Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Cameras  (Read 4646 times)

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Video Cameras
« on: 28 July 2006, 21:15:02 »

I will throw this out to those who hopefully know a lot more than me on this subject.  :)

Want to get a video camera, price £300-£400.
Only pre-requisite is that it is dvd cam.

Suggestions please?

Thanks

Dave
The Administrator.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Video Cameras
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2006, 22:03:33 »

As mentioned before, the ones getting the top reports are the Sonys which support DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW....watch the Panacronics, they are DVD-RAM and dead pricey. Often they dont come with USB ports but hey, its a disc, it goes in a DVD drive which is a hell of a lot quicker.

The convenience factor on them is great, instant access, DVD quality, most have dolby dig sound.....

.....the only down side is the need to covert them to anaologue audio when transfering to full size DVD although you can always not bother and simply drop the disc in the DVD as it is (the standard editing on the camera is very good !)

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2006, 22:43:56 »

I would suggest you forget all about the DVD bit. They are not that good and only use 8cm DVD's which cost £9,000,000 each disk.

Go for a Canon XM1. I had two and they were superb. DV in/out plus 3CCD and flourite lens. XSuperb cameras and quality is unbeatable without getting into DVcam.

Not that I know anything about filming of course. yes another string to my bow......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2006, 22:45:07 »

I would suggest you forget all about the DVD bit. They are not that good and only use 8cm DVD's which cost £9,000,000 each disk.

Go for a Canon XM1. I had two and they were superb. DV in/out plus 3CCD and flourite lens. XSuperb cameras and quality is unbeatable without getting into DVcam.

Not that I know anything about filming of course. yes another string to my bow......

Clearly know nothing about formats ;)

I pay 3 quid for a re-recordable disc...
« Last Edit: 28 July 2006, 22:45:30 by Mark »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2006, 22:54:52 »

I vote Sony too for cameras, good picture the super steady shot stuff they have is very good. Most of them have nice touch lcd screen's and fairly priced too.

I know Sony is not what it used to be, and some people can't stand them (Jamie?)

From my experiance they are good little camera's the DVD Re-write ones are brilliant because there is no transfer involved.

Remember you need a fairly meaty PC to do any video editing, with lots of storage. When capturing video from a normal camera with a DV tape, 1 hour of video uncomressed will be huge!!! talking over 10Gb's

You then have to compress it down to smaller size to fit on CD / DVD and that takes a long time, the higher the compression the longer it takes. And Tbh its all farting around and is a pain.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2006, 23:20:30 »

Steady shot?????? Thats for girls! As for sony camcorders, never again as far as I'm concerned. I am talking more pro-user than holiday stuff here though, but sony - no,no.

Canon XM1 or XL-1 if you want to go the whole hog.

Plus DVD cam compresses the image into MPEG2, which DV doesn't. Format my ring piece! ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2006, 23:25:04 »

If you are not going Hi Def I would fully recommend a mid range Sony MiniDV, I have one, purchased after a lot of research and it is excellent.
No camera on the fly encode will match good PC software on a two pass encode.

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2006, 23:27:23 »

Steady shot?????? Thats for girls! As for sony camcorders, never again as far as I'm concerned. I am talking more pro-user than holiday stuff here though, but sony - no,no.

Canon XM1 or XL-1 if you want to go the whole hog.

Plus DVD cam compresses the image into MPEG2, which DV doesn't. Format my ring piece! ;D

I'm surprised you are not keen on Sony - I think their video cameras in general are excellent.

My first was a HVC4000P with a SLF1UB portable Beta deck, I now have a TRV33 MiniDV with anamorphic support, I will be going HDV as soon as I can afford it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2006, 23:33:03 »

I know Sony is not what it used to be, and some people can't stand them (Jamie?)
I refuse to have Sony stuff in the house any more. Overpriced junk, and never do what it says on the tin  >:(
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2006, 23:34:44 »

I refuse to have Sony stuff in the house any more. Overpriced junk, and never do what it says on the tin  >:(

Funny that I have loads of Sony gear and I have never had problems with it.

TVs, VCRs (Beta) video cameras, some HiFI, car audio, AV receiver

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 July 2006, 23:39:15 »

I used to only consider Sony, and was happy with it. But in about the last 4yrs, every single piece of Sony equipment - DVD players, TVs, cameras, even their bloody alarm clocks have fundamental problems.  Some, like the well publicised issues with their 100hz Wega CRT TVs Sony fixed elsewhere in the world, but Sony UK refused, stating to fix the faults on the stuff they sold was too expensive.

I cheapo, no brand, Tesco special always outperforms Sony's overpriced, incapable junk.
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2006, 08:09:34 »

Well this has stirred up a good debate!  ;D

I have to say, to me, DVD seems the way forward.

As for Sony.... Well I don't dislike quite as much as Jaime, but I agree they are generally overpriced.

So, how about some (camera) models for me to check out?
The Administrator.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2006, 09:05:59 »

I used to only consider Sony, and was happy with it. But in about the last 4yrs, every single piece of Sony equipment - DVD players, TVs, cameras, even their bloody alarm clocks have fundamental problems.  Some, like the well publicised issues with their 100hz Wega CRT TVs Sony fixed elsewhere in the world, but Sony UK refused, stating to fix the faults on the stuff they sold was too expensive.

I cheapo, no brand, Tesco special always outperforms Sony's overpriced, incapable junk.

I have some Sony stuff in my house including an alarm clock (no probs there) and a 100hz 32" Wega CRT Tv......altho i have to admit im on the 3rd one......1st one had a deguassing prob on install (it wouldnt!)....2nd one lasted 2 weeks....guns went out of alignment...(3 images all at the same time, red blue, green) 3rd one has been fine for ummm must be 8/9 years (bought it when they first came out whenever that was and has survived 4 house moves)

And i also must admit i got a 4yo Sony portable CD/Radio/Tape in bits at the moment, i suspect a dry joint on the PSU board....as it powers on ok if you flex the PSU board.....but then since ive had it the radio has been on for at least 10hours a day practically everyday.....so carnt complain really.

I havent bought anything Sony recently so carnt really comment if they have recent build quality issues.

boss

• Lesta
  • Fat Contoller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2006, 14:46:22 »

My t'pence worth....

Sony used to be 'state of the art' but in recient years they're products have been less than they used to be. Had no end of problems with sony stuff....from incompatibility to just breaking down.....never been a big sony fan.

Only sony in my house now is my digi cube alarm clock and a cybershot digi cam 8-)
Everything imagined, exists......somewhere....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2006, 19:23:43 »

My Wega 100hz TV - the 4th one they have given me - has out of focus on left of screen (to the point of teletext being unreable), geometry wise, the top of the picture is 1" smaller than the bottom, and I have interference bands scrolling right to left all the time. As the is the 4th I've had, Sony UK have said thats just the way it is  >:(

My Sony alarm clock, which works OK, but is so bright it lights up the room. What a crap design.

I had a Sony DVD player, multiregion, but couldn't play NTSC disks.

There is always a story behind Sony junk now. Used to be good stuff, worse than the cheap Goodmans/Aiwa type rubbish now.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.