Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after problem after...  (Read 19460 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem after problem after...
« Reply #75 on: 19 November 2019, 18:22:18 »

Could be a loom issue :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 19 November 2019, 18:24:26 »

Wondering if you may have an intake air leak which is messing with the idle speed/ mixture, done any live data / check fuel trims ?
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 19 November 2019, 18:40:13 »

Wondering if you may have an intake air leak which is messing with the idle speed/ mixture, done any live data / check fuel trims ?
checked the lambdas where switching  :y engine coolant sensor  :y ecu voltage 13.6  :y
maf was 10 kgh :-\ on tickover ,which i thought low but not familiar with x25xe
didn't notice fuel trims, engine sounded right bar what i thought was a exhaust blow
stored codes for egr , maf voltage high and low (had been disconnected) and another, can't remember , nothing  relevant
no codes came back , no abs or autobox codes

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 19 November 2019, 18:55:03 »

just to add, i think it is an intermittent and very momentary fault ,possibly electrical , which i did not see happen during my visit ,car was warm, ran fine   :(

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 19 November 2019, 19:14:09 »

Tomorrow I'm going to check connections for alternator and earths.

Possible exhaust blow, yes, however that's just gone on last week, after the other one collapsed after 7 months.  ::) As you can see, Ive had a busy few weeks. About 23 years of car issues are happening all at once over a 2 month period.

Wish the car was just a touch cooler when you arrived Dave, would have been great for you to see the issue for yourself.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 19 November 2019, 19:21:37 »

Tomorrow I'm going to check connections for alternator and earths.

Possible exhaust blow, yes, however that's just gone on last week, after the other one collapsed after 7 months.  ::) As you can see, Ive had a busy few weeks. About 23 years of car issues are happening all at once over a 2 month period.

Wish the car was just a touch cooler when you arrived Dave, would have been great for you to see the issue for yourself.
intermittent faults NEVER occur when you want them too during diagnosis ,just when your driving ,usually miles from anywhere    ;D

indeed,you seem to be having more than your fair share of car issues  ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 19 November 2019, 19:26:30 »

I have considered vac / similar leak. The plenum's been off doing the DIS pack, and this did manifest itself after then... I am very aware that unless spot on, an air leak is very possible upon reassembly.. Might go over the engine with some carb spray, see if the revs change, tomorrow, too.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 19 November 2019, 22:40:41 »

reading through this with interest and if ive missed it i apologise but does the car ever stall or die whilst you are actually driving or just when you let the revs drop?.ie only cuts out at idle.
this would suggest fuel system,crank sensor ,relays etc are all fine and i would be looking at the idle control valve or its connector.this would also explain the poor starting as the revs could be held too low.have you tried a cold start with a tiny bit of throttle ?.also disregarding the actual throttle cable has anyone ever messed with the stop screw or has it worked loose.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 19 November 2019, 22:54:06 »

During driving, though after a few times of it happening I realised it was never whilst actually moving, but when stationary (eg: at roundabout/T junction), I'd move from P or N, into D. It may have happened differently a couple of times, too, say, off the accelerator, come to a stop, foot on brake, look down - engine's died..  but difficult to remember precisely.

There seems to be a 'sweet spot' when it happens - not immediately the car's satrted- because the idle is still high, not when the cars nicely warmed up over 90oC, but in between - idle has dropped to 500rpm, but the car's temp isn't up to normal operating temp yet.

Perhaps this is also related to, say, a drained battery which isn't having much charge put in it as fast as it could, so after those few mins the car's took out more than it's put in - after those few mins then the slow-to work alternator has finally brought the battery back up to a decent voltage... again, just a theory

idle control valve is a two min job to look at and check its operation, will add that to the list for tomorrow.  :y

stop screw for the TPS? Haven't noticed it recently, but last time I did it was in the correct place - but will check this. Has never been fettled with - still has the little blob of yellow paint on the screw/nut done by Opel in the factory.  :)

edit: Just to reiterate if I've not made it clear - we're not talking of a shakey idle which then shudders, and the engine dies - we're talking about a smooth idle - often the first I know of the engine cutting out is when I put my foot to the loud pedal and realise the revs are at 0. It just cuts out instantly, like the DISpack/ECU just loses all power(?)
« Last Edit: 19 November 2019, 22:57:18 by Diamond Black Geezer »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 20 November 2019, 12:07:07 »

Right after a night I gave her a go. The only difference since last run is temperature, ie stone cold engine.

Last night's run she didn't do it, though I added she was still perhaps a little warm.

This morning no long, drawn out wait for the engine to fire, and could not get the engine to 'die'

Last night tested the old relay, on 12v and opened up and checked. Cleaned the contacts, also used some brake cleaner (best thing I could think of closest to electrical contact cleaner, ie: leaves no residue.) The relay seemed to function fine, however, equally swapping the relay seems to have cured the problem.

I'm still holding my breath, and I'll use the old girl for work tonight, give her another road test, but we shall see...

Is it really possible for the fuel pump relay to cause both the random stalling and the slow start? The second, maybe, but I'm just not happy that the sudden engine death could be caused by this - unless someone knows better. (Likely  :D)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 20 November 2019, 18:48:13 »

which ever of the 2 relays you swapped BOTH are pretty important to get the car to start and idol  ;D
fuel pump needed for petrol ,other relay for spark
think triangle of fire ,fuel (petrol) and heat (spark ) plus air
fuel pump relay was a very common fault on carltons etc (it combined 2 relays and a diode)
the fault had just the same symptoms as you describe ,had it a few times over the years
i do hope you found the problem

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 20 November 2019, 21:01:05 »

which ever of the 2 relays you swapped BOTH are pretty important to get the car to start and idol  ;D
fuel pump needed for petrol ,other relay for injectors...

(think triangle of fire ,fuel (petrol) and heat (spark ) plus air
fuel pump relay was a very common fault on carltons etc (it combined 2 relays and a diode)
the fault had just the same symptoms as you describe ,had it a few times over the years)
Fixed :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20 November 2019, 21:25:06 »

fuel pump needed for petrol ,other relay for injectors...

(think triangle of fire ,fuel (petrol) and heat (spark ) plus air
the fault had just the same symptoms as you describe ,had it a few times over the years)
Fixed :y
:-[ oh yes ,injectors
my triangle of fire is a pile of twaddle too now  ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 20 November 2019, 21:26:14 »

So do I!!!

:D

Tomorrow she'll have had damn near 24 hrs sat in the cold so let's see how she starts. I have had the old relay apart as I say, so may swap it back - may not prove anything, if my cleaning has actually 'restored' it back to new. We'll see....

DG Ta for the edit. Just amazed I haven't snaffled a spare relay over the years, the scrap cars I've been in...

aaronjb

« Reply #89 on: 21 November 2019, 08:58:07 »

And? And? WE NEED TO KNOW MAN!

Actually my money is on the IACV (idle valve) at this point..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.