Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 Wheel bearing  (Read 3166 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 Wheel bearing
« Reply #45 on: 07 September 2011, 17:29:32 »

I wonder why it always seems to be the nearside bearing that fails?

More kerb strikes?  Obviously doesn't apply to skilled OOF drivers  ;)

More potholes kerb side?

Roundabouts?

I wonder if it is generally the right hand one in Europe  :question

Not according to the guy from Finland.
I like red cars

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07 September 2011, 17:37:54 »

if you are not sending it back under warranty then bring the car/bearing to trowbridge and i will surface grind a couple of thou' off the inner race mating surface :y

Do you think that'll work ???  Trouble is it's a lot of work at your place ... stripping down, splitting the bearing, grinding, re-assembly... are you sure you have the time do do it ?? 

If so, sounds a plan ... PM me your phone no and I'll give you a bell to sort something out.

Extremely grateful  :)

PM sent :)
« Last Edit: 07 September 2011, 17:39:12 by entwood »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 07 September 2011, 19:41:31 »

I had the same recurring problem on my MV6 - a new bearing every year or 2, though always a fair amount of play, even when new...

In the end, under Master's advice, I go a hub/bearing from one of DLK's breakers and slapped that on.  Problem mostly solved, just a tad of play in it.  Not sure if the improvement was due to DLK's likely being GM bearing, or if the original stub axle itself was damaged...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #48 on: 07 September 2011, 21:17:32 »

I had the same recurring problem on my MV6 - a new bearing every year or 2, though always a fair amount of play, even when new...

In the end, under Master's advice, I go a hub/bearing from one of DLK's breakers and slapped that on.  Problem mostly solved, just a tad of play in it.  Not sure if the improvement was due to DLK's likely being GM bearing, or if the original stub axle itself was damaged...

There is currently slight play in both of yours. Similar to my original off/drivers side.

IMO, There should be no play at all, sholdnt need over tightening.... Bit obvious that, sorry  ;D

Although that's a hell of a lot of leverage for two races 3/4 of an inch apart.  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 September 2011, 21:19:20 »

There is currently slight play in both of yours. Similar to my original off/drivers side.

IMO, There should be no play at all, sholdnt need over tightening.... Bit obvious that, sorry  ;D

Although that's a hell of a lot of leverage for two races 3/4 of an inch apart.  :-/
The fact is with that type of bearing, I think there will always be an element of play.  But had you seen it before I changed the steering knuckle over..... ;)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #50 on: 07 September 2011, 21:22:49 »

There is currently slight play in both of yours. Similar to my original off/drivers side. ::)
 ;D

The fact is with that type of bearing, I think there will always be an element of play.  But had you seen it before I changed the steering knuckle over..... ;)
Yep. You did ask me to check your ball barings... Sigh.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2011, 21:24:40 by chrisgixer »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 08 September 2011, 07:35:16 »

Mine was replaced at Newent last year, and now has play in it.

Sourced from buypartsby.
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 08 September 2011, 10:25:29 »

I'm starting to feel smug justified in paying dealer prices for my wheel bearing/hub 3 or 4 years ago.  ::) ::)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 September 2011, 10:26:54 »

I'm starting to feel smug justified in paying dealer prices for my wheel bearing/hub 3 or 4 years ago.  ::) ::)

Think you made the right choice.
I like red cars

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 08 September 2011, 17:11:46 »

We've decided to go that way now as well.

Sassenachs offer is very nice but might not be/solve the problem so have "bit the bullet" and ordered a "real" one.

If MarkDTM wants the old one to play with when it's removed then he's welcome to it.

If you say £122 pounds quickly it don't sound much .... until you add that to what I paid in France ... :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 September 2011, 19:55:25 »

Well the deed is done...

Picked up the new bearing assembly last night and fitted it. No play whatsoever when tightened "firmly" ....  feels so much better that the one I took off !

Took it to a local garage today without the cap and the centre of the wheel fitted, they torqued it up to 320Nm for me for a couple of quid in the HFH box  :y :y :y (previously arranged this :)  ) Saved me a drive to swidnod in SWTSMBO shoppoing trolly to hire a large torque wrench as mine only goes to 210Nm.

So now I have a very nearly new (1200 miles) wheel bearing with a surprising amount of play ready for Mark to have a play with if he wants :)

And I just have to wait and see what happens to this one ........  :)

All ready for a visit to WIM for full geo and 2 new tyres on Friday. Looks like I'll be getting Toyo T1-R (?) as they can't get Kumo 31 any more.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 13 September 2011, 20:06:57 »

Well the deed is done...

Picked up the new bearing assembly last night and fitted it. No play whatsoever when tightened "firmly" ....  feels so much better that the one I took off !  ....

Job done!  :y :y :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.