Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine noise, terminal?  (Read 61120 times)

feeutfo

Re: Engine noise, terminal?
« Reply #90 on: 02 March 2010, 23:15:36 »

Just read through the entire thread & am sat here with bated breath! I sincerely hope it turns out to be 'summat and nowt' :o
Got everything crossed for you anyhow :y

your not kidding, poxy phone battery died earlier while at work, couldnt charge the bugger til i got home and it STILL took 20 mins to turn on, TB is right, gay piece of crap.

Waiting patiently for news from the Woods.

But while we're here, the changing the leads thing, i'm intrigued, whats causing the rattle with a miss fire?

I've seen a v6 litteraly leap from side to side with a miss fire on one pot, might of been 2 pots on the same bank, there was a rattle, but nothing deathly. Not doubting the story, just interested...?

If i had to guess, some sort of pinking thing, piston slap, or the opposite cylinder out of time without the other opposite one firing? guessing mind.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02 March 2010, 23:27:39 »

I've seen a v6 litteraly leap from side to side with a miss fire on one pot, might of been 2 pots on the same bank, there was a rattle, but nothing deathly. Not doubting the story, just interested...?

If i had to guess, some sort of pinking thing, piston slap, or the opposite cylinder out of time without the other opposite one firing? guessing mind.

If the petrol is not being burnt it will wash oil from the bore. If it removes the film of oil between piston and bore the piston isn't lubricated, and there is nothing to stop metal-on-metal contact between piston and bore. Piston slap is probably one of the cacophony of evil noises we were hearing.

I guess it depends how much oil is thrown up the bores against how much fuel is thrown down.

Well, I've been a bit preoccupied tonight but tomorrow there will be an update. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #92 on: 03 March 2010, 00:43:07 »

If the petrol is not being burnt it will wash oil from the bore. If it removes the film of oil between piston and bore the piston isn't lubricated, and there is nothing to stop metal-on-metal contact between piston and bore. Piston slap is probably one of the cacophony of evil noises we were hearing.

I guess it depends how much oil is thrown up the bores against how much fuel is thrown down.

Well, I've been a bit preoccupied tonight but tomorrow there will be an update. :y

Kevin
sorry, i'm not very good at this posting thing am I ? By "story" i ment Zoks post about changing the leads, how did Mark know to change the leads and leads alone, not dis or plugs? and why would leads have been touched for a cam belt change?  other service work done i suppose.

I get the oil wash piston slap thing. I presume TB's car was quiet within a few rpm of starting and got louder as the oil was washed off, almost scared to ask, please God its nout too serious.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 03 March 2010, 00:51:29 »

Kevin
sorry, i'm not very good at this posting thing am I ? By "story" i ment Zoks post about changing the leads, how did Mark know to change the leads and leads alone, not dis or plugs? and why would leads have been touched for a cam belt change?  other service work done i suppose.

I get the oil wash piston slap thing. I presume TB's car was quiet within a few rpm of starting and got louder as the oil was washed off, almost scared to ask, please God its nout too serious.

I changed the Cam Covers too on the car we are talking about.. being honest I was as stunned as Zok and you by the sounds of it, but it worked. Thats why Mark is the Master I'm afraid.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

feeutfo

« Reply #94 on: 03 March 2010, 01:19:08 »

Kevin

I changed the Cam Covers too on the car we are talking about.. being honest I was as stunned as Zok and you by the sounds of it, but it worked. Thats why Mark is the Master I'm afraid.
ah ok, so you would have put new plugs in it? ...and the dis fails in pairs of opposing pots i believe, so only leaves leads...? i guess? or did oil in the wells make leads most likely?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #95 on: 03 March 2010, 01:56:53 »

Have to say this is better and more gripping than the soaps!!

Await the next episode/solution with baited breath!!

Jaime - hope its nothing serious ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 03 March 2010, 07:46:57 »

Have to agree with Mark, even if you've never heard a big end before, you'd know it when it was failing, their ain't another sound like it.
I like red cars

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 03 March 2010, 08:16:50 »

Have to agree with Mark, even if you've never heard a big end before, you'd know it when it was failing, their ain't another sound like it.

Have to agree.. nothing quite like a big end rattle! :(

Fingers crossed for you TB
best wishes
Simon.

Kaycee

• Intermediate Member
  • Doncaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 03 March 2010, 14:36:54 »

followed with intrest does sound like cylinder off i too have seen engines thrashing about with one plug of and banging on the engine mounts etc i had a old vauxhall 14 many years ago that had a corroded plug lead and the row that came from that was unbelievable it was the engine mount banging along with the piston slap but they were long stroke engines
hope it goes ok for yu mate
There is a tide in the affairs of man if taken at the flood will lead on to greater things

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 04 March 2010, 10:47:34 »

Kevin Wood had another look last night, with the LPG injector loom removed.  Noise still present  :'(

If you can play it (I can't) noise is:

http://images.omegaowners.com/images/kevin/theboy-engine.flac

Grumpy old man

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 04 March 2010, 11:07:31 »

Kevin Wood had another look last night, with the LPG injector loom removed.  Noise still present  :'(

If you can play it (I can't) noise is:

http://images.omegaowners.com/images/kevin/theboy-engine.flac

winamp plays it....but im not at home, will have a listen in an hour or so

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 04 March 2010, 11:16:06 »

not a nice sound!

here it is in mp3 to save anyone installing anything else...

http://images.omegaowners.com/images/Jimbob/theboy-engine.mp3

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 04 March 2010, 11:17:56 »

Oh!  Played it in Winamp (volume needs to be right up).

Oh rather dear  :'(
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 04 March 2010, 11:18:58 »

not a nice sound!

here it is in mp3 to save anyone installing anything else...

http://images.omegaowners.com/images/Jimbob/theboy-engine.mp3
Thanks for the conversion :y

Hasn't made it sound any better though, still sounds worryingly terminal  :'(
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 04 March 2010, 11:34:43 »

Doesn't sound at all good ....but as the compresion test was OK it .. sort of .. rules out something dropping into a cylinder and doing damage.

Noise "seems" so regular as to be just one cylinder sort of timing

Random thought ... could it be an injector ?? as you have had the injector rail off .. I wonder if one injector is being stupid now ??? can you try disconnecting each in turn ??
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.