Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OIL COOLER  (Read 958 times)

Big Steve

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
OIL COOLER
« on: 24 March 2008, 11:06:57 »

Hi everyone.
                  It's been some time since i have been on the forum, i like the new look. Unfortunately the omega has been off the road for a while, reduced to driving the lad's Rover 400 (not the same). The problem is went to top the water up only to find it was full of sluge,
Had a word with the local garage & they tell me that the oil seals have gone on the oil cooler & leeked into the water system (they say a commen fault :question).
They say it's a big job, will be a hell of a game to clean the water system out & cost a few hundred pounds at the very least, now is this wright, i have ltd knowledge under the hood, so would i be able to do this working out of the Haynes or is there a how to on the forum.
Any help or advice would be great.
                                                  Thanks BIG STEVE.
IT'S AN OMEGA JIM BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: OIL COOLER
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2008, 11:28:46 »

£90 for new oil cooler kit (get kit, as individual parts come to much more), and about another £30 for odds and ends.  Special tools required - crowfoot spanners - do not be tempted to bend oil pipes, been there, done that.

Then, once done, get used to flushing it daily for a fortnight or so....
Grumpy old man

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2008, 13:22:24 »

The biggest pain in doing the oil cooler is cleaning out the Coolant System..
As The Boy has said for around £130 you will get everything you need to do the job.
I would do the Dowty Washers (on the coolant bridge) while i was there which are four washers with a rubber seal in the middle, they are around 60pence each if i remember correctly.. I have posted a link of a picture below, the Coolant Bridge is the thing at the back of the picture which goes from one head to the other. The Dowty Washers go, one under the coolant bridge and one above then the bolt goes through them.... watch the bolts though as they are hollow and easily snap cost around £5 if they do!! You can see the Oil Cooler plate which has the to pipes coming from the rear at the botton of the "V".... hope that makes sense :y
I reckon it would take about 3 hours to do on your first one :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192574209
« Last Edit: 24 March 2008, 13:28:03 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Big Steve

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2008, 16:45:58 »

£90 for new oil cooler kit (get kit, as individual parts come to much more), and about another £30 for odds and ends.  Special tools required - crowfoot spanners - do not be tempted to bend oil pipes, been there, done that.

Then, once done, get used to flushing it daily for a fortnight or so....

Where would be the best place to get the kit from & what would the odds & ends be, as i said my mechanical knowledge is ltd so what is a crowfoot spanner.

Big Steve

• Intermediate Member
  • Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2008, 16:57:28 »

The biggest pain in doing the oil cooler is cleaning out the Coolant System..
As The Boy has said for around £130 you will get everything you need to do the job.
I would do the Dowty Washers (on the coolant bridge) while i was there which are four washers with a rubber seal in the middle, they are around 60pence each if i remember correctly.. I have posted a link of a picture below, the Coolant Bridge is the thing at the back of the picture which goes from one head to the other. The Dowty Washers go, one under the coolant bridge and one above then the bolt
goes through them.... watch the bolts though as they are hollow and easily snap cost around £5 if they do!! You can see the Oil Cooler plate which has the to pipes coming from the rear at the botton of the "V".... hope that makes sense :y
I reckon it would take about 3 hours to do on your first one :y

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1192574209

Is it 3 hours to do the lot or just the washers, after looking at the book i'm not sure i can manage this job :-/ might end up doing more harm than good.
The car may have to stay broken :'(

Thanks for the advice anyway :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2008, 18:14:59 »

Honestly not to difficult mate.

3 hours to do the oil cooler and refit everything i reckon on your first go.
The flushing out is the biggest pain only cause you have to keep flushing out the water system..
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.