Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP my omega..  (Read 18507 times)

999gsi

• norwich
    • 2002 omega.2.6 v6 cdx est
    • View Profile
RIP my omega..
« on: 01 January 2012, 20:31:46 »

well my lovely immaculate omega has passed away.last week the car broke down and investigations reveal the head gasket as failed...im not prepared to spend nearly a grand to get it fixed so my question is what should i do with it...???  E bay as a spares or repair,break it or just get the local scrappy to come and get it...(the though of stripping a car for spares doesnt really appeal)...thanks phil....
previous cars,cavalier gl,glsi,sri 130,cdi,gsi.nova gte,astra gte mk1,3x gte 16v mk2,gsi mk3,carlton gsi 24v,vectra 3.2 gsi ,signum 2.0 turbo design,lexus is 200,saab,95 se and aero,bmw 523,merc e260...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: RIP my omega..
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2012, 20:38:42 »

well my lovely immaculate omega has passed away.last week the car broke down and investigations reveal the head gasket as failed...im not prepared to spend nearly a grand to get it fixed so my question is what should i do with it...???  E bay as a spares or repair,break it or just get the local scrappy to come and get it...(the though of stripping a car for spares doesnt really appeal)...thanks phil....

And what has lead you to this diagnosis? V6 head gaskets don't normally fail, they can do, but generally on cars older than yours.  ??? ???

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2012, 20:40:32 »

If you are talking about the 2.6 in your profile....... I have yet to see a 2.6 head gasket fail.
Who has told you its the head gasket?
What are the problems with it?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

999gsi

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 January 2012, 21:04:57 »

garage thought it was the oil cooler,as no mayonnaise on dipstick,oil cooler replaced,car then overheated on tickover,compression test reveal head gasket failure on the right bank.garage owner is a friend so not out to try and rip me off..
previous cars,cavalier gl,glsi,sri 130,cdi,gsi.nova gte,astra gte mk1,3x gte 16v mk2,gsi mk3,carlton gsi 24v,vectra 3.2 gsi ,signum 2.0 turbo design,lexus is 200,saab,95 se and aero,bmw 523,merc e260...

RobseyMV6

• west sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 January 2012, 21:16:43 »

garage thought it was the oil cooler,as no mayonnaise on dipstick,oil cooler replaced,car then overheated on tickover,compression test reveal head gasket failure on the right bank.garage owner is a friend so not out to try and rip me off..

Never had head gasket go on the 2.6 yes oil cooler go, did they clean water ways out enough for coolant to flow, was your coolant bottle full off cream/oil?

ted_one

« Reply #5 on: 01 January 2012, 21:29:10 »

Take all the advice thats offered on here especially in relation to may be getting a second opinion within the forum i.e DLK is the man to talk to,trust me on this one :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 January 2012, 21:42:53 »

Take all the advice thats offered on here especially in relation to may be getting a second opinion within the forum i.e DLK is the man to talk to,trust me on this one :y :y

+1  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

999gsi

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2012, 21:55:25 »

Never had head gasket go on the 2.6 yes oil cooler go, did they clean water ways out enough for coolant to flow, was your coolant bottle full off cream/oil?
coolant bottle full of cream,car overheated blew a hose and was recovered home.new oil cooler was fitted,old one was tested and found to be fine.cooling system well and truely flushed...TBH i just want rid of it....for the miles im now doing a v6 is just too expensive to fuel..

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2012, 01:46:24 »

Shame, I've just completed converting mine to LPG. Half price petrol  :y  :y :y

Diesel around £1.40, LPG 67.9P

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

999gsi

• norwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 January 2012, 21:24:38 »

saw the car today,dipstick covered in mayonnaise,as is oil filler cap  :(,gonna put on ebay as spares or repair....

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2012, 15:59:10 »

Update.
Now have this car sat on my drive. Have done a little bit of investigation and found the symptoms to be a little different to the original diagnosis.
No sign of mayo on the dipstcik.Oil looks normal to me.Have flushed the cooling system three times. Got lots of creamy sludge out but still a lot more to come by the look of it. I can only assume the garage wasnt aware of how much flushing would be required after oil cooler failure on V6. There was no heat from the vents,but after flushing now have hot air which is hopefully a sign of progress. Havent done a compression test as yet as I dont have a tester,but I may get one next week. Havent tested the old cooler as I dont have the means (or know of a suitable method) of doing so.
No sign of overheating either,quite the reverse in fact. Temp gauge wont move off the bottom of the scale on tickover. If it is revved for a minute or two it will creep up to 80 degrees,so it looks like it needs a stat.
Engine sounds a bit burbly (moreso when cold) but there seems to be a bit of an exhaust leak, which could be the cause.
Im going to carry on assuming it just needs plenty of flushing,but will also look at other things to try to prove myself wrong,if that makes sense.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2012, 16:03:10 »

lol, sounds like the suspected poor diag as expected.

If its been run much with a goosed cooler then it will take a fair bit of flushing .

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2012, 16:07:04 »

Really is a shame that some people don't listen :-[

Ah well at least it will get fixed now :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2012, 16:10:33 »

Indeed, sounds like the normal poor diagnosis we have come to expect from garages  :'(

Guessing its had plenty of use with blown cooler, if it has overheated.  That'll be fun. Not!
Grumpy old man

albitz

« Reply #14 on: 14 January 2012, 16:12:48 »

Had enough use to blow the bottom hose off. ::)
I had to do a lot of flushing when the cooler went on my p/fl, but this is on a whole different level altogether. ::)
Would the sludge cause the stat to stick open or is that likely to be coincidental ?  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.