Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake Pad Change  (Read 3991 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Pad Change
« Reply #30 on: 05 August 2006, 10:05:10 »

tunnie, I'm pleased you're gaining the confidence to do more on your car :)

As warned above, ensure that you've thoroughly bled the system before using it (even a quick spin up the road)...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 August 2006, 12:15:14 »

i've checked the tank in the engine bay... loads of fluid left... so my little 'accident' did loose much.

Just bought a Vx Go battery and going to connect that up so it runs without being jumped all the time.

I never really tested the brakes on project A when bringing it back, i drove it smoothly as it was differnt.

I might try your test Jamie of trying to lock the wheels up by really stamping on the brakes (after i have done some gentle braking to test its ok)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 August 2006, 12:25:51 »

I might try your test Jamie of trying to lock the wheels up by really stamping on the brakes (after i have done some gentle braking to test its ok)
Let your new brake pads bed in a little first. The first few applications of the brakes will feel cr4p untill the new pads bed into the discs.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 August 2006, 12:38:13 »

Don't even think of driving it until you have bled the brakes! You will have air in there!
Grumpy old man

TheOutcast

« Reply #34 on: 05 August 2006, 13:19:50 »

The car i am doing this work on is not my main car, I bought project A not only as a way to make money but to practice my maintaince on........
I'm glad I won't be in the market to buy another Omega then! I might get one that some one has practiced on the brakes with!!  :o
We all have to learn somehow.
I can't help thinking though, that if you don't know some-one who can show you how, then a Haynes manual is the easiest place to start.
These manuals  may not be perfect, but at least they should help you avoid basic mistakes.
I know that you can't get a manual for the facelift Omega, but I'm sure that many of the basics are the same as on the pre facelift. Including the brake calipers.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2006, 13:43:44 »

Let your new brake pads bed in a little first. The first few applications of the brakes will feel cr4p untill the new pads bed into the discs.

I left the old pads in, plenty of ware left in them, still very thick. I am keeping the new pads for my facelift.

Not planning on driving yet... after my little 'accident' some fluid escaped, but it was still flooding out when i put nut back in. Reading markjays detailed guide, i got the impression air would only be taken in once the fluid had stopped draining out...?

I'm glad I won't be in the market to buy another Omega then! I might get one that some one has practiced on the brakes with!!

I am sure with the help of this forum the brakes will be better than ever when done. As i said before yes this is a practice car, i am not going to sell the car without testing the brakes!! - I am treating this car as if it was my main car.

It took my most of friday (1pm-7pm) just jacking up the car, putting it on an axel stand, removing the drivers side front wheel, and removing the brake pads. Now i suspect many here can do what took me 6 hours in total,  they can do in a matter of minites....

But having done the above, i now feel confident i can do the same job on my facelift a lot quicker. (without bleeding brake fluid)

If i get really stuck I can always ask TheBoy for help since he lives just up the road..... BUT i want to do it myself.

Yes i made mistakes, and I will probably make some more! But you can't learn without making mistakes!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 05 August 2006, 14:07:59 »

Not planning on driving yet... after my little 'accident' some fluid escaped, but it was still flooding out when i put nut back in. Reading markjays detailed guide, i got the impression air would only be taken in once the fluid had stopped draining out...?

If you disconnected the brake pipe, then the pipe bit that was still dripping fluid may or may not have got air in it, but the (lower) calliper side probably did... If you leave air in the braking system, the pedal action will feel very much soft and ineffective as the pressure needs to compress the air bubles before the fluid starts working on the pistons. It would feel as if you have to press the pedal all the way down just to slow the car down a bit, and a quick stop will be practically impossible.

Also, air tends to go up, so it may get stuck in the top of the calliper, meaning it will affect the braking of only one wheel, but then it might go all the way up to the master cylinder, meaning that either both front wheels or all four wheels may be affected.

« Last Edit: 05 August 2006, 14:14:43 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 August 2006, 14:16:08 »

tunnie, cannot emphasise enough - you must bleed those brakes before using. Do not even be tempted to take for a quick spin without doing this...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 August 2006, 15:19:44 »

Just popped into town and got 2 x 500ml cans of DOT4 brake fluid.

Not sure how much i would need.... but i think on the brake bleeding part i will admit defeat and if i could ask yet another favour of Jamie?

If you have some spare time this weekend or during the week, would you be able to pop around and give me a hand bleeding the brakes?

Thanks

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 August 2006, 16:59:34 »

I've gotta do it on the MV6 - you are welcome to come and watch (ie assist!)  ;)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 05 August 2006, 17:19:42 »

I've gotta do it on the MV6 - you are welcome to come and watch (ie assist!)  ;)

Excellent!  :D

When do you plan on doing it?

I have 2 bottles of 500ml DOT4 if your short (how much is needed?)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 05 August 2006, 17:27:31 »

Normally, 1l should be enough.  I'll have to wait until I get some more brake fluid, as I've just checked, I'm down to 3 x 250ml bottles...

Just in case you are not aware, once you've opened the brake fluid bottle, you can't store the bottle for long (the fluid absorbs the moisture in the air, reducing its effectiveness) - thats why I tend to use smaller bottles...
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 05 August 2006, 17:35:50 »

1 of bottles i got from the motorstore in brackley seams to be leaking a little  >:(

Just a bit moist around the cap.

Your welcome to use 1 of the 500ml bottles i got, i can easily get another one. Take it as a thanks for showing me what to do....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 05 August 2006, 17:42:51 »

I'll get a couple more 250ml bottles from Vx, just so its all the same in there...  ...probably do one evening in the week.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 August 2006, 17:44:30 »

ok, let me know which evening your planning to do it and i will assist!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.