work on is not my main car, I bought project A not only as a way to make money but to practice my maintaince on........
I'm glad I won't be in the market to buy another Omega then! I might get one that some one has practiced on the brakes with!!  :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.