Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Milk Floats  (Read 7187 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Milk Floats
« on: 20 August 2019, 21:47:56 »

I knew Guffers ran one of these...

https://usedcars.nissan.co.uk/en/vehicles/nissan/leaf/e-24kwh-tekna-5-dr-hatchback-mqb3fwu

Those second hand prices make it a consideration for Omega replacement, currently I could charge an electric car for free at work. Number of floors at our multi-stories are decked out with charge points.

My commute is ~26/27 miles each way, I could charge it up at work, do return trip to home and back again then charge for free at work.

Mummy bus would remain for longer journeys when needed.

Hummmmm.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Milk Floats
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2019, 22:11:57 »

I've a friend who does a similar journey(Higham to the O2), where he can charge the car, and reckons that the cost difference between a paid-for diesel V40 and a nearly new BMW I3 would pay the finance fees. As he's got a PHD in maths, I'm not going to argue with him ;D  There are other financial advantages, as he then goes onto Pall Mall and the car is exempt from the congestion charge if he needs it. Then there's the other advantages of an EV, the smooth silent acceleration gives a big car feel to a small car. Personally, I'd buy one of the more ordinary hatchback full EVs, as the I3 has typical BMW suspension - it's rock hard and uncomfortable

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2019, 22:21:56 »

I reckon a lot of people are going to get stung with second hand milk floats, when they realise too late that they've bought one with a knackered battery.  ::)

A new Leaf battery is about 5 grand!  :o  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2019, 22:24:11 »

Reviews suggest they are lasting well with battery life, with ~50k mile examples still 90% battery life left.

Few London can companies ran them to 150k, no problems.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2019, 22:24:59 »

I've a friend who does a similar journey(Higham to the O2), where he can charge the car, and reckons that the cost difference between a paid-for diesel V40 and a nearly new BMW I3 would pay the finance fees. As he's got a PHD in maths, I'm not going to argue with him ;D  There are other financial advantages, as he then goes onto Pall Mall and the car is exempt from the congestion charge if he needs it. Then there's the other advantages of an EV, the smooth silent acceleration gives a big car feel to a small car. Personally, I'd buy one of the more ordinary hatchback full EVs, as the I3 has typical BMW suspension - it's rock hard and uncomfortable

Leaf also looks more normal, used prices are very good. Even at Nissan dealers used.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2019, 22:27:31 »

Yes your probably OK buying one from a franchised dealer, but privately or back street car lot?  ???  :-\

No thanks!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2019, 22:28:17 »

I’d buy one from Nissan, as per link above.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2019, 09:23:14 »

Jimmy seems to enjoy his eGolf :y

And by 'enjoy' I suspect I mean, it does the job it's designed for - takes him to work and back for free*

(*Free charging points where he works, obviously it costs per month..)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2019, 09:31:57 »

Jimmy seems to enjoy his eGolf :y

And by 'enjoy' I suspect I mean, it does the job it's designed for - takes him to work and back for free*

(*Free charging points where he works, obviously it costs per month..)

It's free here currently, although they reserve the right to change this. No doubt when demand outweighs the cost limit the company set, I could easily see in a few years they would charge, but on a very low rate even when introduced.

Likewise it would do the job, not exactly be exciting though.

On average I probably fill up twice a month in fuel, so £140 a month could be saved in fuel, throw in Zero road tax and it's £165 a month less.

Of course there is depreciation, but that applies to any replacement car.   

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2019, 09:37:48 »

There is a compelling argument for a commuter car - if my commute wasn't ~100 miles and/or there was a charging point at work (there are zero charging points at work - heck, there isn't even a guaranteed parking spot - or any charging points in the town the office is in), I might consider one.. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2019, 09:43:44 »

There is a compelling argument for a commuter car - if my commute wasn't ~100 miles and/or there was a charging point at work (there are zero charging points at work - heck, there isn't even a guaranteed parking spot - or any charging points in the town the office is in), I might consider one.. ;D

I am rather spoilt for this, I zero'd my trip other day. It's 60 miles from office, via car share buddy, home, then do a repeat on way back to office.

So even a 'low spec' 24Kwh Leaf would do the job. (I'd go for Technica trim though)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2019, 10:31:17 »

The MG ZS EV would be high on my list if I was going to buy a new commuter car. Although with no off-street parking, charging it is a problem

But I've mentioned before, if I was going to do a lot of miles going to work(again) I'd would be doing it in a >£500 car.
If I needed one tomorrow, I'd give my mate the £100 that the Rover 216 tourer I've just repaired the sills on owes him.

£200 car by the time it's MOTd and serviced, 40+mpg and very low cost to run - fix it if it breaks. Plus it's a reasonably sized estate so it's useful for carrying stuff.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 August 2019, 10:33:26 »

I am rather spoilt for this, I zero'd my trip other day. It's 60 miles from office, via car share buddy, home, then do a repeat on way back to office.

So even a 'low spec' 24Kwh Leaf would do the job. (I'd go for Technica trim though)

I do rather like the e-golf, ev's generally I find relaxing to commute in, they are also very nippy, much more than the 0-60 would suggest. Mine does 0-60 in 9.3s but is as quick 0-30 as the equivalent golf GTI. The flip side of that is the 60-90 mph performance is below the equivalent bhp diesel car.

A 60 mile round trip will be fine in all but significantly below zero temps, or until the car is significantly aged. Looking online, the car should be around 175k before you drop below 60 miles of range - even then, if you're charging at home and work - it shouldn't be an issue. My e-golf now has 12,000 miles on it (5 months' use  :o), the battery in that is 35.8kwh and I get a real world 125-130 miles, that's AC on, or heater and heated seats on, driving at normal speeds (no slipstreaming lorries  ;D).

One thing to note on some leafs, and that one you linked in particular, is that it only has a 3.3kw inverter on board. This means that there is almost no benefit to having a home wall box installed to charge it. The car will suck 3kw ish, through a normal 3 pin plug and will go 0-100% charged in 10-11hrs. The only way you can charge it faster is at a DC rapid charger. Leafs use the Chademo standard, which gives a max of about 50kw and would fully charge you in about 20mins. If you install the Zap Map app, you will be able to see where these are - there are loads inside the M25.

On cost, my golf is costing me about £25 pw more than my s80 - I think, and that assumes no out-of-routine maintenance bills and that I do all the work myself.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2019, 10:59:45 »

Thanks Jimmy  :y

I need to check what the chargers here are at work. I've no idea how much they push out.  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 August 2019, 12:27:07 »

I'm a dinosaur who will be 'dead and gone' soon, so my opinion on cars as 'white goods' is probably not relevant.... :) ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.