Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: End of new build petrol cars...  (Read 6393 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
End of new build petrol cars...
« on: 05 February 2020, 19:17:12 »

..in 2035. I think my nice rare silver 3.2 Elite just jumped a grand in value. ::)

aaronjb

Re: End of new build petrol cars...
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2020, 19:25:18 »

Yep only 15 years left for me to finish that kit car...

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2020, 19:26:35 »

..in 2035. I think my nice rare silver 3.2 Elite just jumped a grand in value. ::)
It won't happen. That's 15 years away, far too little time to implement such a radical change. If other countries stick to less radical time scales, then the manufacturers will just move to where the market is and stick two fingers up at us.
Can you imagine this country getting the infrastructure in place to support millions of electric vehicles in 15 years?

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2020, 19:47:06 »

It won't happen. That's 15 years away, far too little time to implement such a radical change. If other countries stick to less radical time scales, then the manufacturers will just move to where the market is and stick two fingers up at us.
Can you imagine this country getting the infrastructure in place to support millions of electric vehicles in 15 years?

Spot on , all talk it won't happen.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2020, 20:29:45 »

Yep only 15 years left for me to finish that kit car...

so ... get  move on!  ;D ;D ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2020, 20:45:51 »

It won't matter to many. Most of the old farts on here will be dead and gone by 2035. :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2020, 20:55:17 »

Even if they can pull off the infrastructure/solve the generation of electricity by then it will be a good many more years before ICE vehicles are gone from the roads,unless they start taxing them beyond affordable limits,but then where does the government recoup the loss of revenue from VED fuel tax etc from?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2020, 21:19:11 »

It'll be great for the high street as no-one will be able to get to the out of town retail parks.  :y

Even horses will be banned in case they fart!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2020, 21:21:21 »

It'll be great for the high street as no-one will be able to get to the out of town retail parks.  :y

Even horses will be banned in case they fart!  ;D
And they certainly can fart. When the one over the road lets rip, you can hear it all over the road.
I, being the infantile bastard that I am, piss myself laughing every time. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2020, 23:21:58 »

It won't matter to many. Most of the old farts on here will be dead and gone by 2035. :)

speak for yourself .....  ::) ;D ;D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2020, 00:46:48 »

Anyone heard that at these motorway service stations with charging points for your EV, the £ of leccy equates to the same as petrol/diesel?! So the pence per mile is identical to ICE car. Yyyup, astonishingly enough theyre using it as a cash cow, whodathunkit?

One definite result of widespread EVs I dont know if anyone else cynical has thought of....electricity prices going through the roof.

Unless there's some smart meter that can tell what 'kind' of electric you're using can be designed ie: you pay normal rate for general household useage, but pay 'premium' rate for EV electric. If not, well, as electric will be the new sought after commodity as oil is now....we all might be at the mercy of the utilities companies....even more so than we are now!

My thoughts, anyway  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2020, 08:03:41 »

In 2035 if I'm still around I'll be 81 so quite honestly my driving days will probably be over if I'm sensible.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2020, 08:07:28 »

So why will your driving days be over? Everything will be self drive as well

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 February 2020, 08:57:09 »

So why will your driving days be over? Everything will be self drive as well

Always said that I will give up driving at 80 , don't want to be one of those old duffers that has never had an accident but caused several , in my opinion over 80 is too old to drive.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2020, 09:18:26 »

Anyone heard that at these motorway service stations with charging points for your EV, the £ of leccy equates to the same as petrol/diesel?! So the pence per mile is identical to ICE car. Yyyup, astonishingly enough theyre using it as a cash cow, whodathunkit?

Hm, where's Jimmy when you need him? He makes fairly regular use of these things IIRC..

Always said that I will give up driving at 80 , don't want to be one of those old duffers that has never had an accident but caused several , in my opinion over 80 is too old to drive.

If PE11 is anything like PE6 (the Deepings) where my folks live, you're going to want to move by then, then! There's bugger all out there ;D Although they do at least have a decent bus service into Stamford (they're 76 & 72 respectively, Dad - 72 - still drives, Mum gave that up a few years after she passed her test and bounced his car off the gate post while he was on deployment for the Gulf War ;D)

but then where does the government recoup the loss of revenue from VED fuel tax etc from?

What makes you think they aren't going to start taxing electric cars? ;) They'll either do that, or as DBG says, they'll mandate separate feeds/smart meters for charging cars and will tax that, instead. Either way, they'll get their pound of flesh, don't worry!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.