Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: End of new build petrol cars...  (Read 6434 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
Re: End of new build petrol cars...
« Reply #45 on: 19 February 2020, 19:14:33 »

Oh, it's not just cars, either. The UK's whole future is looking distinctly dystopian.

"All UK airports must close by 2050 for the country to reach its target of net zero climate emissions by then, scientists say.

Because electric or zero-emission aircraft cannot be developed in time, most British airports will need to close by the end of this decade, and all flying will have to stop by 2050 until non-polluting versions are available.

Electrification of surface transport, rail and road, needs to be rapid, with the phasing out of all development of petrol and diesel cars immediately. Even if all private cars are electric, the amount of traffic will have to fall to 60% of 2020 levels by 2050, and all cars will have to be smaller.

The report also suggests that ships, currently heavy users of fossil fuels, need to convert to electric propulsion in order to allow for necessary imports and exports.

Although such luxuries as flying away on holiday and driving large cars will have to be foregone, and eating beef and lamb curtailed, the scientists say that life could be just as rich as today.

They say: “… sports, social life, eating, hobbies, games, computing, reading, TV, music, radio, volunteering (and sleeping!) We can all do more of these without any impact on emissions”."

This is an extract of a government-funded report (published yesterday) by, yes you've guessed it, Cambridge University.  ::) ::)

https://climatenewsnetwork.net/uk-airports-must-shut-to-reach-2050-climate-target

Meanwhile Patrick Moore, the ex co-founder of Greenpeace (a very ecologically-minded chap) stated, two days ago, "For those who are focused on the past 150 yrs, I suggest beginning with The Big Picture. Alarmists tend to ignore everything before 1850 because it does not support their fairytale “climate emergency” Actually, absolutely nothing supports a “climate emergency”. It is a meme."

Exactly, Mr Moore. :y :y

« Last Edit: 19 February 2020, 19:16:23 by Migalot »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 February 2020, 20:23:50 »

I think all humans are hypocrites in a way, there is no way we can influence what’s happening to this planets weather, What will be will be, end of.
Laying a rubber road.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 February 2020, 23:08:42 »

Zero emission aircraft? What have they been smoking. ;D

Oh, wait!.. :-[
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20 February 2020, 08:04:27 »

It won't matter to many. Most of the old farts on here will be dead and gone by 2035. :)

Traditionally members of my family have bought a brand new car on the day they retire.
One Grandad bought an allagro vandom plahhhhhh, another a consol Capri. Father bought a focus 2.0 ghia ( and is on his third brand new focus in 20 years.) Father in law bought a new mk4 astra (which my son has with just 60k in 20 years - 45k in the last 3 yesrs)
So given my current retirement plans* it looks like 2037 is about my most likely date.
I look forward to owning an electric car.  Or not.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 21 queries.