Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Diving Left towards the Scenery  (Read 3276 times)

feeutfo

Re: Car Diving Left towards the Scenery
« Reply #45 on: 08 September 2011, 01:24:58 »

Where roughly are you in the world....?

We may be able to guide you to a tech2 owning member on here, if in the uk.

wildhog70

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 October 2011, 10:22:04 »

I am watching this thread with interest.. as mine sometimes behaves similiar..
many things can cause that behaviour..

brake calipers,pistons, shocks, wishbones, front geometry items, tire pressure difference etc..

is there any play (gap) in steering ?

and also during checks a faulty item may be, not controlled completely :-/

also measure the distances of all tires to bumpers..

Was trawling the web last night and came across a guy who sounded like me, same issue tried and replaced all of the above and more and eventually came to the ABS pump. Apparently the pump faults dont show up on the computer but are a common fault item on omegas! not my words but theirs.

Any ideas or knowledge on these. Heard anything about them??

Hi all, I know some of you have been watching this with interest but the news isnt good. The last thing I had left to replace was the ABS pump. I sourced a great one from Vauxhall salvage in Derby and it was fitted the other day. No difference what so ever.

I have replaced everything. I have three mechanics now who have thrown the towel in. And the car still isnt sorted.

Any ideas folks

wildhog70

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 October 2011, 10:23:31 »

Hi all, I know some of you have been watching this with interest but the news isnt good. The last thing I had left to replace was the ABS pump. I sourced a great one from Vauxhall salvage in Derby and it was fitted the other day. No difference what so ever.

I have replaced everything. I have three mechanics now who have thrown the towel in. And the car still isnt sorted.

Any ideas folks  :-[

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 October 2011, 10:52:34 »

You say the alignment has been checked. Some are better than others at checking Omega alignment. Wheels in Motion have a good rep on here. :y

Dodge

• Wrexham
    • 2.2 CD auto lpg/petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 October 2011, 12:52:00 »

Hi wildhog, I had EXACTLY the same probem and it ended up being a combination of CALIPER and WISHBONE.
I'm not saying that you have the same problem but I would do the following:
1. Take it for a brake weight check and on a rolling road but tell them what you are looking for and get them to test the breaks several times and not just the once.  This should identifyany breaking problems.
The calliper problem I had affected the wishbones so.....
2. Check the wishbones.  There are at least 2 if not 3 bushes (rubbers) on here and I went to 2 different garages who tested the wishbones with a crowbar by moving the wishbone up and down only so what you need to do is check the side to side movement on the wheels as well, similar to a wheel bearing check.
With the car up (on a 4 poster) try pushing the front wheels in (Towards each other) repeat with the car on the floor and also with the car slightly elevated but the tyres still touching.
That is where my problem was.
Because of the caliper problem, the bushes deteriorated on one side and when breaking hard or at speed the car would lurch to one side!
There are a lot of very cheap and poor quality products out there so my experience is you get what you pay for.
I live in an area with a lot of speed bumps and when a bush goes I change the whole wishbone and then get wheel alignment done too.
Hope this helps. Technically I'm no expert but have had 3 2.0/2.2 Omegas over 10 years and have come accross a few probs in my time!
Dodge

Dodge

• Wrexham
    • 2.2 CD auto lpg/petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 09 October 2011, 17:37:25 »

p.s. one wish bone only lasted 2 weeks!

feeutfo

« Reply #51 on: 09 October 2011, 18:44:32 »

You sound like an expert  to me Dodge. Wishbone bush failure is very common as you say.  :y

Theres a me mechanical imbalance somewhere. Either brakes or bushes.

Brakes could be stuck slider or piston. Or worn pads or discs. Air in the system. Any of which could cause a wheel to brake less efficiently than the other side.

Or... loss of control of the wheel position on one side. BMW's have what they call track control arms. A very accurate description of they're job. They "control" the track of the wheels. Tracking! Or toe! Same thing. Note they are not responsible for adjustment, just control.

So, if one bush is failed on omega wishbones, wishbones do the exact same job as BMW's track control arms on the omega btw, they then we have in imbalance there too. In that if the bush fails, control of the track of the wheels is lost compared to the other side.

Ordinarily, when we brake the natural reaction of the wishbone is to toe out both wheels.  Hold both arms out when walking through a door way, it's the same thing. The body goes forward and the arms go back. If a wishbone bush is failed we have one arm stronger than the other and the body will veer off under braking because both the toe out is not the same.

Are both wishbones matching pairs first of all. Always change axle components in pairs. Shocks, springs, wishbones/bushes, pads, discs etc all need to be working at even levels or we get a pull under braking. Either brake imbalance or loss of control of the wheel position on one side.

Btw, nobody suggested that changing the abs pump would make any odds.

And If we knew where you are, we may be able to help further.  ???

HockeyDave55

• Milton Keynes
    • 2000my 3.0 police special
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 09 October 2011, 21:52:54 »

Have you checked the steering parts? Also, my MOT station have a rig on their lift the shakes the car so they can check for loose/worn parts, this together with a proper brake efficiency check should show up the problem....
Good luck mate, I know how you must feel...   :'(

feeutfo

« Reply #53 on: 10 October 2011, 00:03:33 »

Indeed, must be a nightmare, and persistence is to be admired.

Happy to take a look if your anywhere near this part of the planet.....?

wildhog70

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 10 October 2011, 22:53:05 »

Thanks for all the replies. I am in Northern Ireland so I am probably miles from you! Will keep trying but have shelled out a fortune and the car is no better than whan i started.

albitz

« Reply #55 on: 10 October 2011, 23:02:18 »

Nearest OOF tech2 is in Scotland - not that close, and involving a return trip on the HS ferry to/from Stranraer.Doesnt seem to be much info/knowledge available on good dealers,mechanics etc. in the emerald isle.Im sure there are plenty who are up to the job - theres a professional standard rally team based in every other farm. Its just a matter of finding someone by word of mouth recommendation I imagine. :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #56 on: 23 October 2011, 22:19:57 »

We have diagnosed a car today with similar problem. Wishbone bushes loose, or not tight enough. Correct torque setting is 120nm plus angle tighten 30 and then 15 degrees.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.